Leaks from the hoses

StephenM

1 minute ago, bally4563 said:

Go careful with the Ali end it will be stuck fast and require the hose to collapse in to get it out, cut the hose off to expose the metal ferrule

Would you mind explaining in a bit more detail what you mean? If you have a process that would be ideal. I'd love to avoid having to do the crossover pipes and so if there is a technique that would be great.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Lennym1984 said:

Would you mind explaining in a bit more detail what you mean? If you have a process that would be ideal. I'd love to avoid having to do the crossover pipes and so if there is a technique that would be great.

Get a Stanley knife and cut the hose off at the Ali pipe Union, which will expose the steel ferrule end of the hose going into the Ali crossover pipe, taking your time with a screwdriver and a hammer collapse it in, till you can get to a point where you can get mole grips on and tease it out, that’s how I did all four ends on the two pipes I’ve removed cos they were seized sold!! Just take your time

6 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Get a Stanley knife and cut the hose off at the Ali pipe Union, which will expose the steel ferrule end of the hose going into the Ali crossover pipe, taking your time with a screwdriver and a hammer collapse it in, till you can get to a point where you can get mole grips on and tease it out, that’s how I did all four ends on the two pipes I’ve removed cos they were seized sold!! Just take your time

Bottom hose

Making it clear you end up with something like this Obviously on this one one end levered out but was tight

@bally4563 That's very helpful thanks. I had imagined that such an approach would be possible but whenever I have discussed it with people they have always seemed intent on removing the old pipe intact (which seems a bit pointless to me given that it is - by the time it needs replacing - scrap).

Cheers! Have a vritual pint on me

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Mine just needed front section doing, list below is the parts I changed, all bought them from 9Apart 01706824053

997 106 711 01 £27.75

997 106 720 01 £28.83

997 106 728 03 £17.70

997 106 624 03 £14

997 106 623 03 £14

997 106 627 03 £17.75

Prices not including VAT

Did you get Porsche parts? £14 for a coolant return pipe 997 106 624 03 seems very cheap!

997 106 711 01 is also half price...?

16 minutes ago, ricof said:

Did you get Porsche parts? £14 for a coolant return pipe 997 106 624 03 seems very cheap!

997 106 711 01 is also half price...?

4  years ago since I bought them, Porsche have probably doubled prices since as they are selling thousands of them 😔

6 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

4  years ago since I bought them, Porsche have probably doubled prices since as they are selling thousands of them 😔

Ah, yes, that would make sense. 

51 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Funny how a lot of these are being reported at present, obviously a lot of standing cars with acidic anti freeze

Or just simply not being used, so drips are showing up on the ground even from a minor weep rather than dispersing in airflow when being driven.

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Or just simply not being used, so drips are showing up on the ground even from a minor weep rather than dispersing in airflow when being driven.

Could be but as I said never known so many reported all at the same time.

Dropped mine off at my mechanic today - he’s recently done exactly the same on his own 997 and another 2 987’s so tally’s with the common theme. My assumption is that around 10years old, things start to wear out 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I today fixed my hoses using the method @bally4563 described. It was pretty tedious but so far, no leaks.

If you are paying somebody else, I can totally see why they drop the subframe and replace the whole lot. From a time perspective it is probably quicker too - it took me about 4 hours to do one side.

For the diyer however, the "bally method" will save you quite a lot. 

1 hour ago, Mattman42 said:

Finishing this off for me and to cheer @bally4563 up a little for all his hard work - picked mine up today after having all the hoses and cross pipes replaced - £812 including VAT from my Indy 😩

That is cheap. Parts alone on mine were £520 inc VAT.

6 hours ago, Mattman42 said:

Finishing this off for me and to cheer @bally4563 up a little for all his hard work - picked mine up today after having all the hoses and cross pipes replaced - £812 including VAT from my Indy 😩

Which Indy is this if you don’t mind me asking?

Archived