Is it really that bad?

718as

Hate is a strong word😡

I prefer the sound of a flat 6 but I'm not that fussed, a flat turbo flat 4 goes very well and that's all I'd be bothered about.

I started out with a Porsche 944 many years ago and got people telling me it wasn't a Porsche as it had an Audi van engine in it. Then when I bought my first Boxster I received jokes about not being able to tell which end was which. 

I may buy a 718 next and it will probably be the 2.5 turbo engine over the 4 litre.

1 hour ago, 718as said:

No it isn't, it's just different.

I've driven a 718 and the 718S as loaners. 

I like the low end torque.

If someone gave me one I could live with the sound difference, I got over it in 10 mins.

The title of that video alone is enough to make me not bother watching it.  How do they know that EVERYONE hates it, have they literally spoken to everyone in the whole world and asked them personally?  

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

The title of that video alone is enough to make me not bother watching it.  How do they know that EVERYONE hates it, have they literally spoken to everyone in the whole world and asked them personally?  

You sound very Hugh Grant :laugh:

These two just like attention, so don't take it as gospel.

Good car when driven on its own, some nice little improvements over the 981 and very quick in S form but you do get some lag and all the character is gone.

If you don't care about the sound then it's potentially worth buying over the 981 but suspect it will depreciate because most people will want the flat 6 soundtrack.

Torque from low RPM is impressive, but the lag when not in sport is very 1980's, can't really comment on the sound (Was a Cayman loaner) apart from there's no howl at higher engine speeds.

49 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Why is this in the 981 section?

Presumably because so few people like the 718S that it doesn't have a section of its own?

PS. I drove a 718 for a weekend ( I won it as a prize) & everyone said what a fantastic sound it made.  

Going through the long tunnel on the A3 with the roof down was a blast.

I couldn't fault the way the 718 Cayman I test drove actually performed, as people have said, torquey, quick and a nice place to be. However, the sound was lacking in comparison with a flat 6 and a mate who was with me at the time said it sounded like a tractor when I pulled away (I didn't get that from inside). If they'd offered me a decent part-ex on my 987 I might have bought it but they kept me waiting for ages then offered me £6k (about 18 months ago), so I walked. A month later they reduced the asking price by more than the difference in our valuations for my 987... 

Agreed, had a couple of these on loan when I had the Boxster.  The 718s are rapid, especially with that "turbo nutter" button that lets rip for 15s or so.  Drive really well and nice mild interior upgrades from the 981.  Ideal if you're not fussed about the engine noise.

That said, I'll never forget test driving a 981 for the first time.  Think a bit of wee came out as the engine roared, spluttered and the auto blip caught me by surprise.

I wear Tena pants now, just in case! :D 

Archived