Trolley jack recommendations

GmanB

Hi All

I'm looking for a trolley jack that will lift a Boxster S from the middle of the car (standard suspension). I currently have a cheap, but good quality jack from SGS engineering a TJL2 and while it will lift each corner with ease, ideally I would like to lift the front from the middle and pop some axle stands on the jack points, then the same on the rear. I can't get the TJL2 to quite reach under to the required points. I know I require something more expensive to achieve what I need, so asking for any recommendations please?

I've looked at SGS ultra low racing jack, but even that does not give the measurements I need.

Thanks in advance and apologies for digging up old questions, the search here is not very good.

G

If your problem is clearance between jack and car before lifting, have you tried driving onto a couple of planks of wood, to raise the front, so you can get the jack under the car? :unsure: 

19 minutes ago, Araf said:

If your problem is clearance between jack and car before lifting, have you tried driving onto a couple of planks of wood, to raise the front, so you can get the jack under the car? :unsure: 

This and then use a jacking beam to raise it evenly 

8 hours ago, GmanB said:

Hi All

I'm looking for a trolley jack that will lift a Boxster S from the middle of the car (standard suspension). I currently have a cheap, but good quality jack from SGS engineering a TJL2 and while it will lift each corner with ease, ideally I would like to lift the front from the middle and pop some axle stands on the jack points, then the same on the rear. I can't get the TJL2 to quite reach under to the required points. I know I require something more expensive to achieve what I need, so asking for any recommendations please?

I've looked at SGS ultra low racing jack, but even that does not give the measurements I need.

Thanks in advance and apologies for digging up old questions, the search here is not very good.

G

There is no jacking point in the middle of the car! 

Using the rear jacking point if you get it high enough it will lift the front so you can get an axle stand under and vice-versa. If you want it on 4 stands then that's tricky because you need to get the front end up first then jack on the front of the gearbox, but be careful. 

Thank you all for the recommendations, will certainly check them out. 

25 minutes ago, Tony Daniel said:

There is no jacking point in the middle of the car! 

Using the rear jacking point if you get it high enough it will lift the front so you can get an axle stand under and vice-versa. If you want it on 4 stands then that's tricky because you need to get the front end up first then jack on the front of the gearbox, but be careful. 

No jacking point as such, but I watched this video and the points this guy uses look safe to use. 

1 hour ago, Araf said:

Great idea, that should work temporarily I think, I'm about 10cm short of clearance. 

3 hours ago, GmanB said:

No jacking point as such, but I watched this video and the points this guy uses look safe to use. 

Great idea, that should work temporarily I think, I'm about 10cm short of clearance. 

I’ve seen this video, before but I don’t understand how it jacks it up from the front jacking point then gets a stand on chassis.  As I don’t enough room with the jack there.

I use this method ^

11 hours ago, GmanB said:

Used this position several times with no issues to be able to get axle stands under the rear sill jacking point after using that point to get the front jacking point on to an axle stand.  I only use a cheap Halfords low entry trolley jack.

I bought one of these Sealey jacks about 5 years, works fine on the Boxster with one of those chassis pucks that twist's into the lifting point:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TROLLEY-JACK-2TONNE-LOW-ENTRY-SHORT-CHASSIS-FROM-SEALEY-1050CXLE-SYC/153396988577?epid=4017007066&hash=item23b72c4aa1:g:~7gAAOSwgARa6H57

Has sufficient height to work on the other cars too.

Arcan jacks from Costco are very good. I have an old 3t one. Very smooth operation and easy to move around. I also have a Liftmaster 3t one. It was 50% more expensive and nowhere near as good as the Arcan. Even moving the liftmaster around is difficult as the wheels don't swivel very well.

Archived