Boxster has died

Chukkieegg

My 2.5 started running lumpy on way home last night wouldn't accerlate I was only couple miles from home 

Won't start this morning turns over but won't fire waiting for rac to come 

Good start to a Thursday morning

These things normally turn out to be something simple ,hope this is the case for you , 🤞 no one wants a big spend this side of Christmas .good luck , sounds like it could be fuel pump 

1 hour ago, the baron said:

2.5's seem to be bomb proof so I think its not an engine catastrophe, as others have said plenty of things to check, sure it will be ok.

Engine turns over fine so not an engine failure and defo you can't hear the pump priming lol

Check the fuse then relay first. You can remove the relay and  bridge connections to see if the pump energises.

Simple first test is to put your finger on the pump relay body and turn the ignition on, you should feel it click on.

Hi easy to check if its the fuel pump I had simular issue earlier this year you can remove the fuel pump relay from the fuse  and insert a link across the relay terminals 

this applies constant power with the ignition on to the pump you should here it as there is no need to crank the engine pump is on 

if you here the pump possibly the fuel pump relay is the issue ( I read up loads on this issue poss. Crank sensor also  is another area but i'l bet its the pump easy to do if you take your time  )

Fairly local to you if you need to ask anything to help 

I checked every thing on the fuel system  fitted a brand new pump then after 15 miles the brand new pump failed again so checked the whole system out fitted the replacement pump supplied by Design 911 who where very helpful  replacement pump re fitted runs like a dream now no issue 

OK will try and combine this post with my other post about standard or sports springs 

Garage rang me this afternoon yes was fuel pump and now doing mot work I knew about but when they dropped shocks front both bump stops top mounts and shocks shot and they have been unable to locate any without going to porsche wolverhampton

I rang design 911  parts sorted in 10mins flat got a discount and free delivery and should be delivered tomorrow 

Yes it's going to be a bigger bill than anticipated but I think it will transform the car

Can't praise design 911 enough for their help

28 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

OK will try and combine this post with my other post about standard or sports springs 

Garage rang me this afternoon yes was fuel pump and now doing mot work I knew about but when they dropped shocks front both bump stops top mounts and shocks shot and they have been unable to locate any without going to porsche wolverhampton

I rang design 911  parts sorted in 10mins flat got a discount and free delivery and should be delivered tomorrow 

Yes it's going to be a bigger bill than anticipated but I think it will transform the car

Did you get Bilstein B4 OE equivalent shocks?  Definitely cheaper from D911 than OE Porsche, which are Bilstein.  You might have been able to do the same trick with Sachs for the top mounts, these can be had for £50 per pair rather than around £150 each from Porsche.  Still will make the front end a lot better, then you'll want to do the rear....

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Did you get Bilstein B4 OE equivalent shocks?  Definitely cheaper from D911 than OE Porsche, which are Bilstein.  You might have been able to do the same trick with Sachs for the top mounts, these can be had for £50 per pair rather than around £150 each from Porsche.  Still will make the front end a lot better, then you'll want to do the rear....

Yes Bilstein shocks and aftermarket top mounts and bump stops 

Although bump stops are nothing cost wise 😂 

2 hours ago, Chukkieegg said:

Yes Bilstein shocks and aftermarket top mounts and bump stops 

Although bump stops are nothing cost wise 😂 

Oh I know, I'm in process of doing all 4 coffin arms, front tuning forks, rear tie rods, rear bump stops and 4 shocks, having already  done front springs, bump stops and top mounts back in April. Close to topping £1400 in parts alone (plus a recip saw and an induction heater) and the only OE Porsche bits are the 4 camber bolts for the rear...  for entertainment value the parts manager at my local OPC did a parts costing for me for genuine parts just for what I'm doing now (so no front springs, bump stops and top mounts), but without the tie rods and camber bolts, and it was over £3200.  Annoyingly having found perished front bump stops my original rears are perfectly serviceable even though I got aftermarket replacements on the strength of the condition of the fronts... 

Well latest update dropped parts off at garage he was down on staff due to annual leave do hopefully get back this week 

One shocker was bent and both top mounts stripped the rubber from the mount both springs broke

It's going to be a different car when I get it back

12 minutes ago, Chukkieegg said:

Well latest update dropped parts off at garage he was down on staff due to annual leave do hopefully get back this week 

One shocker was bent and both top mounts stripped the rubber from the mount both springs broke

It's going to be a different car when I get it back

Wow, that's a lot of suspension damage.  I've just stripped and rebuilt all of mine front and rear and I did find a bent front tuning fork which is a very light alloy but it takes a hell of a force to bend a shock strut.  Shop very carefully for parts or you'll pay through the nose and certainly don't pay Porsche price other than possibly for the springs.  PM me if you want details of where I got my bits but I'd budget £6-700 if you shop smartly for shocks, springs, top mount, drop links (They will more than likely need cutting out) and bump stops (they'll likely be perished too).  Otherwise could be in excess of £1000.  You might also want top bearings, particularly on the side that has the damage. Both these prices are with labour on top.  Whilst its all in bits it might be worth doing ARB bushes too as they go hard over time.

No scare mongering here, but have damned good look round that corner with the bent shock for any chassis misalignments/damage just in case.

Yes, will be great when you get it back though.

On 11/4/2020 at 5:44 PM, Chukkieegg said:

2.5 years ago I bought a used fuel pump from Douglas Valley Spares and it’s been ticking away happily ever since. Perhaps the best £48 I spent that year, unless you could buying 99ron fuel to test the pump regularly. 

Aftermarket top mounts got bearings in them and design 911 recommended them

I knoe the car had some side impact on ns before I had it which is why I had to get sill plated that may of contributed to the shocker damage 

But had it wheel aligned when I first had the car and tracking was out so it all makes sense now  the more I find out about it 18months in and I still love it 😂 

Archived