981 vs 718GTS

bandit_287

I took my Boxster 981 into my local OPC today for an airbag recall and they loaned me a Boxster 718 GTS for the day. Really nice car, goes like a rocket when the turbo spools up, loads of lag in normal mode although not as noticeable in Sport/Sport plus. Lovely comfy Alcantara seats, Nice steering wheel and the chassis is rigid with no body roll at all. Engine sounds cr*p though even with PSE on, sounded like a scooby was constantly behind me, It’s a lovely car though however I wasn’t disappointed to get back in into my 981. On a bummer side the tech did an inspection of my car and has found a slight weep of PDK gearbox oil, he didn’t seem overly concerned and told me to bring it back in six months to check it again. I’ve a third party warranty with WMS so I’ll give them a call to hopefully cover it. It’s only got 13k miles on it😐

I had a 718 GTS with PSE as a loaner when mine went in for warranty extension a week or so ago. Really difficult to detect much of an engine noise when PSE was switched on tbh.

As far as getting a third party warranty to cover a ‘slight oil weep’ I can only wish you the very best of luck - hope I’m wrong. 

2 hours ago, JonSta said:

Why oh why didn't they just reduce the 6 to 2 litres and turbocharge it if they had to do something about emissions. Then cheat on the software like everyone else.

when I asked them that they said there wasn't enough room for 6 cyls and the turbos and associated stuff in the boxsters limited engine space, so by chopping 2 cyls out gave them the room for everything

In that case give them all 4.0 N/A engines and say a 3.5 for the base model. Don't want to diss the 718 but.....

From my perspective of looking for a nice cheap 2 seat convertible the only choice was the boxster. Because of that engine. If it's still in the GTS and the 911s it can't be that emission regs have killed it. I know Porsche is committed to low emissions and good fuel economy but in truth although turbo engines can look good in the test figures when you start using them as god intended they swill it down with the best of them.

Yep, my 3 litre turbo 911 does 25 mpg in daily normal use, but below 20 when given the beans.

My 3.4 litre NA 981 GTS did 30 mpg easily in normal use, rarely below 25 when on it.

Mind you, the 911 is heavier, has 4WD and also produces 80 bhp more.

Probably a better comparison would be a 718S vs 981S.....I would still bet that the 718 is thirstier!

16 hours ago, JonSta said:

In that case give them all 4.0 N/A engines and say a 3.5 for the base model. Don't want to diss the 718 but.....

From my perspective of looking for a nice cheap 2 seat convertible the only choice was the boxster. Because of that engine. If it's still in the GTS and the 911s it can't be that emission regs have killed it. I know Porsche is committed to low emissions and good fuel economy but in truth although turbo engines can look good in the test figures when you start using them as god intended they swill it down with the best of them.

AIUI emissions regs work across the range - I don't know if that includes total of predicted/actual volumes sold per model, or just take one model of each and draw the average. In either case, currently Porsche are allowing you to have your cake and eat it, unlike 2 years ago.  4-cyl turbo for the "cheaper" models, 6-cyl NA for the flagship models if you are prepared to pay more. They answer the demand for a new 6-cyl Boxster while ensuring emissions across the range are kept down.  And ultimately they have the 4.0 GTS, which is the Spyder engine in a car with a sensible roof.  I don't ask for more - except the ability to afford one!

On 9/3/2020 at 11:20 AM, JonSta said:

Prob why they're loaning them out to everyone. In the hope that someone will buy one.

Wish they would.  I took my 981 to Porsche Cambridge for a service and got loaned a crappy Mini ☹️

Does the 718 advertised have the exclusive option of transforming into Bumblebee? 

981 values are holding up well......really only dropping in the past 12 months to reflect increasing mileage on them and not age ie I sold my high spec 15k miler for similar money nearly 18 months ago now 😉

I think there is a very strong argument for saying the 981GTS is the sweet spot in the Boxster range and the way prices are holding up seems to support that. I missed the chance of ordering a new one at the end of 2015, tried the 718 and decided, as many did, that having had a flat 6, a turbocharged 4 was not something I could live with(capable car that it certainly is). I then spent 18 months unsuccessfully looking for 981GTS manual. Got close to buying one on a couple of occasions only to be beaten by someone who was quicker off the mark. My experience at that time was that the manual gearbox cars went very quickly. Eventually I bought a 16 plate 981S and fabulous car that it was, it was second best. I resolved not to make the same mistake again and so when recently I found, completely unexpectedly, that I had the chance to order a 718 Spyder I went for it.

1 hour ago, AndyI1 said:

I think there is a very strong argument for saying the 981GTS is the sweet spot in the Boxster range and the way prices are holding up seems to support that. I missed the chance of ordering a new one at the end of 2015, tried the 718 and decided, as many did, that having had a flat 6, a turbocharged 4 was not something I could live with(capable car that it certainly is). I then spent 18 months unsuccessfully looking for 981GTS manual. Got close to buying one on a couple of occasions only to be beaten by someone who was quicker off the mark. My experience at that time was that the manual gearbox cars went very quickly. Eventually I bought a 16 plate 981S and fabulous car that it was, it was second best. I resolved not to make the same mistake again and so when recently I found, completely unexpectedly, that I had the chance to order a 718 Spyder I went for it.

The 981 Spyder is the sweet spot for me because it has something different, it has a 3.8l and looks and sounds absolutely lovely, prices now make it very appealing.

With the 718 GTS gets you that 4.0l so for me at least there is a stronger argument for that GTS being the sweet spot. You get the upgraded engine with the practicality of the standard car. I'd still choose the Spyder though because of the suspension. What colour have you gone for? 👍

Archived