Rubbish sound from stereo, very 'tinny'

Roger C

I have to admit that I'm very disappointed in the stereo in our 07 plate Boxster, having come from a Mini Cooper S with its awesome Harman Kardon system I was surprised that a premium car like a Porsche has such a rubbish stereo (unless you have the Bose system I guess)

The sound is 'tinny', there seems to be be very little 'bass' even though I have it set to max, I was wondering if this is just the norm or do I have a problem, is it possible the speakers could be blown or maybe an amp problem etc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Rog.

How many speakers can you count? I think Porsche came with 3 options.

They are absolutely not famous for their sound quality. But in a soft top with the flat 6 eighteen inches from your ear, one wonders if they should be.

we have had cases where the rear speaker box wasn't plugged in...

Were you playing Coldplay? Sorry.....

There have been cases where people have taken the door card off to change speakers and found the cones on the old ones completely rotted through. I suppose that could happen if water were getting in. Even when new the stock speakers were pretty cr*p. Guess they wanted the first owner to tick the Bose option.  

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

How many speakers can you count? I think Porsche came with 3 options.

They are absolutely not famous for their sound quality. But in a soft top with the flat 6 eighteen inches from your ear, one wonders if they should be.

we have had cases where the rear speaker box wasn't plugged in...

I count 6 in total, 2 in each door and 1 below the windscreen on each side.

I dont have Bose so I assume there is no rear speaker box.

When I have the sound up loud and put my hand infant of the door speakers I think I can feel movement on the smaller speaker only so was wondering if there is a cross over or an amp that feeds the larger bass speakers that fails etc.

Rog.

If you have "Sound Package Plus" (SPP) there is an "ASK" amp under the drivers seat - it's one of the candidates for getting drowned if you have blocked drains. I have had SPP on both my boxsters - good enough (for me, in a car)  and if it lacked anything it's mid/high end definition - it's plenty bass enough.

It's of course possible that a previous owner pulled the head unit and replaced it with something else, the reversed it in a hurry when selling - it may have been not reconnected properly. Similarly - someone could have been in the doors and replaced or modified the speakers in someway - think you are going to have to do a bit of "track and trace" to work out what you have got and if it's failing or disconnected in someway.

But - don't know how to tell if you have one or not ( it would show as an option if you have the build spec for the car) 

I think the most basic version had a speaker in each door and some tweeters on top of the dashboard. Nothing much else. That was certainly the case in my 987.1 Cayman. Nothing behind the speaker grilles in the rear (which aren't there in the Boxster) and nothing behind the other set of speaker grilles in the doors. 

The upside of the 'simple' system is that it makes upgrading it all much easier; no full with MOST or BOSE amps or speakers with funny impedences. 

SPP in the 987 has the ASK amp in the frunk behind some of the trim (or is that just the 987.1?). Easy to find.

I have the SPP with the amp in the frunk. I recently changed the head unit & that made a huge difference to the sound. I agree the stock sound is pretty poor, even with SPP. I was surprised the difference the head unit made. I had a MR2 roadster before, & changed out everything. Head unit, speakers, added an amp & sub, lined the doors & it still didn't sound fantastic. I assumed it was a small cabin thing, hence my surprise at how good my 987 now sounds just having changed out the head unit.

Also check the 'Loudness' option is on in the Bass, treble settings as this enhances it a bit.

I can imagine it being anoying if its a daily driver. Aftermarket system is the way to go, with bluetooth streaming and better speakers.

12 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

If it’s any consolation the Bose set up in 987’s is pretty cr*p too...

Had Bose on my previous 05 987. Not that impressed by it, but OK. Current 987.2 has the Porsche upgrade system (never quite sure what Porsche calls it) with blue tooth, phone connection and USB input, which I use for about 100 CDs on a memory stick. It's good enough to not want me to upgrade. I did have new software installed for the sat nav which allows full UK postcodes, though.  It could be if I had another car with an all singing and dancing system I'd want the same, but I don't. My other car is 1985. 😊

The base stereo has one speaker in each door and actually has a different door card without the extra grille. It's also absolutely terrible! The worst stereo I've heard in many years. I'm in the process of upgrading mine as you can barely hear it over the road/wind noise. 

On 11/8/2020 at 5:27 PM, cptspaulding said:

SPP in the 987 has the ASK amp in the frunk behind some of the trim (or is that just the 987.1?)

Correct. It is my understanding that this amp powers the door speakers and the HU powers the dash. I think there might well be an extra speaker in the centre of the dash. It is the door speakers that you need to check out if you are lacking bass - I can easily feel them if I put my hand on mine.

I have had to seal my speakers from behind, wind was blowing in through them. I have the base stereo, basically given up on it and put a decent coke can style speaker in front of the gear lever. The FM reception was awful, if I use it in the summer tend to listen to my Carnewal anyway. 

I haven't read through all the posts on this yet, but have you checked the Bass Amp which is hidden in the Frunk?

Mine died and the sound was very tinny. I looked for replacement.....a couple of companies did refurbs for £150(ish) quid or so, but I couldn't find one in a Breakers' Yard anywhere for less thank £300.00 quid+

Eventually called my local Porsche Dealer and they do a swap old for new service and I got a brand new one for around £180 (I think) plus my Porsche Owners Club discount on top of that.

It's hidden behind a panel in the Frunk and it just unclips and the new one clips in.

Anyway, forgive me if anyone has already mentioned this, I just thought it may help.

Good luck.

26 minutes ago, Verner said:

Eventually called my local Porsche Dealer and they do a swap old for new service

Is that an OPC or not? Certainly didn't know OPC would do something like that. Sounds like a great tip.

Archived