Correcting oversteer in low grip situation by dipping the clutch

andygo

Whenever I have a (generally snowy/icy low speed) oversteer situation and just lifting off the gas is likely to ibe nsufficient to regain some rear traction and get the car pointing the right way, I have used the last resort method of dipping the clutch to help allow the car to recover with previous RWD cars.

This technique has the advantage of removing any engine braking torque being applied to the rear whilst on the overrun and hence breaking traction.

Having recently acquired my Porsche with PDK, I wonder what the solution is to disengage drive whilst in an an icy skid? I doubt that there is one TBH!

https://www.total-car-control.co.uk/driving-tips/controlling-understeer-and-oversteer/

I've only had my Boxter for a few days and experienced oversteer twice at around 40mph. I've just applied a little too much power half way through the bend. I've never driven a mid engined car before, nor anything with such an instant response to throttle. I'm learning. It's a lot of fun & this car definitely gets my attention. It'll make a driver of me yet. 

Having done the Porsche Experience in Silverstone with my own car and used the kick plate and Ice hill there. The advice from the instructors, which worked very well, was apply more power to gain control of the slide. The kick plate and ice hill you hit at 20mph'ish so low speed onto a highly polished wet surface. very similar to ice. 

I've used the same technique in my Audi A4 quattro in really bad snow and ice and it works well, using the power to transfer the weight front to rear depending on where you need it. That's an Auto too

As for the PDK you can pull both paddles on the wheel to trip into neutral, the pull one paddle to flip back into gear. (assuming the 987 is the same as the 987 in that regard)

17 minutes ago, CMA said:

Having done the Porsche Experience in Silverstone with my own car and used the kick plate and Ice hill there. The advice from the instructors, which worked very well, was apply more power to gain control of the slide. The kick plate and ice hill you hit at 20mph'ish so low speed onto a highly polished wet surface. very similar to ice. 

I've used the same technique in my Audi A4 quattro in really bad snow and ice and it works well, using the power to transfer the weight front to rear depending on where you need it. That's an Auto too

As for the PDK you can pull both paddles on the wheel to trip into neutral, the pull one paddle to flip back into gear. (assuming the 987 is the same as the 987 in that regard)

Aha, thats the trick, pulling both paddles. Tricky with some opposite lock applied though.

Not quite as sensitive as the clutch dipping thing, (and I appreciate the apply more power approach) but there is a point where less is more!

12 hours ago, CMA said:

Dual paddle pull to neutral doesn't apply to the 987.2 PDK unfortunately (I wish it did 😃).

Back in the day I had a Saab 99 which came with a freewheel device. This prevented loss of traction on icey roads when lifting off the throttle. In effect it was the same principle as dipping the clutch, albeit oversteer was seldom an issue in a Saab!

20 hours ago, CMA said:

Weird, I was told to maintain a steady throttle, which worked very well,

9 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

I guess thats the nearest thing you can practically do.

I can confirm as noted ealier, pulling both paddles does not select neutral!

6 hours ago, Gdaybruce said:

Back in the day I had a Saab 99 which came with a freewheel device. This prevented loss of traction on icey roads when lifting off the throttle. In effect it was the same principle as dipping the clutch, albeit oversteer was seldom an issue in a Saab!

I had one of those, V4 engine, column gearshift. What a hoot!

Ah, that would have been a 96. The 99  succeeded it and used the Triumph ‘slant 4’ in line engine of (from memory) 1750cc. Much the same engine as used in the Triumph Dolomite. Later on Saab produced their own 2 litre and that was the engine used for the 99 Turbo. Which is probably more information than anyone actually wanted!

2 hours ago, Scubaregs said:

Yes, I have been 3 times (thanks to my SIL's excess of Porsche purchases not mine!) and each time the stress has been on maintaining throttle during a slide - blip of the throttle to initiate a slide on the skid pan.

14 minutes ago, entdgc said:

Yes, I have been 3 times (thanks to my SIL's excess of Porsche purchases not mine!) and each time the stress has been on maintaining throttle during a slide - blip of the throttle to initiate a slide on the skid pan.

Yep, not blipping during the slide.

Archived