Potential oil leak when warm

Cheddar Bob

4 hours ago, Bodge50 said:

Suggest no further unnecessary driving until checked - similar symptoms to my first Boxster ! Took it to Indie for investigation- he removed gearbox and ran engine for over an hour before oil stated to weep from IMS bearing !! Hope this is not the same as your car - it can be a costly repair. 

The IMS bearing itself won't leak as such. It's the outer seal that will leak or if the bearing seals themselves have perished it will let the grease out and oil in but this doesn't come out the engine casing unless the IMS seal has failed. If you can see a leak from the IMS area then you can remove and change the seal and you can then do some inspection of the shaft and bearing and decide whether to change it. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Bodge50 said:

Suggest no further unnecessary driving until checked - similar symptoms to my first Boxster ! Took it to Indie for investigation- he removed gearbox and ran engine for over an hour before oil stated to weep from IMS bearing !! Hope this is not the same as your car - it can be a costly repair. 

it doesnt seem to always want to leave oil behind. But thanks for the advice. i like knoghton BTW, one of my depots is in Presteigne, im there regular.

update, so yes i have a leak...  heres the video, i've sent this to Lee at CPS and will go from there...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOSftNZzeR9iyCba-m8TpwAddp7t7g64k2eNBkaJRCfFC-XOIx5_J2qHjVl8RQOeQ?key=MGpUWF9TZmg0RDBOU010RS1NcE14ZzFnRklaV0J3

im amazed though with this going on the ramp at CPS that it wasn't picked up by the fitter, assuming of course in April/May this was like this...

9 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

update, so yes i have a leak...  heres the video, i've sent this to Lee at CPS and will go from there...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOSftNZzeR9iyCba-m8TpwAddp7t7g64k2eNBkaJRCfFC-XOIx5_J2qHjVl8RQOeQ?key=MGpUWF9TZmg0RDBOU010RS1NcE14ZzFnRklaV0J3

im amazed though with this going on the ramp at CPS that it wasn't picked up by the fitter, assuming of course in April/May this was like this...

If it was like this in April/May, wouldn’t you have spotted the oil on your drive earlier?

5 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

If it was like this in April/May, wouldn’t you have spotted the oil on your drive earlier?

nope. unless you spend time looking under cars after you get in them, drive off, stop then walk back just in case. its parked in the same spot constantly.

I noticed this after parking it at work.

So I've just got under the car using a curb and wiped the below with wet wipes. I'll put a piece of card under the car tonight see what comes out of it. 

It's hot now whilst I'm typing and no sign of a leak....😶🤔

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

nope. unless you spend time looking under cars after you get in them, drive off, stop then walk back just in case. its parked in the same spot constantly.

I noticed this after parking it at work.

If it had been dripping since April/May there should be a fair old oil patch on your drive by now. Is there?

32 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

If it had been dripping since April/May there should be a fair old oil patch on your drive by now. Is there?

There's a patch about the size of your hand. 

I was parked at my mates house Sunday. Left a spot there to after s one hour drive. He noticed it when I drive off

29 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

There's a patch about the size of your hand. 

I was parked at my mates house Sunday. Left a spot there to after s one hour drive. He noticed it when I drive off

Good luck getting it sorted. Hope it’s not to painful on the wallet.

13 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Good luck getting it sorted. Hope it’s not to painful on the wallet.

Well looking at the history and seeing the clutch and ive just checked the info in my emails from the dealer they think the ims and RMS were changed 6000miles ago or so at the same time. 

I'll call up the garage who replaced it tomorrow and find out. 

I'll see what's on the card in the morning. 

Do you Have and spray gunk? 
I’d be tempted to take it to a jet wash, spray a load of heavy degreaser in that region and then leave for a bit before jet washing it off. Better chance as seeing what’s going in when you get home after the air drying. 

13 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

I’m going out on a limb here and saying, it’s not the coil tubes 😬

You're quite safe with that assessment 👍 not the coil/plug oil tubes...

8 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Do you Have and spray gunk? 
I’d be tempted to take it to a jet wash, spray a load of heavy degreaser in that region and then leave for a bit before jet washing it off. Better chance as seeing what’s going in when you get home after the air drying. 

Yes I thought that would be a good start point. 

I'll take the car to work Saturday and then I can use some products there. 

No oil this morning.....was left hot last night. Not a drop. Wtf 

17 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Yes I thought that would be a good start point. 

I'll take the car to work Saturday and then I can use some products there. 

No oil this morning.....was left hot last night. Not a drop. Wtf 

From the video it’s clear there’s oil where there shouldn’t be.

It’s unlikely (I’ve not met Lee but only heard good stuff) he’d have ignored a situation like the video shows. 

What could be useful next steps, clean up and inspect for yourself and make/post another video to gain insight from those here with a little know-how. 

Good luck, whatever it is, it will be manageable. 

3 hours ago, Mr96er said:

From the video it’s clear there’s oil where there shouldn’t be.

It’s unlikely (I’ve not met Lee but only heard good stuff) he’d have ignored a situation like the video shows. 

What could be useful next steps, clean up and inspect for yourself and make/post another video to gain insight from those here with a little know-how. 

Good luck, whatever it is, it will be manageable. 

ah I see where this has been going now. I wondered why posts appeared very defensive. I think someone has misunderstood my comment. 

When I said I cant believe CPS didn't pick this up, translates as, Lee thoroughly went through my car and it is not something he would miss. :)

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

ah I see where this has been going now. I wondered why posts appeared very defensive. I think someone has misunderstood my comment. 

When I said I cant believe CPS didn't pick this up, translates as, Lee thoroughly went through my car and it is not something he would miss. :)

I think you've dug yourself out of that hole...

58 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

I think you've dug yourself out of that hole...

I didn't realise I was in one! but then I guess you/others wont have time to read my other posts and see. Check out my comments about cps elsewhere on the site, all excellent. put your pitch forks away 😝

17 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I didn't realise I was in one! but then I guess you/others wont have time to read my other posts and see. Check out my comments about cps elsewhere on the site, all excellent. put your pitch forks away 😝

No, I have seen you are supportive and believe it or not (and maybe worryingly) I do read many of your posts!.  Not near enough for me to use CPS alas.

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

No, I have seen you are supportive and believe it or not (and maybe worryingly) I do read many of your posts!.  Not near enough for me to use CPS alas.

Likewise. It’s all good. I simply mentioned it for a “when did it start/is it getting worse” perspective. 

32 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

Likewise. It’s all good. I simply mentioned it for a “when did it start/is it getting worse” perspective. 

well its been almost 24 hours, very warm outside and i left the car heated up last night and not  a drop...... WFT

in my own way im supportive :)

ok so, this morning I drove the car hard to work, which potentially is a mistake... however after about two hours of standing still a watch faced sized drip was on the piece of card. 

I've spoken to CPS and the car is booked in on Thursday for an oil change and an inspection. The clutch was changed at 77k, car is now on 82k, however I have called the garage who changed the clutch, aintree clutch and gearboxes, and they just changed the clutch assembly. They said they wouldn't change that part and only carry out clutch replacements. 

Other paperwork is from an OPC from 2009 referencing the IMS and RMS as serious advisories, so I imagine it must have been done, if not its been driving round like this for 60,000 miles... 

We’ll have a look - from the video it does look like a leak from either the RMS / IMS.  I‘ve suggested minimal driving till we see it, just to be extra cautious.  

For some engines curing the RMS leak is very hard, but EPS seem to have introduced a kit.  Worth a look at the video on their website,  especially if you have such a problem or if you want to understand why so many engines suffer with RMS leaks.  It seems more inherent with the design of the engine and natural wear.

I did look back at the job we did for Rob and it was just a suspension and brake check, so I won’t be too hard on Rich for not mentioning this - of course assuming the problem was there a few months ago! 

We’ll get Rob sorted I’m sure.

10 minutes ago, CotswoldPS said:

We’ll have a look - from the video it does look like a leak from either the RMS / IMS.  I‘ve suggested minimal driving till we see it, just to be extra cautious.  

For some engines curing the RMS leak is very hard, but EPS seem to have introduced a kit.  Worth a look at the video on their website,  especially if you have such a problem or if you want to understand why so many engines suffer with RMS leaks.  It seems more inherent with the design of the engine and natural wear.

I did look back at the job we did for Rob and it was just a suspension and brake check, so I won’t be too hard on Rich for not mentioning this - of course assuming the problem was there a few months ago! 

We’ll get Rob sorted I’m sure.

The EPS solution is not popular with all🤣

Porsche God

about a year ago

This is an Ill conceived poorly engineered piece of junk based on a misunderstanding of the actual problems involved just came out with second generation also cr*p

Archived