Broken windscreen

Shazbot

So I took the Boxster to work to give it a run just so it doesn't get fat and lazy (like its owner) and roof down on the way home a three axle tipper in front lobs what sounded like a full metal jacket 7.62 up from the road or stuck in its tread, heard a loud pop but nothing obvious , five miles down the road a meandering crack appears in the bottom o/s corner of the screen and creeps to about 9 inches at a 45 degree squirrely angle- BUGGER !

On inspection the stone has hit right down in the lower corner and left a full on bullet strike in the black edge from which the crack has developed.

Luckily insurance covers it (with the aid of my £100 excess) so being replaced on Tuesday at work as I can get it indoors.

On reflection probably lucky it didn't hit the A pillar as it would have left a right old dint.

windscreen resize.jpg

It literally does look like a bullets hit it !  Good luck with the repair mate

I'm insured with Sheilas Wheels (I am not confused no.....) and they use Autoglass. I spoke to a person rather than booking online and made it clear it was for a 986, integral radio aerial and sun strip .

Will ensure the fitter checks things first and will ask if they mind me taking a few snaps as they go along.

So we'll see Tuesday, what could possibly go wrong........................:whistle1:

I had my screen replaced last summer after similar bullet type projectile from the back of skip lorry.  Autoglass through Direct line.  Like you I told them the spec when I booked it.  I was pretty anxious after reading some of the horror stories on this forum.  Guy turned up, asked him if he'd done a Boxster before, said he had.  He checked the glass (Pilkington) was right before starting to remove the old screen.  He clearly had done Boxsters before, he knew exactly what trim he needed to remove, where all the connections were, etc.  Thoroughly professional job, took him about two hours, even hoovered the car out when he was done.

1 hour ago, Shazbot said:

what could possibly go wrong

Well had to go to Autoglass 3 times, wrong screen, no top tint, then one with but not right again, 3rd time was OK, had the excess waived for troubles.....

Well sit down children I'm going to tell you a story.............

Autoglass turned up, I mentioned to the fitter that I wanted to take a couple of pictures and that Autoglass had had a couple of naysayers on here.

He assured me he had done a few Boxsters and would make sure everything was done well.

The screen he was given was indeed for a 986 BUT it had two antenna , I assume to cater for PCM equipped cars. we had a chat and I said I was happy to have it fitted as you can't really see the additional antenna as it sits close to the nearside A pillar.

However it turns out that the connectors are all wrong and too many of them!

To quote Blackadder " Today I made a single entry in my diary,    BUGGER!"

He spoke to Autoglass technical and they confirmed that there is a different screen for the radio only antenna equipped windscreen.

So booked in for Monday now.

The story continues...............

It took them three attempts to turn up with the correct screen for me. 

I ended up with an OEM Porsche screen delivered from an OPC and two highly experienced technicians to carefully fit it at my home.  So it all turned out well in the end.  

Persevere... 😇 

54 minutes ago, the baron said:

I have a couple of largish chips in mine and thousands of small ones (Screen is 23yrs old) but have put off changing due to all these horror stories....

I know what you mean, but I expect that for every person that has issues and posts about it on here, there will be many more that don't and everything is just fine. 

Saying that mine really could do with being replaced at some point, but more to do with laziness on my part tbh for not getting it done, rather then anything else. 

55 minutes ago, the baron said:

I have a couple of largish chips in mine and thousands of small ones (Screen is 23yrs old) but have put off changing due to all these horror stories....

Since its given you 23 years of good service, maybe just get it done by Porsche. Even if it were £1000 (which I doubt) that'd be less that £50 per year.

1 hour ago, Gutley said:

Since its given you 23 years of good service, maybe just get it done by Porsche. Even if it were £1000 (which I doubt) that'd be less that £50 per year.

A dealer will just call in Autoglass, National windscreens etc to do it as it's easier. Used to do lots of dealer stuff when I fitted windscreens years ago.

24 minutes ago, Darren Sapsford said:

A dealer will just call in Autoglass, National windscreens etc to do it as it's easier. Used to do lots of dealer stuff when I fitted windscreens years ago.

I'm surprised. After all, they don't call in Kwik Fit to fit tyres. Why would they pass up the chance of their own labour rates.

4 minutes ago, Gutley said:

I'm surprised. After all, they don't call in Kwik Fit to fit tyres. Why would they pass up the chance of their own labour rates.

Tyres are realistically quite easy to fit and cheap to rebalance if not quite perfect first time, 'screens cost if you get them wrong.

3 hours ago, the baron said:

There's a chap called Paul who is very well regarded on Pistonheads (goes by glassman on the forum). His website: http://www.glasstecpaul.com/

Based down south, but gave me a recommendation for someone up north, when I needed a replacement screen on my last 986. My insurance policy has an excess of £50 for their approved suppliers (Autoglass), or £70 for non-approved your choice.

Paul's contact sourced an original screen and trim from OPC, and did a professional job. Just cost me the £70 excess.

2 hours ago, Gutley said:

They probably sub it out, and then charge you their own labour rate.

Archived