Carbon Fibre

TROOPER88

Hi

Currently got a 2002 Speed Yellow S that had a lot of options when new it seems!!

It has the xenon headlights, embossed headrests, extended leather etc etc

It also has (and I have never owned one before with this), carbon fibre hand brake lever and gear knob.

How rare are they? They are actually really, really lovely :) 

1 minute ago, TROOPER88 said:

I think it is factory: option codes X47 and X58

Cheers 

Well you learn something everyday, never seen it in a Porsche, Im sure it looks great 👍

37 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

This link is the more normal Tequipment stuff. I think there was a carbon pack as you can definitely get the carbon dash inlays. I think you can get the centre dash surround in carbon and maybe also the clock surround. I've also seen but not sure if aftermarket carbon for door bin lids and door handles. 

14 minutes ago, topradio said:

I bought an immaculate one in black leather about 15 years ago on eBay for less than £100

Steve Strange has one at the mo for £250.

The gear knob, second hand seems even rarer; I can find one new for about 1k

Real OEM quality carbon is not cheap.  I know, I used to make aero parts for Jaguar and AM as well as Noble bodywork.

Did someone say carbon lol.......

L9ntzuy.jpg

Carbon has been on the options list since the 993........its always been expensive on the options list and therefore rare.......I make a “hobby” out of sourcing the parts to retrofit 

nb certain parts where never available from Porsche but aftermarket options are available eg the Sport Chrono housing ....

PiGj8QX.jpg

if you go by the prices on design911, the gear knob, console, centre vent and handbrake come to around £9k plus VAT.  My cars probably worth a quarter of that lol.

Seriously, if I did end up selling my car I would have to split the carbon pieces out to sell separately.  Perhaps not the kick plates, but certainly things that also fit the 996.  They are all in great condition and I could probably get a couple of £k for them

4 minutes ago, mvw said:

if you go by the prices on design911, the gear knob, console, centre vent and handbrake come to around £9k plus VAT.  My cars probably worth a quarter of that lol.

Seriously, if I did end up selling my car I would have to split the carbon pieces out to sell separately.  Perhaps not the kick plates, but certainly things that also fit the 996.  They are all in great condition and I could probably get a couple of £k for them

This is the issue I may have.

The car is a cat N speed yellow 986 S that is now fabulous.

It has the carbon gear knob, carbon handbrake lever, 18'' Sport Design wheels that are like new (must have been refurbished) plus the xenons.

It would be a shame to split the parts up but the car has little value.

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

This is the issue I may have.

The car is a cat N speed yellow 986 S that is now fabulous.

It has the carbon gear knob, carbon handbrake lever, 18'' Sport Design wheels that are like new (must have been refurbished) plus the xenons.

It would be a shame to split the parts up but the car has little value.

With those parts to break separately if the car even become a non runner you could well get enough back to get a similar example without an insurance Cat against it. In the meantime if the car is good, just enjoy with these parts fitted it would be my recommendation and don't worry about the history.

Yes those parts would have been mega expensive when new....someone spent a lot of that car ticking a lot of rare option boxes.......those where in the early days of carbon trim from porsche as well so even rarer than on current models...........the problem you have is that the parts are aimed at cars with a relatively low market value ie 986/996 which limits the value of the parts on the second hand market eg a 993 carbon handbrake in new condition is worth >£1,000 on the open maret (ask me how I know lol) whereas the equivalent on the 986/996 market is worth about 25% of that .......unfortunaley its more to do with the relative value of the car it fits than the value of the actual part itself 😉

ps you cannot use Design911 prices as a guide to the open market.....they simply source from Porsche so are limited by Porsche prices.....often with older parts like this they are made to order by the OEM manufacturer and depending on the part you have to wait for x number of order to be placed for your market eg RHD if a RHD specific part.....so you can end up waiting for years and they will class them as NLA (No longer available)...

51 minutes ago, golfprorich said:

So it will be listed on ebay for............? 😀

Tree fiddy.

If it was sold as 996 GT3 you might get a mark up ...

On 5/4/2020 at 3:04 PM, Jonttt said:

unfortunaley its more to do with the relative value of the car it fits than the value of the actual part itself 😉

Or the likely purchasing power of their owners. 

Archived