Potential oil leak when warm

Cheddar Bob

2 hours ago, ½cwt said:

It may be expensive but a positive IMS story i.e. not a panicked change of bearing but one that has genuinely failed and been detected based on a good old fashioned oil leak!

As @Mr96er says spanner love time.

Would be interesting to get all the gory detail from Lee as it is replaced to see if there are tell tales others can look out for.

I'll put up what I can. Lee did say there's a chance the bearing has welded to the engine and in that case it's fooked

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had this problem with my first Boxster- oil only leaked when engine really hot . Found IMS failure before engine blew up but shaft was moving vertically a couple of microns . Rebuild required- so please get Lee to make sure engine ok .

7 hours ago, Bodge50 said:

I had this problem with my first Boxster- oil only leaked when engine really hot . Found IMS failure before engine blew up but shaft was moving vertically a couple of microns . Rebuild required- so please get Lee to make sure engine ok .

😶 Is the best reply to the rebuild 

Lee already mentioned this possibility.... 

90% of the 986's I work on have a small amount of old oil where indicated in your video. 

None have leaked any more and I put it down to a tiny weep of oil that has accumulated over circa 20 years. It is never wet oil but black gunk.

G101 will easily clean it off.

In your case, the oil is wet and has been been so profound that it has sprayed all over the gearbox by the look of it. 

I think this can be a lesson to all of us; check the underside regularly for leaks.

Good luck with the work, unfortunately a rebuild or engine replacement looks on the cards.

Out of interested, what is the mileage?

Good luck

Paul 

4 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

90% of the 986's I work on have a small amount of old oil where indicated in your video. 

None have leaked any more and I put it down to a tiny weep of oil that has accumulated over circa 20 years. It is never wet oil but black gunk.

G101 will easily clean it off.

In your case, the oil is wet and has been been so profound that it has sprayed all over the gearbox by the look of it. 

I think this can be a lesson to all of us; check the underside regularly for leaks.

Good luck with the work, unfortunately a rebuild or engine replacement looks on the cards.

Out of interested, what is the mileage?

Good luck

Paul 

82,000 miles. 

2 hours ago, fox10 said:

any update?

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Good luck Bob

You heard yet?

9 hours ago, Freddie said:

How did it pan out, Bob?

Whoop whoop cars been fixed! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Haven't had the bill yet but I'll wait for tomorrow. 

Yipeeeeeeeeee 

Any diagnosis of why the bearing failed giving metal in the filter? 

Also what type of bearing was chosen? All useful and interesting data points. 

So have we gone from an IMS failure to fixed in, what, one day??

If IMS failed then surely there would be metal throughout the engine requiring a strip down, clean & rebuild with check of the crank for damage.

Am I the only one who is questioning the diagnosis of this oil leak here? Seems a bit suspect to me...

7 minutes ago, Boxstercol said:

If IMS failed then surely there would be metal throughout the engine requiring a strip down, clean & rebuild with check of the crank for damage.

This is my understanding also.

Great news Bob - Lee has blue 986 that he turned up to Sally Pusseys in last year that he knew the IMS was about to fail on as it had the tell tale filings in there - we all wondered if he would get home that night - he put a new IMS in it and I think it is now another of his loan cars.
You couldn’t be in better hands than Lee’s. 

25 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

This is my understanding also.

However if the oil leak is due to the SEALS failing (maybe due to older acidic oil from the past) but the races still being in tact there would not yet be a large quantity of metal in the oil.

This could just be one of the luckiest catches that anyone else is unlikely to be able to pick up on other than blind chance.

Archived