981 Projector 'Puddle' Lights

Buzzfox

Been watching a few Youtube clips of the light on the bottom of the door being swapped out for a 'Porsche' projected puddle light, mostly on 991 cars. It looked quite smart but I couldn't recall seeing any lights on the bottom of my doors. I've had a look and there does seem to be a lens in a similar position but it doesn't come on when I open the door.

Would I be correct in suspecting that the Boxster was only fitted with a reflector on the door bottom while the 911 got a proper powered light? That would explain quite adequately why it doesn't light up and I never noticed it!

pretty sure that my 987.2 has lights - not at the bottom as such but on the bottom of the door card - don't know if that's a 987 thing - or because mine has full leather or some such trim combo.

18 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Been watching a few Youtube clips of the light on the bottom of the door being swapped out for a 'Porsche' projected puddle light, mostly on 991 cars. It looked quite smart but I couldn't recall seeing any lights on the bottom of my doors. I've had a look and there does seem to be a lens in a similar position but it doesn't come on when I open the door.

Would I be correct in suspecting that the Boxster was only fitted with a reflector on the door bottom while the 911 got a proper powered light? That would explain quite adequately why it doesn't light up and I never noticed it!

Mine is the same on my 981, I think puddle lights might be a extra on ours. I’m sure someone on here has wired their own up👍

To do the puddle lights you have to tap into the footwell lights. I have the lights and wiring ready to install it’s just finding the time. 
I think on the 991 they are wired into a control module actually in the door and if you do the same on ours it brings up an error. 
The simplest way is to just take a pair of wires from the puddle light locations, through the door boots and then connect up under the footwells. 
The projection lights do look very smart. 😁👍🏼

I did this I think it was one of the first jobs I did. Absolute ball ache of a job to be honest although it's probably the same level and install the carplay and taking the dials out.  Door card off is easy just routing the wiring through the rubber and into the fuse area and around to the footwell lights is pretty easy, it's tight and be careful what you use to feed the cable through I read on one of the USA forums he used a coat hanger then alot of electrics stopped working and he had pierced several of the wires inside the rubber grommet and caused a short and cost slot because it took hours to find.  It's doable I done it in a weekend but just bought those cheap Porsche badge lights to see what they are like.  I do have my eye on a set of the crisp white Porsche logo lights but last time I looked they were about £115.

Thanks for the replies. I thought as much but the thought of ripping door cards off and fiddling with electrics fills me with dread and fear so I think I'll be leaving well alone!

Edited by Buzzfox

The lights in the doors came as part of a lighting option.  If you have lights in your sun visors - you have lights in your doors.

I started looking at this a few months ago after wiring up the oem lit kick panels. The door has a control module and I have spare pin outs, plus I have the puddle lights in the retracting wing mirrors. 

I know some , including Ian passed the wires through the door grommets but that looks too tight for my patience/nerves. I will find the time & weather to reinvestigate soon I hope.  The OEM light units are a standard VW/AUdi part that can be had for about a £10. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have retrofitted genuine Porsche puddle lights - wired and coded into the door modules as per standard OEM factory fit.

My background is retrofitting lighting kits to VAG vehicles o OEM level and the 981 is similar so relativity straight forward. 

Also fitted footwell lighting as well.

The illuminated sill plates are wiring into the door module so they come on when the door is opened, quite a fiddly job as you have to go through the door jamb, usually takes about an hour on an Audi and will be similar on the Porsche, it will be my next retrofit when I can justify £700 on a pair of illuminated carbon door sill plates!

Screenshot-2021-12-02-at-21-21-35.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Robin_GTS said:

it will be my next retrofit when I can justify £700 on a pair of illuminated carbon door sill plates!

Where are you getting OEM carbon illuminated 981 sills for? Best I have been quoted is around £960 with discount. 

Care to share the wiring details for your puddle lights?

I had the OEM fitting kit for my sills and they run into the body control unit.  The pins for the connectors were still in an Audi bag.

1 hour ago, Patt said:

Care to share the wiring details for your puddle lights?

I had the OEM fitting kit for my sills and they run into the body control unit.  The pins for the connectors were still in an Audi bag.

The wiring for the puddle lights goes into the door control module in a specific pin which is dedicated for the puddle lights so that they switch off and on when you close and open the door. 

Wiring harness wise I made myself as its something that I do on a daily basis and the door controller will need coding to activate the pins.

The sill lights should be wired into the door module sharing the power with the door puddle lights as they need to go off and on with the door closing and opening.

On 6/30/2021 at 8:45 PM, Buzzfox said:

Thanks for the replies. I thought as much but the thought of ripping door cards off and fiddling with electrics fills me with dread and fear so I think I'll be leaving well alone!

Yep, I'm pretty much the same, so I'll be giving this mod a miss.  I fitted the Porsche logo puddle lights on my 987.1 Boxster, and they looks great, but it seems like the 981 is a lot more complex to retro fit them.  I remember it was a simple 10 minute job, even with my sausage fingers, simply pull them out of the door card and replace with a new one, sorted.

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

Yep, I'm pretty much the same, so I'll be giving this mod a miss.  I fitted the Porsche logo puddle lights on my 987.1 Boxster, and they looks great, but it seems like the 981 is a lot more complex to retro fit them.  I remember it was a simple 10 minute job, even with my sausage fingers, simply pull them out of the door card and replace with a new one, sorted.

Having taken off 100's of door cards off Audi's I have to say that the Porsche 981 door card is very straight forward and there are no dreaded clips to break, the 981 door cards have large hooks and are a breath of fresh air to remove and replace compared to Audi door cards.

• Thanks 1