I'm back baby!!

Daboy3000

Hi all.  Think it's been almost 10 years since I sold my first 986.  (stupidity, before you ask.)

A few years ago I was lucky enough to afford a 996 C2 for a bit, which was fantastic in a different way, but had to go to finance a house purchase.

This weekend I went to look at probably the cheapest running Boxster in the UK, which happened to be 5 mins away, well, I couldn't resist.  Needs some(lots) TLC but drove alright.

My old 986 2.5

4721978686_c153243359_c.jpg

My 996 C2 Cabriolet 3.4

30747221041_bde213d0ed_c.jpg

My new shed.

51396885566_d4920de0cf_c.jpg

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Welcome back - tell us more about the new stead? How much "TLC" does it actually need? :)

It's a 96 in Ocean Blue.  130k, no history or MOT.  Needs a good spit and polish. roof has stopped working, he thinks its the roof gears but I noticed the cables are loose on both sides, similar issue I had on my C2 cab, so hopefully easy to fix. Boot lid lacquer has cracked and it has a few minor dings and scratches. 

Car looks great underneath, no rust on arches etc, doesn't smell of coolant so hopefully that's ok. Tyres are odd but plenty of tread, breaks felt great.  I got it up to running temp then took it out for a thrash, steering feels a little tired as does the suspension, but only what i would expect.  Apart from that it drove nicely, bit weird being in a manual NA car, forgot how far thoses revs go up!

I'm going to let you guess the purchase price, see if I f*cked up or not.  It's being delivered tomorrow, it's like a valeters wet dream!!

Edited by Daboy3000

21 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

It's a 96 in Ocean Blue.  130k, no history or MOT.  Needs a good spit and polish. roof has stopped working, he thinks its the roof gears but I noticed the cables are loose on both sides, similar issue I had on my C2 cab, so hopefully easy to fix. Boot lid lacquer has cracked and it has a few minor dings and scratches. 

Car looks great underneath, no rust on arches etc, doesn't smell of coolant so hopefully that's ok. Tyres are odd but plenty of tread, breaks felt great.  I got it up to running temp then took it out for a thrash, steering feels a little tired as does the suspension, but only what i would expect.  Apart from that it drove nicely, bit weird being in a manual NA car, forgot how far thoses revs go up!

I'm going to let you guess the purchase price, see if I f*cked up or not.  It's being delivered tomorrow, it's like a valeters wet dream!!

sounds like a great project - hopefully all the jobs are fairly simple.

Prices are mental at the moment - i'll start with £2,500 seeing as its got no MOT or History - but probably way off

2 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

sounds like a great project - hopefully all the jobs are fairly simple.

Prices are mental at the moment - i'll start with £2,500 seeing as its got no MOT or History - but probably way off

Close.  £1500.  I think it's worth that even if it wasn't running.

1 minute ago, Daboy3000 said:

Close.  £1500.  I think it's worth that even if it wasn't running.

That is a STEAL! Even if it needs new tyres (£500 or so), some suspension work (probably coffin arms and not much else), you can even throw in a lacquer respray on the boot lid for a few pounds. As long as it is mechanically sound you're onto a winner. And yes, if you have to break it (shouldn't need to by the sounds of it) you'll be well ahead.

I saw a guy on a Facebook Boxster group who got his for $600 and all it needed was a new battery... In all honesty if I get hold of a bargain like that I'll buy another Boxster!

22 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

WOW - did you buy a lottery ticket at the same time? thats bargain of the century! congrats

I thought so.  The guy was really nice and a really car nut too, sometimes things are not too good to be true.

I got £50 worth of garden plants for £1 at wickes the day before, so maybe I really should do the lotto!

Welcome back.

Plenty of change for the suspension rebuild, new tyres (about 2k in parts and tyres alone there...) and some body work and essential repairs. but even that gives you hopefully a decent car for under £4k.

1 hour ago, Scubaregs said:

Welcome back. You should search @Davey P's post to see what can be done with a Boxster and a budget.

Granted Davey's budget was that of a small developed nation but.........😇

The Cayman is proving to be a lot cheaper to run than my old Boxster... then again, a bloody Jumbo Jet would probably be cheaper to run as well..... :lol:

• Haha 1

Could an admin point me in the direction of my build thread from 10 years ago? For some reason I can't search for my old threads. I'm hoping it will be a gold mine of mistakes not to make this time. 

It's going to get mot'd next month but I won't use it till next summer, in that time I can mess about with it, see what I can fix and what I will have to save for. 

8 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Was it registered in 1996? That must make it one of the first in the UK and fairly rare I'd have thought

1 minute ago, jonogt6 said:

Was it registered in 1996? That must make it one of the first in the UK and fairly rare I'd have thought

Yeah, December. Is that a good thing? 

No IMS or bore scoring issues with the 2.5 if I remember correctly? 

3 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Yeah, December. Is that a good thing? 

No IMS or bore scoring issues with the 2.5 if I remember correctly? 

Dunno if it's good or bad tbh. Nice that it's a launch car though...can't have been more than a handful of Boxsters on the road back then.