TYRES OK ?

Milojack

Had to have a puncture repair on a rear tyre today. Fitter said that the tyres were looking old !. My car is a 2005s with 9k on the clock so take it they will be the originals , plenty tread on all . Will they be ok or should I change them all ?

2005 originals !!!! 🤣

well past there best no matter how little mileage 😁

To post an actual useful piece of info for you, hope this helps….

How long does a tyre last?

There are no hard and fast rules on this, with some manufacturers recommending you replace tyres after 6 years, regardless of the tread. Others claim a tyre can have a 10 year lifespan, but will need checking after 5 years. Heat, storage and daily usage can all affect the ageing pattern of your tyres. For example, a spare tyre that has been kept in the vehicle may be exposed to heat and dirt in a way that a tyre kept in a garage is not. 

Signs of ageing

Your tyres will usually wear out before they show signs of ageing. However, if you drive less than the UK average of 8,000 miles a year, then your tyres may become unsafe as they sit in the garage. Tyres can naturally degrade with exposure to UV rays and rain. Ageing damage is more common with vehicles like caravans and trailers that are only used infrequently.
To determine whether your tyres have suffered ageing damage:
- Check the sidewalls for signs of cracking and crazing, especially if your tyres are 4 to 5 years old and the car is normally kept outside
- Check for deformation of the tread, as this can indicate ageing
- Book a free tyre check with Protyre
Just because you've done the 20p test and your car tyres have plenty of tread, doesn't mean that they haven't suffered age related damage. Visually inspect your tyres once a month.

How do I know how old my tyres are?

All the information you need to find out the age of your tyres is located on the tyre sidewall. Look for the letters DOT then a number code. This production code will tell you the age of your car tyre: the first pair of numbers are the week of manufacture and the second pair are the year.

Example: 2314 = 23rd week of 2014

- Tyres manufactured after 2000 have a 4 digit code
- Tyres manufactured before 2000 have a 3 digit code and should be replaced immediately
- If your tyres are more than 5 years old, consider replacing them

Edited by r1flyguy
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Milojack said:

Had to have a puncture repair on a rear tyre today. Fitter said that the tyres were looking old !. My car is a 2005s with 9k on the clock so take it they will be the originals , plenty tread on all . Will they be ok or should I change them all ?

Only 9,000 miles in 17 yrs - Wow.

Definitely replace those tyres. Once a technician raises the question, you won't feel safe until you buy new ones.

Check the date stamp. If original, change them pronto! They will have gone hard  

Changed mine at 10-11 years old, still with 4-5mm tread. Way better grip and no more Ackerman scrubbing on tight corners. 

well, i guess a tyre can look old (micro cracks, worn tread, faded rubber) without actually being old... and a well stored tyre can possibly be old without looking old.

but either way, if a tyre is actually old, it should probably be replaced, even if it doesnt look old!

Just checked tyres, 4 digits 1505 so looking like about April 2005 !!,, car drives fantastic and handles like on rails but after it’s had the old ppf removed and been ceramic coated , new Michelin tyres going on.

cheers for info, but why oh why No wheelbrace?. Also will the tyre sealant still be ok ?

55 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

Seriously, you have 15 year old summer tyres as winter approaches, but you will prioritise ceramic coating over replacing them?

Yup, seeing as it’s booked in for this afternoon for a 4 day process and the tyres I’ve just ordered won’t be here until Monday, if that’s ok ?,

Car then going into its carcoon until decent weather.

No spare, wheelbrace or jack as normally you will have nowhere to store the punctured wheel when you take it off. (Abnormally you can rig something up.)

You could offer those tyres to the Porsche museum :D 

21 minutes ago, Milojack said:

Yup, seeing as it’s booked in for this afternoon for a 4 day process and the tyres I’ve just ordered won’t be here until Monday, if that’s ok ?,

Car then going into its carcoon until decent weather.

Agree with the others that you need to change those tyres, surprised they haven’t been advisories on the MOT before.

but if you are going to wrap it up for winter and not use it at all, why change the tyres now? Do it as the first job when it comes back out otherwise it’s sitting on them for 6mths without any movement (unless you jack it up will in storage?)

probably doesn’t make a huge difference, but seems a bit daft putting on fresh new rubber and then not using it 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

Agree with the others that you need to change those tyres, surprised they haven’t been advisories on the MOT before.

but if you are going to wrap it up for winter and not use it at all, why change the tyres now? Do it as the first job when it comes back out otherwise it’s sitting on them for 6mths without any movement (unless you jack it up will in storage?)

probably doesn’t make a huge difference, but seems a bit daft putting on fresh new rubber and then not using it 

It will be used when weather is ok, don’t really drive it in bad weather because I love driving it with the roof down 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

No spare, wheelbrace or jack as normally you will have nowhere to store the punctured wheel when you take it off. (Abnormally you can rig something up.)

You could offer those tyres to the Porsche museum :D 

Noticed a screw in the tyre at home so thought I would take it off and have a drive to local tyre place in my mini but had to get tools out of my shed to Jack up and remove wheel, mini has run flat tyres too so nothing in there either!!.

1 hour ago, Milojack said:

It will be used when weather is ok, don’t really drive it in bad weather because I love driving it with the roof down 

I dared to use mine in the wet yesterday , will probably get me a forum ban 😱

+1 on going for Michelins

Edited by iborguk
Apostrophe Police
  • Haha 2