Porschemode

mortzz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coolant is fair and the major service price is in the ball park.  Other jobs difficult to tell without a separate labour and parts element but working off a decent ramp CV boots seem high, parts are only about £40. Also got no VAT registration or VAT rates noted....

5 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Coolant is fair and the major service price is in the ball park.  Other jobs difficult to tell without a separate labour and parts element but working off a decent ramp CV boots seem high, parts are only about £40. Also got no VAT registration or VAT rates noted....

but there is no breakdown of anything, 

8 minutes ago, mortzz said:

thank you , £2000 for what ? just dont understand anyone paying that kind of money , can some one add up actual cost 

Using rounded D911 prices which are ex VAT

Tip oil pan 268, gasket 20, screws (27 if all changed) 1.72 ea, plug 9, seal 3, filter 30 - so we're  over £400 incl VAT then plus oil and labour

G'box cooler 152, cooler base plate 216  - £442 incl VAT then plus labour

So fair value, if not actually quite good value....  Tips ain't cheap to service and fix. 

(An oil change on a manual every 100k miles is more up my street both for cost and driving experience.)

I replied to the thread on the other site when it was posted about the prices of the boots, 

It seems the original poster didn't appreciate being told it seemed overpriced and called other porsche owners a few choice words

3 minutes ago, dunks said:

I replied to the thread on the other site when it was posted about the prices of the boots, 

It seems the original poster didn't appreciate being told it seemed overpriced and called other porsche owners a few choice words

If it was inner CV joints as well, price might be a bit closer.  But these cars can come with big bills, they are after all about 50% 996 and whilst the purchase price is low the maintenance is going to be in the same ball park as a premium vehicle unless you are good at DIYing.

Think I paid a couple of hundred quid for nearside inner/outer cv boots many years ago from an indie, so for all four maybe not extortionate. 

It's a Porsche. Some (probably more then not) garages charge accordingly. 

I feel so lucky being able to do just about everything myself , done all the disks and pads and my 21 year old 986 runs silky smooth,  but you have to use yr common sense when buying parts , not using Porsche main dealerships,  only thing I bought was a few disk bolts but as said most parts are 911 , 

1 minute ago, mortzz said:

I feel so lucky being able to do just about everything myself , done all the disks and pads and my 21 year old 986 runs silky smooth,  but you have to use yr common sense when buying parts , not using Porsche main dealerships,  only thing I bought was a few disk bolts but as said most parts are 911 , 

For any Porsche specific parts, when needed , you may find OPC cheaper (sometimes).  

Mention Porsche Club GB/Tipec membership and some offer 10% off.

OPCs are also happy to post smallish parts.

4 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

OP is this a question about whether porschemode exist, eg how genuine the receipt is, or a question over whether you should pay it

I think for me it was a question of whether I thought the guy was being ripped off ..  for me the receipt wasn't itemized correctly,  there is no hours for the work done 

1 minute ago, mortzz said:

there is no hours for the work done 

I've used garages that charge a low hourly rate, but aren't that fast, and others that are the opposite, and some in between. 

All that matters is the total cost imo. 

20 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I've used garages that charge a low hourly rate, but aren't that fast, and others that are the opposite, and some in between. 

All that matters is the total cost imo. 

Indeed and some Indy's list the hourly rate and amount of time on a job and others just give a price for a job. 

43 minutes ago, T911UK said:

As mentioned above, the invoice or receipt is mickey mouse at best, are they VAT registered? Seems weird?

Labour estiamte?      Is that Latin?

Looks like the last two lines are place holders to put in an MOT or estimates labour for quotes that someone forgot to delete for an invoice.  Most alarming would be the lack of VAT info, either VERY small turnover for a Porsche indy or non-compliant with the VAT regulations.

I think they ran the Latin into one word, would be est iam te - roughly translates as 'now you are' although not a proper Latin construction which would be (again roughly) 'iam te es'.  All a bit Monty Python's Life of Brian.

Archived