'BallyBar' aka 'TechnoBrace' Install Guide

beaks

Hi all,

Received my 'BallyBar' from @bally4563 today and whacked it on. 

It's a royal 'piece of urine' to fit, but thought I'd do a quick write up on here for anyone thinking of getting one.

First things first - get the car up in the air. Apparently you can do it without jacking it up but I'm not the 20 year old gazelle I once was...

IMG-1282.jpg

Note - you don't need to take the wheels off but as it was up in the air I took the opportunity to give the brakes etc a once over.

Next job, using a 13mm socket remove the anti roll bar bolts on both sides (shown as 1 in the photo below). You can then pull the bar backwards to give you better access. Again, it may be possible to fit the bar without doing this, but for the sake of removing a few bolts why make life hard for yourself.

Once you've done this, use a 15mm socket to loosen the nut shown below (2). Don't take it all the way off, leave 'most' of the thread showing inside the nut. Then either using a punch or a 15mm impact socket (I recommend the socket) hammer the bolt out from its the housing (it's a captive bolt). If it doesn't come out wind some more of the nut off and go again. It will come out! Obviously you'll need to remove the bolt on both sides...

IMG-1284.jpg

Next, slide in your bar and simply line it up where the bolts you've just removed once were. Drop the new bolts in, then tighten up the nuts. Not sure of the torque value, but I'd go 'half a turn before FT'...

Drop the 4 anti roll bar bolts back in and that's it. Job done.

IMG-1288.jpg

IMG-1287.jpg

Get the car back on the ground, pat yourself on the back and crack open a Stella and chill.

Cheers all.

Ian B

Edited by beaks
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BBB said:

Thanks for the write up. I have one on order too.

Where did you get your Rennstands @beaks

thanks bud.

bought them direct from the USA from here - https://safejacks.com/collections/compact-jack-stands

not super cheap (and of course, got hit for import duty when they arrived) but they're a really good product.

you can't put a price on safety!

2 hours ago, beaks said:

Hi all,

Received my 'BallyBar' from @bally4563 today and whacked it on. 

It's a royal 'piece of urine' to fit, but thought I'd do a quick write up on here for anyone thinking of getting one.

First things first - get the car up in the air. Apparently you can do it without jacking it up but I'm not the 20 year old gazelle I once was...

IMG-1282.jpg

Note - you don't need to take the wheels off but as it was up in the air I took the opportunity to give the brakes etc a once over.

Next job, using a 13mm socket remove the anti roll bar bolts on both sides (shown as 1 in the photo below). You can then pull the bar backwards to give you better access. Again, it may be possible to fit the bar without doing this, but for the sake of removing a few bolts why make life hard for yourself.

Once you've done this, use a 15mm socket to loosen the nut shown below (2). Don't take it all the way off, leave 'most' of the thread showing inside the nut. Then either using a punch or a 15mm impact socket (I recommend the socket) hammer the bolt out from its the housing (it's a captive bolt). If it doesn't come out wind some more of the nut off and go again. It will come out! Obviously you'll need to remove the bolt on both sides...

IMG-1284.jpg

Next, slide in your bar and simply line it up where the bolts you've just removed once were. Drop the new bolts in, then tighten up the nuts. Not sure of the torque value, but I'd go 'half a turn before FT'...

Drop the 4 anti roll bar bolts back in and that's it. Job done.

IMG-1288.jpg

IMG-1287.jpg

Get the car back on the ground, pat yourself on the back and crack open a Stella and chill.

Cheers all.

Ian B

Nice one, tested it yet?

just back from another one of my '#NoHibernationOnMyWatch' runs...

as some of you know I 'retro fitted' a front brace to my car not so long ago and then the 'BallyBrace' today. could just be a placebo of course but I do feel a bit more confidence when driving the car hard. hard to put into words but I just 'feel' the car is under me better of late.

of course, the difference both of these upgrades make isn't going to be as obvious as replacing your whole suspension...

I think the last car I owned that I felt this much confidence with was my Peugeot 306 Rallye, and trust me, that car was epic.

7 minutes ago, beaks said:

just back from another one of my '#NoHibernationOnMyWatch' runs...

as some of you know I 'retro fitted' a front brace to my car not so long ago and then the 'BallyBrace' today. could just be a placebo of course but I do feel a bit more confidence when driving the car hard. hard to put into words but I just 'feel' the car is under me better of late.

of course, the difference both of these upgrades make isn't going to be as obvious as replacing your whole suspension...

I think the last car I owned that I felt this much confidence with was my Peugeot 306 Rallye, and trust me, that car was epic.

I got the same feeling also, there is a tangible difference, not light and day but definitely worth doing.

9 hours ago, beaks said:

Like the 'Bally Brace' name 👍

Torque to 65Nm or 48 lbft if you use the same torque as the original stud in this position.

Nice write up, hoping to fit mine tomorrow and I ahve done all new suspension in the last 9 months.

@Araf any way to modify this thread into a How To and copy it to that section of the forum?

Edited by ½cwt

Mine dropped in perfectly on my 986 at the weekend.  To confirm you cannot get the brace past the ARB on a 986 without undoing the ARB mounts. 

Nicely made product Mick. 👍

Mentioned elsewhere, i have three I’ve made now in stock, two for 987.1 and one for a 986, two more that have been sold, are out for delivery, so will be interesting to see the feedback from them.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have materials for two more at the moment, it is much easier to knock a couple out once I’m set up than doing one every now and again. If you have followed this thread all feedback is very positive on the transition it makes

9 hours ago, RP993 said:

hello,
do you have on stock / can you produce a bar for 987.2 S?
Many thanks for your reply
greetings from Budapest
Arpad

Unfortunately because of the gearbox mounts I can’t do a gen2 …..yet, need to borrow a car for an hour and do some measuring up