Anyone fitted side decals ?

Medic-one

6 hours ago, Shippers01 said:

Like these. Have you got link to whete you got them? And what size is the lettering. Also do they come in different colours.

Cheers

I got them of a guy who posted it in the "Porsche for Sale, UK" facebook group. His name is Jamie Lee. They are available in black and in chrome and cost £ 25, including postage. 

Here's the link :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/968587889832672/permalink/4192509087440520/?sale_post_id=4192509087440520&referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

2 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

I got them of a guy who posted it in the "Porsche for Sale, UK" facebook group. His name is Jamie Lee. They are available in black and in chrome and cost £ 25, including postage. 

Here's the link :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/968587889832672/permalink/4192509087440520/?sale_post_id=4192509087440520&referralSurface=messenger_lightspeed_banner&referralCode=messenger_banner

Is it this chap?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

Here's the link :

Cheers medic-one.

On 5/11/2021 at 8:45 PM, Pinewood said:

cardboard cutout as shown by @red rocket

without one you will be measuring and double guessing

So I've got the letters, and there's in this cutout, but this is obviously straight :

20210510-143546.jpg

I've taken the Boxster badge off, ready to put them on :

20210515-144714.jpg 

How did you get the curve on yours, like in your picture above ?  Did you stick the 'S' first, and then the two groups of 3 letters each side in one go, slightly downwards, or did you then do each individual letter trying to maintain the angle ? 

41 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

How did you get the curve on yours, like in your picture above ?  Did you stick the 'S' first, and then the two groups of 3 letters each side in one go, slightly downwards, or did you then do each individual letter trying to maintain the angle ? 

I cut my template up and played around with spacing. Tried different gaps but In the end i think i wemt with same spacing as template. Think i found the centre line on the lid and placed the S over it first then worked out. Used credit card for spacing from bottom edge. Just have a play and see what you like. 

21 minutes ago, red rocket said:

Used credit card for spacing from bottom edge. Just have a play and see what you like. 

I did try that, but I think your angle is the opposite of Pinewoods which is what I'm trying to copy, and I don't think that the credit card trick works with his as they're angled the opposite way of the boot line.

4 minutes ago, Medic-one said:

I did try that, but I think your angle is the opposite of Pinewoods which is what I'm trying to copy, and I don't think that the credit card trick works with his as they're angled the opposite way of the boot line.

Fair enough. Go with whatever you prefer. Interestingly,  if you crouch down behind my car the PORSCHE looks completely straight. :laugh:

I basically went for the straight version and didn't follow the curve of the boot lid edge. 

It's down to personal preference. 

play around with the cutout until you're happy

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Pinewood said:

I basically went for the straight version and didn't follow the curve of the boot lid edge. 

It's down to personal preference. 

play around with the cutout until you're happy

Yours are on straight??  I thought they were at a slight curve as well.. 😲

Looking at the photos in this thread I prefer your look over that of the one that follows the curve of the boot, but I thought you had done the opposite, as in a slight upside down curve, and that's what I was trying to figure out how to do! 🤣🤣

But if yours are on straight I've been making this extra difficult for myself for nothing 🤣

Doubtless a lot of this will be optical illusion - you measure it one way but it "looks" another. You'll have to call which way you want the compromise (and ignore years of comments from others "you put it on wonky!")

It's like fitting the curtain rail in my daughter's bedroom, spirit level and distance from top of window said it was perfect, yet it looked slanted as the ceiling just above was slanted.

I have done this on a couple of Porsche cars

You will need some masking tape and some stiff cardboard.

Lay the masking tape (leaves no marks) across the rear where you want the bottom of the letters. Straight or slightly curved your personal preference. 

Measure to the centre of the tape. That will be where the letter S goes - handy Porsche having 7 letters!

Make a carboard cross as in the pic - that ensures the correct spacing between the letters.

Work outwards placing each letter into the the template lining the horizontal with the top edge of the masking tape to ensure letters are straight. 

If you place them really gently you can move them.

Remove tape and sorted. Mine is actually placed straight as to my duff eyes it looked better from lower angles.

Be cautious there are plastic chrome letters and metal chrome letters . There are fakes on the market - Ebay and they will get through one winter before showing tarnish.

Regards

Glen

20210516_171012.jpg

20210516_171245.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Medic-one said:

I'm still making up my mind if I want to do this, but must admit I do like that look! 

Have you got any more pictures by any chance? 

No, only saw this the other day.  He added a Porsche Detail to the spoiler too

May be an image of car and outdoors

Can I ask how easy is it to remove the existing Boxster badge on the boot? Mine is a white 2005 and I’m nervous that if I remove the lettering will I still be able to see a paint mismatch from weathering?

4 hours ago, Sammysmiths said:

Can I ask how easy is it to remove the existing Boxster badge on the boot? Mine is a white 2005 and I’m nervous that if I remove the lettering will I still be able to see a paint mismatch from weathering?

Easy to remove with dental floss. A bit of heat would help too. There have been various discussions about paint underneath. I had no discolouration on my '06. Some, i think with older 986's, have had some shadowing. Do a search for badge and for @Davey P's famous caramel wheel and you'll find some leads.

• Haha 1