Would an Indie be happy to fit after market parts supplied by customer?

McDonald

I have a considerable list of repairs to be done. A highly reputable indie has quoted for the work with an itemised bill. Carparts4less can supply after market parts much more cheaply. I wonder if I can buy the parts and ask the indie to supply the labour? is that likely to be acceptable or will they refuse out-of-hand?

eg condenser £249.00 or £165 from 4less

coil pack £52 0r £ 21.00 from 4less

With these kind of savings I could afford to get everything done more quickly.

You can get condensers for about £75 a pair.

Unless you have an existing relationship with them most indy are increasingly unlikely to fit your supplied parts. 

Worth asking the indy, particularly if you have an existing relationship.

Have no issue with indies charging retail +/- for parts (which they probably get at trade price), but find it annoying when there's obviously a huge mark up on parts. Am happy to pay for time / expertise, but not too happy when the trade take the p!ss with parts pricing. Not suggesting all indies are like this, but they exist.

7 hours ago, edc said:

You can get condensers for about £75 a pair.

Unless you have an existing relationship with them most indy are increasingly unlikely to fit your supplied parts. 

I checked the Carparts4less site and they had three different ones listed as suitable, £54. £68 & £165. I just assumed the most expensive ones as the Indie was quoting £249.

I guessed the Indie's wouldn't play ball. That's why I asked on here before calling them.

3 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Worth asking the indy, particularly if you have an existing relationship.

Have no issue with indies charging retail +/- for parts (which they probably get at trade price), but find it annoying when there's obviously a huge mark up on parts. Am happy to pay for time / expertise, but not too happy when the trade take the p!ss with parts pricing. Not suggesting all indies are like this, but they exist.

I don't have an existing relationship with an Indie. I moved to W.Sussex in November and got my 1st Porsche in late December.

I'm pretty sure they only fit official Porsche parts, so no dodging the Porsche tax. I can save (a little) money on labour but nothing on parts.

Condensers was one of the first jobs I did on mine.  I assume all the gas has gone from the system which is why you believe they need changing?  If you have the time and space as well as inclination to work on the car yourself it is not a complicated job.  Front pumper off which is about 12 small screws (PH2 cross head) and 6 clips in the front wheel arches.  Then take off the rad ducts, 5 screws (Torx 30) each side.  2 screw to release the condensers (Torx 30) and one union (5mm Allen IIRC) to undo of each.

Do the drier/desiccator too which is in the passenger side of the front bulkhead near the battery and change the seals at each joint too.

Put a blanket on the ground in front of the car for when to remove/refit the bumper cover so you don't damage the paint.  Even working slowly and carefully it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours and you can clear all the road rubbish from your rads whilst in there.  Re-gas at ATS Euromaster for about $£40 if you use a Groupon voucher.

None of this is 'Porsche specific' work so you could try a quote from any reputable local mechanic or even a/c centre and compare parts and labour costs.

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

I'm pretty sure they only fit official Porsche parts

I'm not sure that's true at all, certainly for any car well out of warranty.

It's a more positive question though, if you point out to an indy that you want CP4L condensers, would they happily buy them and fit them for you? it removes the provenance from the equation.

26 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

I'm not sure that's true at all, certainly for any car well out of warranty.

It's a more positive question though, if you point out to an indy that you want CP4L condensers, would they happily buy them and fit them for you? it removes the provenance from the equation.

This. As the Indy has given an itemised quote it's not like they are trying to hide anything. Just ask them if they would be happy to source cheaper parts and pass on the saving, as Meno says it removes the parts provenance issue. I think the measure and value of Independents is very much in the dialogue they are prepared to have with customers.

I’ve been using the same place for 8 years and he’s great, will fit any part I supply but he also charges whatever he paid for the parts so no markup, worth going in and speaking to some to build up a relationship with them.

53 minutes ago, Topbox said:

This. As the Indy has given an itemised quote it's not like they are trying to hide anything. Just ask them if they would be happy to source cheaper parts and pass on the saving, as Meno says it removes the parts provenance issue. I think the measure and value of Independents is very much in the dialogue they are prepared to have with customers.

I guess most customers for an elite brand like Porsche, just pay whatever appears on the bill. I always have in the past. Reading the forum has encouraged me to look at the various sources mentioned and start to see the chasm between those with practical skills and the rest. I had to watch YouTube videos to learn where the air filter goes. I didn't know what coil packs were until I googled it. Having done a couple of very small jobs myself, I'm intending to do another couple of small jobs next week. I know I won't become Mr Practical but I'm starting to see that I can save some money by considering my options more carefully. 

• Like 1

Hi @McDonald yes the power of the forum. We are a broad church here and many Boxster on a budget owners like myself. I'm not a big DIY type but many here are and lots of info available as you have discovered. Good Indies will support you as they know it's worth it in the long run. The interesting thing is Ferdinand Porsche did not see his cars as an elite brand but more of a 'volks' sports car that owners could work on and tinker with. While the wealthy pay their money for the latest and fastest, part of the Porsche DNA can not be brought - you can only access it through  interaction with fellow owners, so here we ALL are, that care about that. 😁👍

• Like 2

@McDonald if you were close I'd be happy to help you out to familiarise you with smaller or easier jobs.  Certainly echo @Topbox in that these cars are just cars, there's nothing that special on them in the way it goes together, suspension is light alloy here it might be pressed steel on a cheaper car but they still bolt together much the same way.  It helps to be mechanically minded but is not essential.  The key is knowing which jobs you are confident enough to tackle and only by doing it not only on my Boxster but other cars over the years I've got the confidence to tackle more but I wouldn't open a gear box or engine for example and I'm not keen on electrics. 

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

@McDonald if you were close I'd be happy to help you out to familiarise you with smaller or easier jobs.  Certainly echo @Topbox in that these cars are just cars, there's nothing that special on them in the way it goes together, suspension is light alloy here it might be pressed steel on a cheaper car but they still bolt together much the same way.  It helps to be mechanically minded but is not essential.  The key is knowing which jobs you are confident enough to tackle and only by doing it not only on my Boxster but other cars over the years I've got the confidence to tackle more but I wouldn't open a gear box or engine for example and I'm not keen on electrics. 

The more we learn, the more we realise how little we know.

I don't think Ferdinand P had me in mind but I admire his work.

Thanks for your encouragement. I won't take on stuff if I think I'm likely to disable the car. I've found the 'How to' videos and reading extensively on the forum have improved my understanding considerably, but from a very low start point. The supportive nature of the forum and shared knowledge is very valuable, I really appreciate it.

I've always loved cars. Now I'm starting to get to know one more intimately. .

• Like 1

Many Indy's will use quality aftermarket parts or parts from the OE manufacturer just not supplied by Porsche. They will typically buy from the likes of ECP and yes you can often source the parts yourself. Most indy will not warranty or guarantee the part if you supply it. 

You will really only find out by asking the Indy's and they will all have different risk appetites. A generalisation but I can imagine they would say no to a complete novice who doesn't really know what they are buying and just buying on price alone from eBay, but may say yes to somebody who is much more researched and clearly knowledgeable. I have had Centre Gravity fit homemade rear toe links and the some what home made rear brace bar while that was being done. They were also happy for me to source my own rod ends but in the end I just bought them through CG. 

My local non Porsche garage will happily fit any junk I bring them. Local German car/Porsche Indy offered to fit my tuning forks no probs. It might depend on the part and where you get it. I wouldn't have thought branded parts should be an issue.

There again another local Porsche indy quoted me really low labour prices to fit their parts then doubled the parts price. Didn't go there.

32 minutes ago, JonSta said:

My local non Porsche garage will happily fit any junk I bring them. Local German car/Porsche Indy offered to fit my tuning forks no probs. It might depend on the part and where you get it. I wouldn't have thought branded parts should be an issue 

Apparently the issue is the garage still has to warranty the parts even if the customer supplies them. 

@dunks posted about this I think some time ago. 

Edited by PaulQ

20 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Apparently the issue is the garage still has to warranty the parts even if the customer supplies them. 

@dunks posted about this I think some time ago. 

This is the case, although strictly the warranty (1 year) would go back to the manufacturer for components faults (they'd have to pursue it on your behalf) and workmanship fault would rest with the fitter which would be the case anyway.

6 hours ago, McDonald said:

I don't have an existing relationship with an Indie. I moved to W.Sussex in November and got my 1st Porsche in late December.

I'm pretty sure they only fit official Porsche parts, so no dodging the Porsche tax. I can save (a little) money on labour but nothing on parts.

I'd tell the Indy that the parts all came with the car when you bought it and see what they say.

Thanks for all the input.

I would only use branded parts that I've seen recommended on here. I wouldn't want to spend good money with a quality Indie while asking them to install junk. I am quite surprised to see such mark up on the parts. I'm setting out on a journey that will cost several thousands. I'd prefer to reduce the number of thousands with a bit of sensible shopping for spares.

I'm also starting to think that some of this work doesn't require judgement on the part of the fitter. For instance, the condensers and the coil packs might be delegated to a local garage. I'm not sure of any of this but I've got to consider where expertise comes into play.