986 race car project build

JazH

What geo and rake are you running? Maybe a trick of the light but the front looks even higher than standard almost like the nose is pointing upwards.

Inspiring build, much like my own. :inocent:

I was thinking about the wing - don't you think it would have better effect if you lifted it, making sure it's more exposed to the wind? I have a wing mount that looks a lot like yours but I "crafted" my own - this is what my car looks like:

2020-11-07-14-37-11_img_20200405_183111.

It's not adored by the MOT people but I just dismount it. I assume it does it's job, though - without splitter it understeers like a dog...

First shakedown was a huge success:

pFEYGlO.jpg

Car ran faultlessly all day and the engine performed fantastically.

Naturally we have a whole load of adjustments to make to the rear wing, suspension, ride height, etc, but overall there were zero issues. A big step towards getting race ready.

And I'm so in love with the dash now:

B08mvOS.jpg

Absolutely adore the flocked look!

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, map said:

I'll bet - that's a healthy gain over stock.... how does that fit with the series' regulations?

Yep - the engine is completely stock. The only thing that isn't is the exhaust system shown on the pages prior to this one.

1 hour ago, JazH said:

rGq7NvR.jpg

Pleased with dyno results post-engine rebuild.

I know that these first water-cooled Porsche engines have wavy power curve but this looks better than I expected. Were these small up/downs between 5000-6000rpm very obvious on the dyno-runs?

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, map said:

@JazH - looks good - what colour scheme are you going for?

Just an all-black base for now. Have a new livery wrap in the works with the main sponsor, just need time to get it sorted properly.

4 hours ago, JazH said:

And a reminder of where we started:

rEf5NYq.jpg

Cracking result.  When is the first race?

Don't tell me you want your bonnet badge back now!  But you could get a Porsche crest sticker front bonnet.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Cracking result.  When is the first race?

Don't tell me you want your bonnet badge back now!  But you could get a Porsche crest sticker front bonnet.

Haha, I was looking for a decent Porsche crest sticker actually but couldn’t find any. 

First race is at Silverstone next weekend!

Looks awesome - great build! Before and after pictures are 😲

Regarding the hood crest; I bought from a well known Swedish Porsche parts supplier for £3 a few years back. They looked just like the official Porsche crest decal. Now they don't supply those anymore, unfortunately - probably wasn't the "official" one and Porsche cracked down on them.

These, however, look exactly like the ones I bought (and like Porsches official stickers). 

https://www.yhighercd.top/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=741033

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...