Heated windscreen washers - standard?

topradio

When I took my 986 for MOT a few weeks ago I noticed that one of the two washer jets on each side didn't work, this didn't cause a problem with the test fortunately but I made a mental note to fix them.

So, this weekend I took a look and as I know on some cars they are really difficult to unblock I decided to remove the whole unit.  It turns out that the hole is quite big, perhaps 1 mm and I could clear them easily with a small needle.

However I found something that I didn't know, they are heated.  I'm not sure what the condition is that turns on the circuit, perhaps when the wipers are on or more likely when the heated window/mirrors are operational?

EypuVN4.jpg

But what switches them on?  Automatic on external temp, heated rear screen switch (remember early cars have a vinyl rear window with on elements) or heated mirrors, not standard?

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

But what switches them on?  Automatic on external temp, heated rear screen switch (remember early cars have a vinyl rear window with on elements) or heated mirrors, not standard?

Drivers manual says the washer nozzles are heated when the ignition is on 

1 hour ago, jcs said:

That's simple and makes a lot of sense.  Did Porsche do something logical after all?

1 hour ago, Cheddar Bob said:

No I don't think it was porsche. Probably borrowed from another manufacturer

Good point, well made.  🙂

2 hours ago, the baron said:

Yep, new one on me, and very handy to know.

You've had heated washers working away on your car all this time and didn't know it!  Me neither, but I'm only a newbie! 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:23 AM, jcs said:

As simple as that?  So they are heated all summer also? Not when temp gets lower than 10C or similar?

Perhaps they just need a low current?

Archived