Potential oil leak when warm

Cheddar Bob

So I've noticed a small patch of oil this morning where I left my car for a few minutes in my work car park. It hasn't rained for a few weeks, so it is entirely possible this could be coming from my other car, (its my spot in the depot) rather than the Porsche, but I do have a little patch of oil on my drive, again I park three cars in the same place. 

LEE at CPS had the car on the ramp a few weeks ago and I am sure would have spotted the opportunity for further work. The clutch was changed in 2015, no record of IMS. I'm not losing oil on the dash either. 

Any suggestions what you think I need to do?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd park it somewhere without any oil stains/put down some paper to see what and where it might be leaking - the RMS on my last Boxster (987.1) had a slight weep - it never dripped but always looked a little moist - common on these beasties...

Just now, rowbos said:

I'd park it somewhere without any oil stains/put down some paper to see what and where it might be leaking - the RMS on my last Boxster (987.1) had a slight weep - it never dripped but always looked a little moist - common on these beasties...

ill do that later on. I'll park it in the warehouse and go from there. 

Have a look around your coil packs. The O rings on the tubes can perish and leak oil from the head.
I’ve got a bit of that going on right now which I’m gonna fix for under 40 quid

My first 986 had a RMS leak.  It only leaked when the engine oil was (really) warm so I never worried about it.  It would drip once or twice when I got home from work but that would be it, until the next night.

1 hour ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

How do they leak oil from the plug tubes? Not possible surely. The oil must be coming from above.

Berni

There’s a reason the tubes have dual O rings. I’m not sure where but it’s deffo there. On a previous coil pack replacement the garage bust the bigger outside O ring and the dripping was instant. 

2 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

How do they leak oil from the plug tubes? Not possible surely. The oil must be coming from above.

Berni

They run through the middle of the cams and valve gear which are pretty well lubricated?  One o-ring seals in the head and one in the cam cover to create an oil proof  shroud round the spark plug and coil assembly. You'd find this an incredibly rare issue with a vee or inline engine as gravity tends to keep the oil going down. Only a problem on flat engines where the oil will run round the tubes and can weep out around the o-ring if it is perished or gone hard and no longer makes a good seal.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

They run through the middle of the cams and valve gear which are pretty well lubricated?  One o-ring seals in the head and one in the cam cover to create an oil proof  shroud round the spark plug and coil assembly. You'd find this an incredibly rare issue with a vee or inline engine as gravity tends to keep the oil going down. Only a problem on flat engines where the oil will run round the tubes and can weep out around the o-ring if it is perished or gone hard and no longer makes a good seal.

Your knowledge base is astounding. Thank you for clearing that up🙏🏿

Hi

Thank you, I see what you mean. The seal in the plug hole itself is quite near the mouth so would seem better placed to prevent ingress from outside. I didn't really think about what was happening further in. 

All the best

Berni

• 2 weeks later...

Yep so there is a very slight oil leak coming from somewhere underneath. I parked at a friends house and left a very small patch, about the size of a 50p. I can only assume this is when hot as its not losing any oil.

I cant get under the car to check yet. the new house ill have more space. 

Any thoughts? 

Where was the spot of oil in relation to the underside of the car? Left, right front back central? Left or right is likely coil tubes, central is likely RMS etc...

6 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Where was the spot of oil in relation to the underside of the car? Left, right front back central? Left or right is likely coil tubes, central is likely RMS etc...

Question: Could the oil “travel” along the undertrays and affect where the oil emerges to drop on to the ground?

If so then it might be showing a false trail in terms of the source.

15 hours ago, map said:

Question: Could the oil “travel” along the undertrays and affect where the oil emerges to drop on to the ground?

If so then it might be showing a false trail in terms of the source.

I'll take a look as soon as possible for where it's coming from. If I can get under the back this weekend I will do. 

It's a bugger if it is the RMS. But that's box ownership 

33 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

I'll take a look as soon as possible for where it's coming from. If I can get under the back this weekend I will do. 

Unless it is losing lots, might be worth saving up and doing the clutch (and IMS bearing if you are so inclined) at the same time depending on when of if that has been done as they re all 'box out jobs.

35 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

If so fashion a Saniitry towel and replace as part of your monthly maintenance 😇

The clutch was changed a few thousand mile ago but it doesn't mention IMS or RMS on the paperwork. 

Ill check out what's happening underneath. Car doesn't seem to be losing any oil on the indicator. Just a little wee of sorts 

Suggest no further unnecessary driving until checked - similar symptoms to my first Boxster ! Took it to Indie for investigation- he removed gearbox and ran engine for over an hour before oil stated to weep from IMS bearing !! Hope this is not the same as your car - it can be a costly repair. 

59 minutes ago, Bodge50 said:

Suggest no further unnecessary driving until checked - similar symptoms to my first Boxster ! Took it to Indie for investigation- he removed gearbox and ran engine for over an hour before oil stated to weep from IMS bearing !! Hope this is not the same as your car - it can be a costly repair. 

Archived