New 718 S - sold 981 S

Stark9

Hey everyone. Was on here a few years ago when I got my 981 S and went on a couple of meets. 130K miles later it was time to sell up with what must have been the highest mileage one around but I loved it.

Now have a 718 S and yes I love it too!! Will post some pics soon 

1 hour ago, Stark9 said:

I lived up between Nottingham and London so travelled a lot. My PDK went on it 2 years ago and thankfully added warranty onto it just as it went and the £12K replacement was taken care of!! 

Thats some miles. Be interested to hear about what went wrong with the PDK and if it gave you any warning, I guess it might have given you got a warranty added at the right time?

Also any other faults you had over the time that might be worth noting for us that are thinking of keeping long term?

• Like 1

Thankfully not a single other problem. The headlights get a lot of rash on them and they cost £1500 plus a pair which is crazy!! Otherwise had the bumper sprayed every year and it looked great. My diamond cut alloys got corrosion eventually too so bad so got them sprayed 

Just now, Stark9 said:

I will admit I managed to get the warranty added when I knew potentially there was a problem with my gearbox!! It was intermittent and it passed the 111 point check and one month later I called breakdown and 2 weeks later a replacement gearbox!! 

Nice result. What were the symptoms to the problem and have they told you what the fault was?

It sometimes wouldn’t move in gear or change up. But then sometimes once I restarted it was fine. The dealer said PDK’s are never repaired just exchanged. £12K was a lot!! Always had it serviced with OEM parts and everything kept in top condition 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stark9 said:

Folk tell me how to paste pics again after all these years!! 

Use imgur or similar to host. With imgur upload your pic, then click on the blue "COPY" box next to "Direct link" which will copy the link, come to your post here and paste the copied link.

EElsx5V.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks - never thought I could say goodbye to my 981 S but it had to be done. Being quite a perfectionist I would have ended up getting the whole car resprayed and buying new alloys etc. Better to put it into another car and I’m so pleased I did. Getting over the loss of the 6 pretty easily.

Pleased at seeing how having the smaller tank and still getting same miles as my 981 with the bigger tank just shows how fuel consumption is better on the 718