Tyres - did I do the wrong thing and what is the right thing?

KWR73

I put a pair of yokohamas on the back of my car, no P2,3 or 4 available at the time and am not sure if I really regret it.  The front need changing and I am naturally gravitating to the P4, but honestly what should I be shodding my car with?  

The Yoko on the back seem okay, not problem with grip compared to the the P2s I replaced.  Any Yoko horror stories?

Is there an unwritten rule that Michelin or Pirelli P0 only, or are there other good tyres for these special little cars?   

19 minutes ago, KWR73 said:

I put a pair of yokohamas on the back of my car, no P2,3 or 4 available at the time and am not sure if I really regret it.  The front need changing and I am naturally gravitating to the P4, but honestly what should I be shodding my car with?  

The Yoko on the back seem okay, not problem with grip compared to the the P2s I replaced.  Any Yoko horror stories?

Is there an unwritten rule that Michelin or Pirelli P0 only, or are there other good tyres for these special little cars?   

No, there are a few people who insist that only N rated should be used, but these are generally not people who know much about tyres and are just regurgitating what they’ve heard. The Michelin PS4 does get very good reviews, not so sure about the Pirelli’s, a bit more mixed from memory. Just replaced my rear Khumos with another set of Khumos as they work really well for the spirited driving I do. Don’t last that long, but as I only do 3-4K a year it’s not really an issue. I doubt you’ll regret the PS4 on the front and I don’t see an issue with different brands front and rear although some will be horrified.

• Like 2

Be careful with the Michelin naming convention, it’s the PS4S that you’ll probably be wanting not the PS4, assuming it’s available in your size

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 2001pt said:

Be careful with the Michelin naming convention, it’s the PS4S that you’ll probably be wanting not the PS4, assuming it’s available in your size

That's a big assumption.  Most 'normal' road users of a Boxster would only benefit from a PS4, PS4S would only apply if for some track work too surely?

1 hour ago, KWR73 said:

My 986 came with Bridgestone N2 S-02 son the front (Old and starting to crack) and Nankang on the back.  Handled OK as they were balanced.  Subsequently changed the Bridgestones to Goodyear Asymmetric 5 which gave more front grip, then when I went to 18" rims fitted Dunlop Sportmaxx RT-2.  Not an N rated tyre in sight now and it handles fine and is well balanced.  Getting balanced grip front to rear is probably more important than ultimate grip unless you intend to take it to the chassis' and your limit on a regular basis.  Some on here swear by Kuhmo or Avon others will only ever fit Porsche N homologated Michelin, Pirelli etc. (even if the tyre they choosey may not have been homologated by Porsche for their particular model, just to show how crazy this can all get)

Joking aside & in fairness to 1/2cwt, the OP doesn’t state usage so it would be fair to substitute “probably” with “possibly” in my original comment (too late to edit)

Main point of my original post was to raise awareness of there being a difference which is often overlooked

Having different tyres front and rear is fine as long as you are aware and drive to their limits. I had PZero N0 on the front and PZero N1 on the rear. Much less front grip than rear. Once the N0 got worn down I had Michelin PS4S on the front. Much more front grip that rear now. But I just drive to that knowledge. Once the rears wear out they will get the same PS4S on them and all back to balance.

Like @Nobbie I had Kumho front and rear on my 986 and was perfectly happy with them during (very) spirited road driving in wet or dry. I would also echo his comments about wear though (6000 out of rears IIRC). I now have new PS4S on my 987.2 which is more a reflection of my circumstances than dissatisfaction with Kumho, oh and they don't have rim protection, I forgot that was factor due to the value of the wheels on this car.

58 minutes ago, CMA said:

Having different tyres front and rear is fine as long as you are aware and drive to their limits. I had PZero N0 on the front and PZero N1 on the rear. Much less front grip than rear. Once the N0 got worn down I had Michelin PS4S on the front. Much more front grip that rear now. But I just drive to that knowledge. Once the rears wear out they will get the same PS4S on them and all back to balance.

Wasn't really commenting on safety so much as fun. What's the point of these cars if you can't exit bends with the back a bit loose and the front clinging on for grim death.....👍

Edited by JonSta
  • Like 1