Potential oil leak when warm

Cheddar Bob

3 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

However if the oil leak is due to the SEALS failing (maybe due to older acidic oil from the past) but the races still being in tact there would not yet be a large quantity of metal in the oil.

This could just be one of the luckiest catches that anyone else is unlikely to be able to pick up on other than blind chance.

Are you referring to the seals of the bearing itself? 

One of the 'popular' fixes is to remove the outer seal of the bearing so that it is lubricated by oil. I don't think a bearing seal fail is a guaranteed way to get metal in the filter. 

There are also posts out there detailing oil through the shaft of the IMS which indicates oil is breaching both seals to pass right through. 

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

So have we gone from an IMS failure to fixed in, what, one day??

If IMS failed then surely there would be metal throughout the engine requiring a strip down, clean & rebuild with check of the crank for damage.

Not necessarily.  If the oil filter showed small metal particles and the bearing showed wear, then replacing the bearing and flushing the engine should be sufficient.
There's only a need for a strip and clean if metal particles are too big to pass through (and therefore clog) oil ways.

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

Great stuff

What was done?

Box removal, new IMS bearing and an engine flush?

Good luck going forward 

IMS and RMS. 

Anti roll bar bolts were seized. Needed drilling out. 

Clutch was new so that didn't need changing. 

Oil I provided so saved me a couple of quid. 

Now need to bed the new bits in before I thrash it 

Hi

Excellent. I’m pleased you are back on the road. One of my anti roll bar bushes snapped off when I had mine apart. Such a pain. Also had to drill it. 

All the best

Berni

H  ok ad you’re rolling again! Enjoy the bedding in process. Might I recommend a b tiad you can drive weeks without yawing the brakes? Just engine breaking through the gears. 

44 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

H  ok ad you’re rolling again! Enjoy the bedding in process. Might I recommend a b tiad you can drive weeks without yawing the brakes? Just engine breaking through the gears. 

yes ill take your recommendation and give it a go. Thank you. I haven't gone above 3500rpm yet and haven't used WOT. Be interesting to see how I get on Sunday.... 

• 1 month later...

So update...

The dealer I bought the car from has settled out of court. The IMS and RMS have been paid for. 

If this happens to you, I'll explain how and what I did privately if you have a non responsive dealer. 

I've signed a non disclosure agreement regarding who the dealer was, so I have edited a post elsewhere you remove that name. Please refrain from mentioning if you know. 

49 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Yes IMS bearing and rear main seal. Bad use of language for me again. 👍

Yes to your question, they have

Knock out result.  Cash back for you and good intel from the experience for other owners.

Hope you've had it over 3500rpm by now 😉, guess from your more recent posts that is along gone.

Good result. 

Couple of years ago a Zafira we bought started getting the whiny noise so commonly associated with M32 box a couple months after buying. Dealer and warranty company tried to palm me off but it only took one correctly worded letter for them to roll over and pay full cost. 

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Knock out result.  Cash back for you and good intel from the experience for other owners.

Hope you've had it over 3500rpm by now 😉, guess from your more recent posts that is along gone.

Oh yes most definately...😎😎

37 minutes ago, Toddie said:

@Cheddar Bob great result for you, well done you must be very pleased!

Yes very much so 👍

Archived