Anyone after a low mileage 987S

bally4563

As others have said, it sounds like a great car, but the price is simply too high for a 2005 model IMHO.  And from what I have seen, ultra low mileage is not necessarily considered a good thing on these cars either.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

He could find an Aston he likes and offer to trade the Porsche for it but I hate for a man to have his heart broken....

You do see dealers offering super low mileage cars for top (and above) dollar. Whether they ever get it or not is another question. Private sellers I doubt it. Still on the bright side the more cars are advertised at high prices the more our cars become worth. Doesn't help if you want to trade up though - bit like houses.

Looking around through prices do seem to be on the up. I doubt I could replace mine for what I paid....

19 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

He was offered 14k ,then they quibbled a lot of money and it has no warranty, his reply it’s a private sale ffs!!

Who needs a warranty when you’ll stand by it Mick😀

• 3 months later...

This forum seems not to value low mileage. I do and lots of others do too. With a good service history, this amounts to a time capsule. Someone will always see it as extraordinary. It cost £45,000 or more. It's been serviced at great expense and been garaged the whole time. It's cost the original owner heavily. Whoever buys a car like this has a bargain.

10 minutes ago, McDonald said:

This forum seems not to value low mileage. I do and lots of others do too. With a good service history, this amounts to a time capsule. Someone will always see it as extraordinary. It cost £45,000 or more. It's been serviced at great expense and been garaged the whole time. It's cost the original owner heavily. Whoever buys a car like this has a bargain.

I think the forum opinion on mileage is based on the experience of the forum, which is long and broad. As you say it depends on what you value, but its also about what you want. If you want a collectors fair weather piece, fair enough, low miles appeals.  If you want a car to use, it faces greater depreciation when your low miler clocks up the miles. Low milers with age can still go badly wrong, quite what the risk is against a high mile car is difficult to say I grant you. I recognise your position on low miles, as I have come from there, but I have changed my view on the desirability of  low mile cars and their value, based on my own experience, other peoples and just how well cars last now. I say that as a fella in his sixth decade and well remember the days when a car with over 80k was considered a scrapper, although many rusted away before they ever went that far.

1 hour ago, Topbox said:

I think the forum opinion on mileage is based on the experience of the forum, which is long and broad. As you say it depends on what you value, but its also about what you want. If you want a collectors fair weather piece, fair enough, low miles appeals.  If you want a car to use, it faces greater depreciation when your low miler clocks up the miles. Low milers with age can still go badly wrong, quite what the risk is against a high mile car is difficult to say I grant you. I recognise your position on low miles, as I have come from there, but I have changed my view on the desirability of  low mile cars and their value, based on my own experience, other peoples and just how well cars last now. I say that as a fella in his sixth decade and well remember the days when a car with over 80k was considered a scrapper, although many rusted away before they ever went that far.

I'm enjoying my sixth decade too and I respect the forum's position, I just don't share it. If you can afford a car with low mileage, you can put a lot of happy miles on it before it reaches average. A high-miler has more opportunities for knocks, scapes and stone chips and more wear to the working parts. Only the perishables are comparable for deterioration. 

There's room for diverse opinion. You pays your money, you takes your chance. Happy motoring as Esso used to say.

14 hours ago, McDonald said:

This forum seems not to value low mileage. I do and lots of others do too.

I think just to be clear, this forum doesn't value low mileage Boxsters particularly highly. I'm sure they'd have a different opinion on Italian exotica. We like to think we are drivers (for some of us, not true at all :( ) rather than polishers, and so as Topbox said, low mileage comes down the list as it will just be racked up and worn off; the buyer is paying a premium for something that will just disappear over time. You're right that a high miler has more wear on the working parts, but I think our experience is to be aware of that and watch the service history for their replacement accordingly (water pump, suspension parts, we're looking at you...). Given that on a Boxster the perishables are often part of the suspension, which will thus need replacing whether low or high miles, at significant expense, thus low mileage carries less advantage than with other cars.  

In the market that is this forum, low mileage isn't valued particularly highly (a few notable exceptions). Outside this forum, it may well be valued. We are often chatting about someone's asking price; sometimes we're right (they are living in dreamland), sometimes we are very wrong ("you'll never get that price mate" - "er, just sold it yesterday"). And I don't think anyone here would say a person is a fool for buying or wanting low mileage, only that we don't share the priority on it that that person does.

Personally I'm still a little upset that not everyone likes orange cars... :( 

11 minutes ago, 986CKY said:

I heard "We Bally any car" has it on his driveway ready for anybody who has 15k 

7.5k profit, winner winner chicken dinner

Car is still for sale, he has been messed about with a someone from Wales to the point he told them do one, I think if you went in at 13.5 K he would let it go

33 minutes ago, EdT said:

Cant see the URL for some reason pls re-share 

It was just posted as is, mate of mine has it for sale, not sure if it’s still on Autotrader

No - gone. From what I recall it was a pretty nice car and though I thought it was pricey at the time there are quite a few asking that price these days for cars not nearly as well-specced or low mileage. Perhaps your mate has a crystal ball. Although that doesn't explain why he still has it.... Bet if he put it on for 13.5k now it would be gone by Monday.

5 minutes ago, JonSta said:

No - gone. From what I recall it was a pretty nice car and though I thought it was pricey at the time there are quite a few asking that price these days for cars not nearly as well-specced or low mileage. Perhaps your mate has a crystal ball. Although that doesn't explain why he still has it.... Bet if he put it on for 13.5k now it would be gone by Monday.

To be fair I know he dropped it to 14K and that’s what he really wants but probably a sneaky offer would get it, it’s stored in a lock up at present, definitely worth a punt for someone, I’ve put 10 mm H&R on it , he’s had it detailed and the wheels (lobster claws)redone in Anthracite, looks very tidy

Archived