What pads and discs to buy

Baldyman

Guys I’m looking at changing over my pads and discs , front and back .

What make am I looking for ? Car is never going to go on track track - mainly B road blasting . Any thoughts or do you get what you pay for , such a difference in prices .

Get ready for a lot of opinions....personally Brembo or OE from the OPC (10% off with PCGB/Tipec) membership. Also replace the sensors. Some places will do "Brake kits" which can be better value. 

One tip - you might want to update the My Ride with whether you car is a 987.1/2 , S or not  - tricky in 15 chars I know 😀 

As always just an opinion - feel free to ignore

Discs and pads are a bit like tyres in so much as everyone will have their personal favourites. 

If you buy from a reputable manufacturer then I think you would be very unlucky to get something that didn't stop your car properly. 

Sorry, this probably doesn't help much. 

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

Guys I’m looking at changing over my pads and discs , front and back .

What make am I looking for ? Car is never going to go on track track - mainly B road blasting . Any thoughts or do you get what you pay for , such a difference in prices .

Helps if you say where you are since this is an international forum. But I'd guess UK by the B roads bit. Perhaps update your profile with basic info.

I did a fair bit of searching, and bought a complete kit of Brembo parts from Ebay. Discs, pads and sensors. Brembo are different in that the fronts aren't handed - unlike some others. But they seem fine in practice. 987.2 S.

1 hour ago, Baldyman said:

I’ve gone Brembo on mine & have no complaints. Can get for reasonable price on Euro’s with one of their many discount codes.

Advantage with Brembo is the disk ‘hats’ are painted with an anti rust paint, almost looks like powder coat which is really durable & stops the hats corroding which looks shyatee through the wheel. Mine have been on a couple of years now & still look new (the disk ‘hats’ that is!)

Going to be doing mine soon, I've looked at eBay etc, but I'm thinking of going to type911 and getting new bleed nipples and caliper bolts whilst I'm there for a few quid more but with the convenience of one delivery.

I did a load of research on the disc's all round for my 987 and went for the Design 911 ABS on the rears. I spoke to the 911 chaps and they highly recommended same. The proof is in the eating and they look top quality and stop the car well. Got some of their recommended pads as well. Meeting a spec, is just that meeting a spec. Pointless wasting loads of wedge more for no gain, only a fancy label ( Brembo discs BTW have been known to go belly up and warp, so yes good in the main but worth the extra for me no)

Went for similar quality on the front all anchors up really well. This car will never see a track day or for that matter continually being chucked into bends mile on mile, simple reason our road conditions are not up to it, that is if you have a head that thinks and functions.

When I replaced all my discs and pads ECP had an offer on Pagid so as a reputable make I went with those. Only light road use so far but I have a track day booked for this Thursday so I’ll see how they handle a bit more pressure then. 

10 hours ago, Gdaybruce said:

When I replaced all my discs and pads ECP had an offer on Pagid so as a reputable make I went with those. Only light road use so far but I have a track day booked for this Thursday so I’ll see how they handle a bit more pressure then. 

Would be interesting to hear how you get on given some previous very adverse comments on Pagid here.

11 hours ago, Gdaybruce said:

Try and remember to turn PSM off, its a driving aid for roads but will tend to over heat rear discs on track if you get a little over enthusiastic lol

Just now, Tony Daniel said:

Try and remember to turn PSM off, its a driving aid for roads but will tend to over heat rear discs on track if you get a little over enthusiastic lol

Do you know if PSM is still working its magic even when the dash light is not flashing up? Somebody on a US site suggested that it was always working in the background like a kind of electronic differential (which is the first time I saw that mentioned) 

26 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

Thanks for the tip. I've done one trackday before in the Boxster but that was at Cadwell on a very cold and damp track (it had snowed the day before). My tyres were old and hard and Cadwell is narrow with precious little run-off area so I kept the PSM on and exercised great care! I did eventually turn it off but then drove like a granny so turned it back on again!

Tomorrow should be different - recent tyres and an airfield track (Abingdon) with plenty of room to get it wrong 🤪

21 hours ago, Iwazaru said:

( Brembo discs BTW have been known to go belly up and warp, so yes good in the main but worth the extra for me no)

I'm one of those who don't tend to believe discs " warp " but are blamed for this due to pad build up. I've fixed " warped discs " on a couple of cars with the time honoured method of finding somewhere quiet and standing on the brakes multiple times from 100 mph down to about 30. They need to be practically on fire before you stop doing this and then need to not be used until cool. Not an easy thing to do in practice.  

On 9/2/2020 at 10:03 AM, red rocket said:

Would be interesting to hear how you get on given some previous very adverse comments on Pagid here.

Well, track day now done and the car performed faultlessly apart from ..... the brakes! It was quite a tight track layout with the fastest part of the circuit leading into a very tight hairpin so hard work for the brakes. Nevertheless, it was disappointing that they started to fade after just a few laps and to judder, as if a disc had warped. The judder disappeared when the brakes had cooled down, only to reappear when hot again. So, I was limiting the number of laps I did at any one time and was lifting and braking early to spare the brakes.

So it would seem the adverse comments about Pagid are justified - wish I'd known before! Certainly, if I do another track day I think I'll swap the pads for something else, although they're fine for road use. And just to add, the brake fluid was changed a couple of months ago so the problems weren't down to old fluid.

12 hours ago, Gdaybruce said:

Well, track day now done and the car performed faultlessly apart from ..... the brakes!

I used to swap my road pads for Pagid RS19's for track days. I would of used them all the time but they squeal like mad after a while and probably eat discs. 

A simple upgrade is GT3 front brake ducts, about £30 from Porsche main dealers or £80 from Ebay 🙃 .

Also Motul RBF600 brake fluid

Archived