Buy a GTS now or wait for the 4.0? Selling my AMG GT-S

djy

Hi all, 

I'm feeling drawn back to Boxster ownership, having sold my 981 Boxster S for my current car, a Mercedes AMG GT-S. 

I'm looking at this: https://www.junction17cars.co.uk/stock/11015716-porsche-718-2.5-t-gts-pdk-s-s-2dr/

It's quite a basic spec, I love this colour and the interior and they've given me a good deal to buy my AMG GT-S and the Boxster price is good. 

I'm just hesitating on going for it. I've driven the 718 and the 718 S and I love the power. But I've not driven the GTS yet. I loved the chassis, it felt so much more nimble than my 981, but I remember getting back into my 981 S and loving the engine. 

I really can't make up my mind whether to take the gamble and go for a 4-cylinder, or whether I will get frustrated that it doesn't rev or sound like my 981 S used to. I'm still wondering whether to wait it out and get a 4.0 litre GTS next year. 

Any thoughts on residual values of the 718 GTS 4-cylinder over the next year? I see they've already taken quite a dip, with this one at £49k, having been previously advertised for £55k. Anyone know this particular car?

Oh, and does anyone want to buy my AMG GT-S?

a7APeXGD.jpg?0527

Thanks,

Dan

I imagine all cars will have taken a dip just now, especially "toys."

That looks stunning imo.

As to whether you can live with how it revs and sounds, you have driven a 718S so only you can answer that. 

If you are serious about it, make a cheeky offer of a deal as this is imo a very good time to buy. No matter what they have offered you for yours, they will make thousands on the deal, so just say X to change is what I'm willing to do in the current climate.

I'm kicking myself as bought a new DD in October last year and a new bike in March last year as right now I know I could get better deals buying online due to the current situation.

Mmmm the only comment I will make is a mate who chopped in his 992 for a 718 ....he knows Porsche well and had driven the 718’s on numerous occasions before......but the ownership experience has left him cold and he is looking to offload it after a month or so.....there is (may have gone now) a 4 litre at virtually list on the market last week....personally I would hold out for one of those In GTS guise as I don’t think you will need to get on the list to pick one up virtually new at around list ....but who knows

Personally I would wait for a 4litre Gts with a lovely 6 cylinder engine or a 981 GTS.

I think the value of the 4 cylinder turbos will take a hammering once the 6 cylinders are more readily available 👍

Love the Merc tbh, and in that colour that's just beautiful.  a guy at work has one as a toy to drive into work when the weather is good.  718 not for me I'd wait for the GTS if it was me. I don't think the 718 would do it for you if you miss the 981s. 

The 4.0 GTS will cost £25-30k more than the 718 GTS in the advert. Cars are now more likely to devalue quicker so if you are not so worried about that and want a car for driving I'd opt for the 4.0GTS

As the buying market will be smaller going forward, well specced cars are the ones that will hold their prices better, moving forward in the next few months dealers are looking to move stock even if its at cost to get some revenue in. I know of a couple of sales where this has happened.

Sound wise the new cars dont sound like the old ones, a sign is plenty of new GT4 owners looking for other exhaust options?

1 hour ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Personally I would wait for a 4litre Gts with a lovely 6 cylinder engine or a 981 GTS.

I think the value of the 4 cylinder turbos will take a hammering once the 6 cylinders are more readily available 👍

I would think all cars will take a hammering? Will be a lot less people buying after October, Already lots of 718 GT4's and Spyders for sale with people trying to flip or get shot of?

21 hours ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I would think all cars will take a hammering? Will be a lot less people buying after October, Already lots of 718 GT4's and Spyders for sale with people trying to flip or get shot of?

One potential upside to this is it may deter people from buying these cars to sell on and those just wanting to drive them get a chance. 

2 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

One potential upside to this is it may deter people from buying these cars to sell on and those just wanting to drive them get a chance. 

Yes hopefully , nothing more frustrating than a flipper, i hope they get their fingers burnt this time?

On 5/27/2020 at 1:42 PM, djy said:

Hi all, 

I'm feeling drawn back to Boxster ownership, having sold my 981 Boxster S for my current car, a Mercedes AMG GT-S. 

I'm looking at this: https://www.junction17cars.co.uk/stock/11015716-porsche-718-2.5-t-gts-pdk-s-s-2dr/

It's quite a basic spec, I love this colour and the interior and they've given me a good deal to buy my AMG GT-S and the Boxster price is good. 

I'm just hesitating on going for it. I've driven the 718 and the 718 S and I love the power. But I've not driven the GTS yet. I loved the chassis, it felt so much more nimble than my 981, but I remember getting back into my 981 S and loving the engine. 

I really can't make up my mind whether to take the gamble and go for a 4-cylinder, or whether I will get frustrated that it doesn't rev or sound like my 981 S used to. I'm still wondering whether to wait it out and get a 4.0 litre GTS next year. 

Any thoughts on residual values of the 718 GTS 4-cylinder over the next year? I see they've already taken quite a dip, with this one at £49k, having been previously advertised for £55k. Anyone know this particular car?

Oh, and does anyone want to buy my AMG GT-S?

a7APeXGD.jpg?0527

Thanks,

Dan

Would like to here more about your AMG GT-S ownership experience please?

Just spoken to Porsche Centre Exeter about a build slot for the GTS 4.0 and was told nothing available until next year 😞

I should think that all manufacturers, Porsche included, are taking the opportunity of the general worldwide slowdown/shutdown to mop up excess stock in both the new and used markets enabling them to generate waiting lists and maintain margin.

1 hour ago, mrbikerdood said:

Just spoken to Porsche Centre Exeter about a build slot for the GTS 4.0 and was told nothing available until next year 😞

Theoretically Si I should have a build slot around September, for a proper one with a PDK box! (😂😂) but I'm sure that will have slipped. Now OPC has reopened I'm waiting to see. I'm sure everything will have slipped back, not least for the reasons @topradio mentions above. I first spoke to the OPC last year about this. 

7 hours ago, mrbikerdood said:

I reckon hes telling you porkies, they have slots available they just dont want to give them out, its seems they are holding them back and dribble them in?

24 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I reckon hes telling you porkies, they have slots available they just dont want to give them out, its seems they are holding them back and dribble them in?

Mother fcukers 🤬🤬🤬🤬

56 minutes ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Is that from experience Mike or just your thoughts. It may well be right but seems a bit odd if they are struggling with filling slots. 

1 hour ago, JohnSyn said:

Is that from experience Mike or just your thoughts. It may well be right but seems a bit odd if they are struggling with filling slots. 

I dont think slots are empty as the dealers take them rather than lose them ,I enquired about a 911 for sale at Reading about 6 weeks ago and during the conversation the possiblity of a Gts this year popped up?

I do think they juggle as when i delayed my car as i didnt want it in the winter they gave the allocation to someone else and just pushed me back.

Mate has just done a deal on a Miami Blue 718 Spider from an OPC......he chopped in a 992 convertible for an orange 718 boxster last month as that was his cheapest exit route and has now done a great deal chopping in the boxster on a delivery mileage awesome colour 4.0 Spider.........sometimes you have to get creative lol

1 hour ago, MIkeyv60 said:

I do think they juggle as when i delayed my car as i didnt want it in the winter they gave the allocation to someone else and just pushed me back

I'm sure you are right Mike on this, they have people on lists and move them about as it suits them. 

Archived