Potential oil leak when warm

Cheddar Bob

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CotswoldPS said:

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/rear-main-seal

Here’s the link. To my knowledge, the only alternative to the OE seal.

Not impugning that’s particular solution, just laughing at the Porsche blowhard on the internet who think they know everything.

Haven’t seen the RMS solution yet Nobbie, but was intrigued. Have you seen it?  On the same site, the video of the IMS boring tool for M97 engines scared the life out of me 😂

5 hours ago, CotswoldPS said:

We’ll have a look - from the video it does look like a leak from either the RMS / IMS.  I‘ve suggested minimal driving till we see it, just to be extra cautious.  

For some engines curing the RMS leak is very hard, but EPS seem to have introduced a kit.  Worth a look at the video on their website,  especially if you have such a problem or if you want to understand why so many engines suffer with RMS leaks.  It seems more inherent with the design of the engine and natural wear.

I did look back at the job we did for Rob and it was just a suspension and brake check, so I won’t be too hard on Rich for not mentioning this - of course assuming the problem was there a few months ago! 

We’ll get Rob sorted I’m sure.

I lm glad you looked up this thread Lee as I mentioned on the phone, the pitch forks came out and then got put away again 😂

It's the wife to be that's having kittens.... I made the mistake of saying it was a good thing to buy a 16yr old Porsche 

I've put the oil in the frunk all 10L of it... And I'll drop the car off Wednesday night. 

Hopefully the engine will still be with it 😁

On 6/27/2020 at 10:38 AM, CotswoldPS said:

https://www.europeanpartssolution.com/rear-main-seal

Here’s the link. To my knowledge, the only alternative to the OE seal.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:38 AM, CotswoldPS said:

Some how I quoted you twice... 

It's this a modification you recommend Lee? 

On 6/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, CotswoldPS said:

Haven’t seen the RMS solution yet Nobbie, but was intrigued. Have you seen it?  On the same site, the video of the IMS boring tool for M97 engines scared the life out of me 😂

No, seen nothing more than what’s on their site. I find many of the ‘solutions’ more worrying than the issue they are supposed to cure.

11 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Dropped car off tonight. Anyone fancy a sweep stake whether it's RMS or IMS or hopefully neither....

On balance of probability it’s not IMS

don’t know enough about RMS to comment. I just hope you’re sorted and tempted to come on the Strines run Sunday to try it out👍

2 hours ago, Bodge50 said:

Fingers crossed for a good outcome 🤞

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

On balance of probability it’s not IMS

don’t know enough about RMS to comment. I just hope you’re sorted and tempted to come on the Strines run Sunday to try it out👍

And the winner is IMS ..... 

Where is strines by the way? 

So the good news is it's had a new clutch. The bad news it's clutch out for a new bearing. 

What a bugger. 

24 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

So the good news is it's had a new clutch. The bad news it's clutch out for a new bearing. 

What a bugger. 

A bugger indeed, but at least you caught it in time, looking on the bright side it's better this way than a buggered engine.

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

What a bugger. 

Strines is on Sunday. Thread in the meets part of the forum. Sorry if I jinxed your IMS😖

1 hour ago, Freddie said:

A bugger indeed, but at least you caught it in time, looking on the bright side it's better this way than a buggered engine.

The box will come off tomorrow and hopefully the bearing will not be welded to the engine. It is better than a buggered engine. 

17 minutes ago, Mr96er said:

Strines is on Sunday. Thread in the meets part of the forum. Sorry if I jinxed your IMS😖

I've checked where Strines is, its a bit far north for me. Potentially the car will be fixed by the weekend. 

Its a shame the IMS wasn't replaced when the clutch was. 

On 6/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, Nobbie said:

No, seen nothing more than what’s on their site. I find many of the ‘solutions’ more worrying than the issue they are supposed to cure.

pattern pending solution

:ninja:

2 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

What a bugger. 

Did they say how they diagnosed the IMS without taking the gearbox off? Were the camshaft deviations out of spec?

17 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Did they say how they diagnosed the IMS without taking the gearbox off? Were the camshaft deviations out of spec?

If it's leaking it may just be the seal? 

Just now, edc said:

If it's leaking it may just be the seal? 

If it was just the oil leak, could they differentiate between IMS and RMS? The RMS having been replaced recently would make me suspect that In the first instance.

Maybe. If the RMS leaks it can run down and cover the IMS. If the RMS isn't leaking and the IMS is then it could be seen. 

41 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

If it was just the oil leak, could they differentiate between IMS and RMS? The RMS having been replaced recently would make me suspect that In the first instance.

35 minutes ago, edc said:

Maybe. If the RMS leaks it can run down and cover the IMS. If the RMS isn't leaking and the IMS is then it could be seen. 

Metal in the oil filter. Its @ CPS so im confident of the advice is good from Lee. 

The RMS hasn't been replaced 

2 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Metal in the oil filter. Its @ CPS so im confident of the advice is good from Lee. 

The RMS hasn't been replaced 

😳, best of luck. Looks like you May have caught it just in time.

Not that you’d want to, but I think you’ve made BoXa.net history:

First 2.7 Members car (Who post and contributes to the forum) to have an IMS fail. 

Plenty have had them replaced (mine included) but you’ve also busted a myth that I’ve held which is that IMS failure is sudden, immediately fatal and gives no warning. 

Was I the only one labouring under that understanding?

Seems like the opposite can be true I’m that your car has been telling you for months that it is a little poorly and needs some spanner love. 

It may be expensive but a positive IMS story i.e. not a panicked change of bearing but one that has genuinely failed and been detected based on a good old fashioned oil leak!

As @Mr96er says spanner love time.

Would be interesting to get all the gory detail from Lee as it is replaced to see if there are tell tales others can look out for.

3 hours ago, Mr96er said:

Not that you’d want to, but I think you’ve made BoXa.net history:

First 2.7 Members car (Who post and contributes to the forum) to have an IMS fail. 

Plenty have had them replaced (mine included) but you’ve also busted a myth that I’ve held which is that IMS failure is sudden, immediately fatal and gives no warning. 

Was I the only one labouring under that understanding?

Seems like the opposite can be true I’m that your car has been telling you for months that it is a little poorly and needs some spanner love. 

Well I think that's worthy of a signature....

Archived