2013 981 satnav maps

Stuno1

And the successful update message  on your history screen is identical to mine, @Buzzfox, so it definitely seems to have worked properly, even if with a few hiccups. I guess the DVD drive jamming could be because the drives often don't get a lot of use on modern cars - I tried a CD in mine just before I did the update, and I'm fairly sure it would have been the first time it had ever had a disc in it, as I always use a USB stick and the Jukebox. And I assume your update discs were (or at least appear to be) the genuine Porsche discs, like mine, so it shouldn't be a problem with those (I think the EBay seller of upgrades a few years ago was sending out copies the updates on DVD-Rs rather than original discs). Anyway, glad you were able to get it sorted, but it must have been a bit of a worry!

On 5/30/2022 at 8:57 PM, Jon61 said:

And the successful update message  on your history screen is identical to mine, @Buzzfox, so it definitely seems to have worked properly, even if with a few hiccups. I guess the DVD drive jamming could be because the drives often don't get a lot of use on modern cars - I tried a CD in mine just before I did the update, and I'm fairly sure it would have been the first time it had ever had a disc in it, as I always use a USB stick and the Jukebox. And I assume your update discs were (or at least appear to be) the genuine Porsche discs, like mine, so it shouldn't be a problem with those (I think the EBay seller of upgrades a few years ago was sending out copies the updates on DVD-Rs rather than original discs). Anyway, glad you were able to get it sorted, but it must have been a bit of a worry!

Yes, it does seem to have updated ok. I was just a bit sceptical because I didn't seem to experience the long loading time of the maps after the update or the initial incorrect GPS position of the car that others have mentioned and that I had when I updated from the eBay guy a few years ago. Then of course when I went back to the car later after the disc jam it asked if I wanted to update to 6.7.1 again! I guess it just started reading the disc again which prompted the question, maybe if I'd said 'yes' it would have come back with something like '6.7.1 already installed' - who knows?!

As for the jamming I'm really not sure. I always have had a CD in there although like you I rarely play it, I use the radio or bluetooth mostly. When disc 5 eventually came out it did have a bit of a scuff on the edge so it had had a hard time in there! I've loaded and ejected the CD several times since and it seems fine now so who knows?

'A bit of a worry' is a bit of an understatement really, I know these units aren't cheap. The car is under warranty but I thought once they find out what's jammed in there I don't think they'll be overly keen to honour the warranty!

10 hours ago, Buzzfox said:

I know these units aren't cheap. The car is under warranty but I thought once they find out what's jammed in there I don't think they'll be overly keen to honour the warranty!

Glad you sorted it. As I had never used the DVD drive in my car that's exactly why I tested it with a music CD before loading the map DVDs, just to check that there was nothing mechanically wrong with it. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 3:52 PM, BrianJ said:

Many thanks for posting. Web site doesn't mention doing maps which is strange. Wonder why. Might try them next time a  map update is released.

I emailed them and they got back to me pretty quickly confirming they did the maps.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

Someone just sent me this link, which seems like a relatively reasonable solution for updating the maps:
https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/porsche-pcm31-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2022-846-p.asp

I see the disclaimer about the about the zoom bug is gone, wonder has it been fixed. 

On 4/12/2022 at 2:32 PM, Richard Hamilton said:

Someone just sent me this link, which seems like a relatively reasonable solution for updating the maps:
https://www.satnavishop.co.uk/porsche-pcm31-sat-nav-map-update-europe-2022-846-p.asp

46 minutes ago, kharma45 said:

I see the disclaimer about the about the zoom bug is gone, wonder has it been fixed. 

I know someone who did it last week on his 981 with 3.43 software, using those maps, and has the zoom issue.

• Thanks 2

This is ripe for an update isn’t it?

6-CF2-F169-0-A21-467-E-9-FDE-68-AA46-B43

9738-CC83-2-C1-E-4-A4-C-B7-A8-580828-EC3

Must admit, after Porsche having the car for a day to renew the software (because they couldn’t reset the service light) I’m sort of reluctant but as the warranty runs out in November there’s time for it to be sorted I’d hope.

Unless of course this map update could be detected and Porsche invalidate the warranty? 😬

Yes, ripe for update based on map content in that area. No Porsche Centre I have asked has ever had a clue about which maps were installed if and when any map updates had been done. Both who attempted it made a dogs breakfast of it anyway, for entirely different reasons. Having done it myself (see above) that’s the way I will go in future. I suspect the only way an OPC could tell is if the PCM failed with a map update disc stuck in it!

Edited by BrianJ
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, BrianJ said:

Yes, ripe for update based on map content in that area. No Porsche Centre I have asked has ever had a clue about which maps were installed if and when any map updates had been done. Both who attempted it made a dogs breakfast of it anyway, for entirely different reasons. Having done it myself (see above) that’s the way I will go in future. I suspect the only way an OPC could tell is if the PCM failed with a map update disc stuck in it!

Cheers, I'll get mine done then I reckon.  Will help out with some more planned road trips.

6 hours ago, moospeed said:

Cheers, I'll get mine done then I reckon.  Will help out with some more planned road trips.

So you prefer Porsche over Google maps, Apple maps, ways etc then?

6 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

I think both have PCM and non-PCM Nav have their place.

PCM for if ever "offline" and also for the waypoint navigation in the "third dial".

That said CarPlay with Waze is becoming more the "goto" for me, given the "realtime" traffic/alert updates. 

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I think both have PCM and non-PCM Nav have their place.

PCM for if ever "offline" and also for the waypoint navigation in the "third dial".

That said CarPlay with Waze is becoming more the "goto" for me.

I keep thinking about doing the update but the route options are not as good as Google, Apple etc. Also, me and my mate have pre planned routes we share on Google maps so everyone has the same route incase we lose folk etc. 

Just now, Stuno1 said:

I keep thinking about doing the update but the route options are not as good as Google, Apple etc. Also, me and my mate have pre planned routes we share on Google maps so everyone has the same route incase we lose folk etc. 

I actually found the routing on Waze a bit nonsense sometimes and the PCM sometimes better. YMMV, pick your "weapon". I get the route sharing use case re Google. Others use the Porsche Roads app and .GPX file imports.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, iborguk said:

I actually found the routing on Waze a bit nonsense sometimes and the PCM sometimes better. YMMV, pick your "weapon". I get the route sharing use case re Google. Others use the Porsche Roads app and .GPX file imports.

Done a bit of "how to follow a route" for local clubs - comes down to iphone Porsche roads app ( as mentioned) - a long way from perfect, but works, or a dedicated ( 50 quid from ebay) Garmin or the TomTom Go app - lets you import a gpx and follow it.

I agree on Waze - brilliant app, love the crowd sourced traffic, hazard etc. but hate the "white van " routing - leave the dual carriageway - carve across 3 lanes, rejoin the same road to save 8.6 seconds.... , now do a uturn, down an alleyway, back on road - saved a minute 20 on a 6 hr journey....

On 7/27/2022 at 8:51 PM, Stuno1 said:

I don't want to fiddle about with the PCM's innards due to the warranty, and I find it aesthetically disturbing having any phone mounts, non-standard dashboard adornments, Feu Oranges or Magic Trees cluttering up the car.

I do all my planning on google maps and then pre-program POI's into the Porsche satnav.  I'm not saying the Porsche nav is good, it has made some questionable decisions but generally I like to have a lay of the land in my brain before I set off.

Very many years ago I was a field service engineer - a typical day as a gullible 19 year old was to be sent to a factory in Leeds, the next call would be Portsmouth, and then over to Bath before heading home to Kent.  They took the pee and eventually I had to give it up.

This was long before commercially available satnav, or mobile phones for that matter.  It's a wonder I managed to find these places when all I was given was an address but find them I did.  And three decades later I could get in my car now and drive to the exact same places again without any map or aid.   Ask me to find somewhere I've followed the satnav to though and most likely wouldn't have a clue.

4 minutes ago, moospeed said:

I don't want to fiddle about with the PCM's innards due to the warranty, and I find it aesthetically disturbing having any phone mounts, non-standard dashboard adornments, Feu Oranges or Magic Trees cluttering up the car.

I do all my planning on google maps and then pre-program POI's into the Porsche satnav.  I'm not saying the Porsche nav is good, it has made some questionable decisions but generally I like to have a lay of the land in my brain before I set off.

Very many years ago I was a field service engineer - a typical day as a gullible 19 year old was to be sent to a factory in Leeds, the next call would be Portsmouth, and then over to Bath before heading home to Kent.  They took the pee and eventually I had to give it up.

This was long before commercially available satnav, or mobile phones for that matter.  It's a wonder I managed to find these places when all I was given was an address but find them I did.  And three decades later I could get in my car now and drive to the exact same places again without any map or aid.   Ask me to find somewhere I've followed the satnav to though and most likely wouldn't have a clue.

I don't think PCM is terrible (experienced 3.0 and 4.0) and in some ways it's route finding is better than say Waze.

CarPlay kinda knocks it out the park re the experience although an up to date PCM makes a good offline backup.

• 10 months later...

I'd just like to thank everyone for their input on this thread as it's helped me, and to add my experience with our recently purchased 2013 S that I updated this morning (no updates since new).  Strictly speaking it's my husbands' car, but I'm the tech savvy one hence my job to sort.

I did the update with the engine running, as that is what the instructions said to do, and if anything went wrong it wouldn't be due to me not following the instructions.

The only issue I had was with the firmware disc.  The process appeared to be almost completed when I got a 'System update aborted due to an error Error code 3015 Error text Security check failed' with a confirm button which I pressed and I think the system rebooted.  

Decided to give it another go with exactly the same result, so I went down the 'hopefully third time lucky' route and tried again, and an emergency update screen came up, similar to the one Greenman had, which seemed to progress OK. The system rebooted again and went through updating 5 modules, rebooted and then the message appeared saying the firmware had been updated.  The rest of the process with the 3 USB's went fine and the message appeared that the maps had been updated.  I can only guess that the age and lack of use of the DVD player caused the initial issues.  

• Like 1