Boxster 986S service kit - Best place to buy

Rav

Greetings all.

The Boxster simply is not moving and lock down has made going out for the occasional jaunt, difficult. I was doing about 2k miles a year prior to the pandemic and am sure this year the car will have done less than 500 miles.

Viola is due a service and whilst half of me thinks that the oil and filters will be as new considering the mileage i have done, the other half of me is thinking that a home service might be a good stop gap.

What are peoples thoughts on this and what would you suggest? I am starting to get competent at car repairs at home and could service the car myself, thus saving labour. 

Is there a good quality service kit available - rather than me picking out all the parts separately? 

You can get them on ECP etc but really all you need is an oil filter and maybe an air filter. I would always price up individually against a kit too and just but the most economical way. You could also just do an oil change and inspection service at an indy too.

4 hours ago, Rav said:

Greetings all.

The Boxster simply is not moving and lock down has made going out for the occasional jaunt, difficult. I was doing about 2k miles a year prior to the pandemic and am sure this year the car will have done less than 500 miles.

Viola is due a service and whilst half of me thinks that the oil and filters will be as new considering the mileage i have done, the other half of me is thinking that a home service might be a good stop gap.

What are peoples thoughts on this and what would you suggest? I am starting to get competent at car repairs at home and could service the car myself, thus saving labour. 

Is there a good quality service kit available - rather than me picking out all the parts separately? 

Shopping around on eBay is best bet, I find.

A good set of ramps are useful so you can get under the car to replace the oil filter and get to the sump plug, your welcome to borrow mine.

Not heard of a service kit but Eurocarparts are good for that type of stuff, I do a service every 3000-5000 miles and usually order:

Oil: Mob 3000 x 10 litres

Oil filter

Air filter

And plugs but not necessary if you’ve not done that many miles.

@Rav if Viola as not been used all that's necessary is oil and a filter.  Fresh oil is the best way to look after these motors.  Why replace an air filter or cabin pollen filter that has had no air going through it?  Plugs last the same mileage whether it has been done over 2 years or 5 years or even more, replace on condition not age.

Thanks all - Oil and filter it is then and I can afford to wait until it warms up a bit outside!

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Plugs last the same mileage whether it has been done over 2 years or 5 years or even more, replace on condition not age.

My maintenance schedule says,' Plugs change every 60,000 miles but no later than every four years.'

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

My maintenance schedule says,' Plugs change every 60,000 miles but no later than every four years.'

So how does a plug deteriorate over time on a 20 year old car?  Using them slowly erodes the tips with the sparking, I can't see how else they 'wear out'.  Obviously the insulator can crack and things like that but you'd get a misfire.  Porsche have to give their dealers something to sell on newer cars.....

When I bought the car immediately replaced spark plugs. They were 28k miles old and in need to be replaced. 
I am used to replace spark plugs every 10k miles on any of my cars...oil and filter every year regardless of mileage and Interim oil replacement from the top by vacuum pump every 6 months (no filter replacement).

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

So how does a plug deteriorate over time on a 20 year old car?  Using them slowly erodes the tips with the sparking, I can't see how else they 'wear out'.  Obviously the insulator can crack and things like that but you'd get a misfire.  Porsche have to give their dealers something to sell on newer cars.....

That all makes sense but I'm quoting from the maintenance booklet supplied with the car. Weirdly, the main dealer has ignored this easy sale. They've been changed once in 16 years, though the car has been serviced by Porsche, Bristol from new.

1 hour ago, McDonald said:

That all makes sense but I'm quoting from the maintenance booklet supplied with the car. Weirdly, the main dealer has ignored this easy sale. They've been changed once in 16 years, though the car has been serviced by Porsche, Bristol from new.

Looks like they've been working on condition.in which case nice to see they've not been changing part unnecessarily.  Mine had new plugs at its service 2 years ago at 19 years old and 91k miles, only the third set on the car according to the history.

Euro car parts (ECP)OR GSF parts (German,Swedish and French) normally get my money though as I've been told by highly knowledgeable forum members don't automatically over look a Porsche dealership for certain model specific parts 🙂

OEM Spark plugs can be sourced from Ebay

Electricals can be sourced from The Green Spark Plug Company....(including believe it or not Spark Plugs)

When i serviced my porker last year i bought stuff from all diff places.

Euro car parts, GSF etc i remember getting a stonking deal on my oil £52 for 10 ltr of Mobil Super 3000 X1 Engine Oil - 5W-40

I get my service kits from Max @ Frazerpart - very reasonable if you need the plugs and all OEM parts (Beru, Mahle etc)

Oil - Wilko do some stonking deals on 5w/40 if that's what you choose to run (a tenner for 2l, don't seem to do the 5l any more)

https://frazerpart.com/collections/service-items-parts

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/redex-5w-40-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-2-litre/p/0502154 

Thread hijack: is there any reason why Mobile 1 FS 0W-40 would not be suitable for my 1998 Boxster?Amazon's online guide says not suitable!

I've used it previously.  Am I missing something?

36 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Thread hijack: is there any reason why Mobile 1 FS 0W-40 would not be suitable for my 1998 Boxster?Amazon's online guide says not suitable!

I've used it previously.  Am I missing something?

It is Porsche A40 approved, it's fine.  Amazon and ebay's look up charts don't always work properly.

https://www.mobil.co.uk/en-gb/product/mobil-1-fs-0w-40/

Archived