Squealing brakes

Christopher2110

Anyone had the issue and can suggest a solution?

I'm 99% sure its the front. They were new about 3,000 miles ago so I can't see its an issue with them bedding in. Seems to stop when they're warm or when braking firm but when your just creeping and pulling up they squeal like a little piggy 🐷

I didn't replace the shims, so I'm tempted to try that first as Design 911 have them in stock here. Has anyone tried the lubricant you can get that is supposed to stop it, or is that a big no no

On 11/12/2020 at 4:21 PM, Christopher2110 said:

Just general road use, no track and it doesn’t take a beating often at all. 
Like you I have found that after some hard braking it stops for a short amount of time 

I have the same after new discs and pads all round. 6k miles later still the same

5 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Cheers @bally4563. I’ve read conflicting write ups about this, but think it may be worth a go. 
Theres ‘proper’ anti squeak goo such as this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331276418581

Any thoughts?

I’ve always used Copaslip, so can’t recommend, plus if you get a little tube everything you strip down always gets a little dab, wether it’s fasteners or suspension parts.

Take a read of this.  It could be the fact that copper grease HAS been used that is contributing to the problem:

https://www.thepartsalliance.com/delphi-does-not-recommend-the-use-of-copper-grease/

It is a promo for anther type of grease but the first part does high light possible issues and then indicates where to sparingly us any lubricant grease.

I would be inclined to try replacing just the pads, once you can establish if it's the front or rear making the noise if you are going to go to the trouble of trying some grease which I feel won't make any difference. 

I used Borg and Beck which cost under 20 pounds and work really well. 

25 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Take a read of this.  It could be the fact that copper grease HAS been used that is contributing to the problem:

https://www.thepartsalliance.com/delphi-does-not-recommend-the-use-of-copper-grease/

It is a promo for anther type of grease but the first part does high light possible issues and then indicates where to sparingly us any lubricant grease.

Interesting read

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I would be inclined to try replacing just the pads, once you can establish if it's the front or rear making the noise if you are going to go to the trouble of trying some grease which I feel won't make any difference. 

I used Borg and Beck which cost under 20 pounds and work really well. 

This might be the first step forward, the rears haven’t been touched in a while so may be inclined to start there as you said before may not even be the fronts 

37 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Interesting, everyday is a school day!!

The brakes on my recently-purchased 2004 986 2.7 squeal a bit under light braking so I'm thinking of trying some copper grease.  The previous owner had recently replaced all the discs.

There's loads of chat on the internet about Porsche brakes squealing to the point that I've seen several official Porsche statements and videos on the subject that basically say Porsche brakes squeal because they are really high-performance. Get over it.

I only paid £5K for one of the greatest cars I've ever had so TBH I'm not that bothered but I've seen posts from people who've spent well north of £100K on what is currently in the dealer showrooms so I can understand their annoyance.

I'm not very convinced by the official Porsche explanation.  What do the rest of you think? Does anyone know if this is a common issue with any other performance car marque?

I've run both OEM and "uprated" pads in my 986S - don't remember there ever being any squeal with OEM pads.

Uprated pads have been a different story:

Pagid: These were the "fast road/trackday" pad - At the time they had amazing stopping power but very noisy at low speed - queuing traffic, low speed stops and the like.  Fixed by installing new OE anti-squeal shims.  

Carbon Lorriane: Now running CL RC5+ (multiple sets) which in my use case out perform Pagid by some margin across the board - no squeal.  They were installed from the outset with new OE anti-squeal shims.  What I will say is that there is an abrasion noise when you first use them after the car has been standing a couple of days which disappears after a couple of applications.  It then doesn't return until the car's unused for a while and even then and isn't anything like as intrusive as pad squeal.

So before going to the expense of new pads I'd try OE anti-squeal shims - from memory these use an adhesive layer to hold the pad to the shim so there's no need to use any grease.

21 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

You only need to spend 25 pounds or so to get a decent set of pads. 

👍 - helps to demonstrate that for ongoing service costs these cars, as standard, needn't be hugely expensive.

5 minutes ago, T911UK said:

No shims on a 2.5 or 2.7 986.

Thanks - have tweaked my comment to add the "S" bit for clarity.

30 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Did they have disc brakes 45 years ago 😜

Most definitely, it was a popular upgrade to stop you running into the man with a flag in front of you !!

6 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Did they have disc brakes 45 years ago 😜

Getting on for 70 years since Jaguar first won Le Mans with Dunlop disc brakes... they probably didn't care a jot if they squealed though.

Archived