Viewing this Red 2.5 manual tomorrow, anyone know it?

Freddie

Hi guys,

Very excited that this car as come up, seeing it tomorrow, it's exactly what I am after, anyone know anything about it?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/porsche/porsche-boxster-986-2.5petrol-manual-/1408686911

Pics to follow if I get it , it looks perfect but as the saying goes 'caveat emptor'!

Many thanks in advance

"if you can be bothered to view I can't be bothered deal with you"

That's nice of them 🤣 Hope they're more welcoming when you turn up. Good luck 👍

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I'd suggest the OP review the MOT History.

Aye, it's not exactly one to eat your dinner off.

I wonder what the story with the last 5 years was?

Cheers, Baggers.

40 minutes ago, 2001pt said:

"if you can be bothered to view I can't be bothered deal with you"

That's nice of them 🤣 Hope they're more welcoming when you turn up. Good luck 👍

I spoke with the chap last night and is nice enough, I think Eastern European accent, I think he's had to deal with a few 'characters' from what I could tell.

36 minutes ago, charlieboy2608 said:

The 'key information' does not match a Porsche 986 lol

Thanks, well spotted, I did see that and disregarded as a gumtree glitch! I have lots of detailed pics and it dpesn't look like a mini, lol!

11 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Aye, it's not exactly one to eat your dinner off.

I wonder what the story with the last 5 years was?

Cheers, Baggers.

19 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I'd suggest the OP review the MOT History.

Thanks guys, I did check and no, it's not a full clean bill of health so I'll be looking carefully, will take a paint depth gauge as well to get an idea of any differences across the panels.

Previous, previous owner had it for 17 years, kept in a garage apparently and during their time it had full dealer SH till 2008 at 85000 miles, then it seems usage dropped off till 2016 when it hardly moved - I can't seem to find out why. I have the PPO home address on the logbook and thought I might try and track him down, maybe that's a bit creepy?

to be fair, for that price it looks pretty good for its age.

Not seen that wheel design before - are they even Boxster wheels?  May just be the photos but the front tyres seem to be a taller side profile than the rears?  Check them out and factor into the price - check the tyre ages as well as if its sat for a while there is a good chance they will need changing, especially as the MOT highlights them

I would be tempted to go back to full gingers on the rear, you could probably sell those aftermarket units for more.

Looks like the wing back sports seats as well?

MPT History not too bad for a car of the age, all consumable stuff - the only one to look for is the oil leak - you don't really want a big seal job at that price

Suspect you could get a few quid for the number plate as well - as long as the condition stacks up on inspection and you can get for £4,500 or less in the current market, i'd say thats a nice deal

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

to be fair, for that price it looks pretty good for its age.

Not seen that wheel design before - are they even Boxster wheels?  May just be the photos but the front tyres seem to be a taller side profile than the rears?  Check them out and factor into the price - check the tyre ages as well as if its sat for a while there is a good chance they will need changing, especially as the MOT highlights them

I would be tempted to go back to full gingers on the rear, you could probably sell those aftermarket units for more.

Looks like the wing back sports seats as well?

MPT History not too bad for a car of the age, all consumable stuff - the only one to look for is the oil leak - you don't really want a big seal job at that price

Suspect you could get a few quid for the number plate as well - as long as the condition stacks up on inspection and you can get for £4,500 or less in the current market, i'd say thats a nice deal

Thank you, yep, they are sports seats, and the lights would defo go back to original if I buy, same on side repeaters. Wheels I have seen in brochures before but not on a car, I'd get turbo twists myself. 

Continentals on the front, date code indicates 2015 and that tallies with the MOT history, showed all 4 needing doing up to 2016 then there the MOT gap and only rears needing doing soon. I'll see what it looks like, I;ve seen loads of pics and videos, starts clean from cold, no AOS smoke and idles fine. Has a 'sports' exhaust of some sport but the original is included with the car. 

Oil leak is apparently almost nothing, staining, doesn't leave any driveway spots - I'll see tomorrow.

It and the owner sounds very genuine but the gap is bothering me more than anything, will see what I can find out.

Thank you Matt and everyone for chipping in, I really appreciate your insights.

1 minute ago, Freddie said:

Thank you, yep, they are sports seats, and the lights would defo go back to original if I buy, same on side repeaters. Wheels I have seen in brochures before but not on a car, I'd get turbo twists myself. 

Continentals on the front, date code indicates 2015 and that tallies with the MOT history, showed all 4 needing doing up to 2016 then there the MOT gap and only rears needing doing soon. I'll see what it looks like, I;ve seen loads of pics and videos, starts clean from cold, no AOS smoke and idles fine. Has a 'sports' exhaust of some sport but the original is included with the car. 

Oil leak is apparently almost nothing, staining, doesn't leave any driveway spots - I'll see tomorrow.

It and the owner sounds very genuine but the gap is bothering me more than anything, will see what I can find out.

Thank you Matt and everyone for chipping in, I really appreciate your insights.

good luck - the gap is annoying but at least the MOT backs up the mileage so unlikely its had anything too dodgy done to it.

End of the day, try and ignore the badge and treat it like any other 20 year old used car and do the usual checks 

if its looking good, try not to grin too much and keep a poker face with lots of air being sucked through the teeth about how much you'll need to spend on it to "get it right" - personally i'd start hard at £4k cash and see what sort of reaction you get - you can always go up

37 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

good luck - the gap is annoying but at least the MOT backs up the mileage so unlikely its had anything too dodgy done to it.

End of the day, try and ignore the badge and treat it like any other 20 year old used car and do the usual checks 

if its looking good, try not to grin too much and keep a poker face with lots of air being sucked through the teeth about how much you'll need to spend on it to "get it right" - personally i'd start hard at £4k cash and see what sort of reaction you get - you can always go up

Cheers bud,

He's playing hard ball, he said he'd turned an offer of 4500 down already but will negotiate to some extent - fine with me at near full asking price if it is what I want. He's not desperate to sell either.

Wheels are Dyno - OEM Porsche:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/64735-mystery-wheels.html

The mystery gap is that the 17 year owner had leukemia, was in his mid 70s, mystery solved, explains decreasing use of the car.

• Like 1

Non standard cup holders in the dash (from a VW group car?) and it also has titanium finish grilles in the front bumper from an S modes, so check out front end damage!!!  Not sure that gear nob is standard ether.  Rear vinyl window looks good though.  Looks like S or after market tail pipes so look out for exhaust drone.

1 minute ago, ½cwt said:

Non standard cup holders in the dash (from a VW group car?) and it also has titanium finish grilles in the front bumper from an S modes, so check out front end damage!!!  Not sure that gear nob is standard ether.  Rear vinyl window looks good though.  Looks like S or after market tail pipes so look out for exhaust drone.

Thanks, yes I have heard about the drone, standard one comes with the car. Just had a call from the seller, may not be on after all!

22 minutes ago, iborguk said:

@Freddie If you're looking at other cars , what's your budget and what are you looking for (car in ace condition or a project) ? Might help others help you 🙃

Thanks, my ideal is Guards Red, manual, will consider any engine as have enjoyed the nimbleness of the 2.5 and the grunt of the 3.2. I had a very good speed yellow s and ultimately the colour was not for me in the end! Takes all sorts, I know!

Definitely don't want a project as I have a 928 that is a project and a half. I don't mind a few niggles but needs good reliability. I don't want a show car either as I'd be frightened to use it and would be out of my price range anyway. Am thinking 6-7k or so might get me something decent? 

There's a 2.7 on gumtree that has 55K miles on it - doesn't look brilliantly well kept though as the interior has a few marks, say dealer fsh but MOT history not great. WOuld always prefer a forum car if I can.