2013 981 satnav maps

Stuno1

17 minutes ago, BrianJ said:

Possibly, or possibly not. My 2013 car did not have a history tab, even though it was on software V4.76. So even though the maps had been upgraded, there was nowhere anybody could look to find what version was installed. My 2016 car does have a history tab.

Did you own the 2013 car from new ? If not perhaps the PCM had been swapped out under warranty at some point.

I've just done a bit of investigating on mine - a MY2016 which has never had the maps updated, or any work on the PCM.

It's PCM3.1, system V4.75, but although I can look at the 'Current System' IDs, the 'History' tab just shows "No version history available", so I can't see what maps are installed (although they'll clearly be the ones it left the factory with).

With a CTEK connected under the bonnet, the PCM switches off after 10 minutes in mine with the ignition off. I thought perhaps putting the key in the ignition (but not turning the ignition on) might make a difference, but it still switches off after 10 minutes. I don't think opening and closing the doors reset the timer either, so it looks like I'm going to have to keep the engine running to do the update - unless I try leaving the ignition on, switch off the aircon and as many lights as I can, and monitor the battery voltage to see if the CTEK can balance the ignition-on current drain.

29 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

I've just done a bit of investigating on mine - a MY2016 which has never had the maps updated, or any work on the PCM.

It's PCM3.1, system V4.75, but although I can look at the 'Current System' IDs, the 'History' tab just shows "No version history available", so I can't see what maps are installed (although they'll clearly be the ones it left the factory with).

With a CTEK connected under the bonnet, the PCM switches off after 10 minutes in mine with the ignition off. I thought perhaps putting the key in the ignition (but not turning the ignition on) might make a difference, but it still switches off after 10 minutes. I don't think opening and closing the doors reset the timer either, so it looks like I'm going to have to keep the engine running to do the update - unless I try leaving the ignition on, switch off the aircon and as many lights as I can, and monitor the battery voltage to see if the CTEK can balance the ignition-on current drain.

I’m pretty sure that’s how I did it a few years ago when I bought the discs off the eBay guy. I think I had a battery charger on the battery +ive and chassis -ive (wasn’t even a CTEK) and left the ignition on. I definitely didn’t have the engine running and all went ok.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, iborguk said:

Did you own the 2013 car from new ? If not perhaps the PCM had been swapped out under warranty at some point.

No, it was about 4 months old when I bought it (previously registered personally to a Porsche manager). The other thing it didn't have was the option to view battery voltage on the display - that just wasn't in the list of data available unlike the 2016 car. I just think the software build on some earlier cars was different! 

I’ve just been experimenting with mine a 2015.

I connected ctek under the bonnet. 

Openned door, inserted a CD and started playing it, no key in ignition, door ajar, PCM shut down after a little over 10 mins.

inserted key, turned ignition to second position,  started playing CD, door ajar PCM shut down after approx 30 mins.

inserted key, turned ignition to second position,  started playing CD, door ajar,  after 20 minutes turned key to position 1 (did not remove key), CD continued playing, turned key back to position 2. Repeated last operation another twice.  Well over an hour of continuous CD playback observed.

So…. When my disks arrive…hopefully in the day or two, I will try installing using power management as per the last paragraph above.

I haven't ever had a problem by connecting a decent size charger direct to the battery, switching on the ignition, and running the update.  That's what the technical bulletin says to do, and it has always worked for me.  Various devices on the car shut down after random periods, but the PCM stays active while the maps are loading. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks Richard, good to know. The new maps seem pretty good for accuracy, except about 2 mins from my home where I am now supposed to divert off the A6 onto a lane that has been blocked off with bollards for decades, then over a pavement and up a one-way street in the wrong direction! As that route wasn’t featured on the 2016 or 2018 maps, progress isn’t always in the right direction…..

5 hours ago, ov40 said:

I am also thinking of this upgrade, just checked my PCM 3.1 system V3.4 so, am I right in thinking, don't change as I will have the problem with zooming the map.

V3.x is the 1st Gen PCM3.1, and you are very likely to have the zoom issue.

41 minutes ago, Richard Hamilton said:

V3.x is the 1st Gen PCM3.1, and you are very likely to have the zoom issue.

Wouldn’t the software disc that ships with the map discs upgrade it to 4.76 and therefore eliminate that problem or have I misunderstood what that disc does?

7 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

Wouldn’t the software disc that ships with the map discs upgrade it to 4.76 and therefore eliminate that problem or have I misunderstood what that disc does?

Richard posted in the other (older) satnav thread that (as of 2020 at least), V3.xx PCMs can only be updated as far as 3.43 - you need something originating as V4 to be able to upgrade up to 4.76. (Though the zoom thing does sound like a bug that should have been fixed - but I assume the official OPC 'fix' for it, is not to upgrade a V3 unit!)

I've taken the plunge and ordered from David - I'll probably be doing my upgrade just after @Greenman by the sound of it. I nearly upgraded when the EBay/Lukas discussion took place on here in 2019. Compared to that, the cost has gone up £30, but considering how little I used the car in 2020 & 2021, in retrospect I don't think I'd have got my money's worth from the 2018 maps, so I'm glad I procrastinated. :)

So I’ve updated my system to 4.76 software and 6.7.1 maps using the above shop….however I had a few issues…..

- package included disks and USB stick but no instructions. I emailed the shop and got a response back within 1/2 hr with basic instructions that pretty much mirrored the procedure as described by BrianJ above.

- The software disc ejected after about 10 mins (I assumed it has finished). I inserted USB stick but just got following screen.

558956-B9-38-EC-4-B05-A2-DB-596807-B82-E

It seemed to me as though it was still trying to do the software update, so I reinserted software disk and it did in fact continue with the software update (module and version number on above screen kept changing and progress bar increased.  When completed it said software successfully updated on the above screen but did not eject disk, I waited a few mins, no change, I ejected disk manually, PCM said “aborted software update”  but seemed to work ok.

I then inserted usb drive in the usb slot and waited, got message something like “can’t play file” but no other feedback (thinking it’s all gone belly up at this point),  waited a couple of mins, took out usb drive and rebooted PCM ( press info for 10 secs). pCM rebooted no messages.  Inserted map disk 1, initially said can’t play disk, but after a few seconds seemed to start reading it and came up with disk 1 of 5.   After that it proceeded as expected with each disk and seemed to complete successfully. I had the same issues as BrianJ in taking a while for maps to load and then being in the middle of some foreign country initially.

Ultimately it looks like everything has worked. I’m now on 4.76 and 6.7.1, though I haven’t managed to check any new roads as yet.  So be aware you don’t necessary get any nice prompts on progress and the software disk might in fact eject before it’s finished.

This is the PCM3.x version history:

Hardware versions:

PCM 3.0 was launched in 2009 for Sports-cars and Cayenne.
During 2011 MY, version 2 was released for Sports-cars with improvements in mapping, navigation, and internal hardware.

PCM 3.1 was launched in 2010 for Panamera including new features such as a new display, 3D Navigation, mapping in the Instrument Cluster, Bluetooth® Audio streaming, and the Burmester Surround Sound system.
During 2010 MY, version 2 was released for Panamera including a revised iPod® / Multimedia interface.
During 2012 MY, version 3 was released for all variants including improved hardware, Start Screen support, and HD Radio®.
During 2013 MY, version 4 was released for all variants including new features such as Aha Radio (Online Services), Jukebox, and Email / Text.

Software Versions:

PCM 3.0 Software Level 1.X - Hardware Version 1 - 2009-2011
PCM 3.0 Software Level 2.X - Hardware Version 2 - 2011-2013
PCM 3.1 Software Level 1.X - Hardware Version 1 - 2010
PCM 3.1 Software Level 2.X - Hardware Version 2 - 2010-2012
PCM 3.1 Software Level 3.X - Hardware Version 3 - 2012-2013
PCM 3.1 Software Level 4.X - Hardware Version 4 - 2013-

That was taken from a Porsche bulletin.  However, I have never seen a PCM3.0 with software version 1.x in a sports car.  All those I have seen are V2.x.  I have seen V1.x in a Cayenne though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Richard Hamilton said:

This is the PCM3.x version history:

Hardware versions:

PCM 3.0 was launched in 2009 for Sports-cars and Cayenne.
During 2011 MY, version 2 was released for Sports-cars with improvements in mapping, navigation, and internal hardware.

PCM 3.1 was launched in 2010 for Panamera including new features such as a new display, 3D Navigation, mapping in the Instrument Cluster, Bluetooth® Audio streaming, and the Burmester Surround Sound system.
During 2010 MY, version 2 was released for Panamera including a revised iPod® / Multimedia interface.
During 2012 MY, version 3 was released for all variants including improved hardware, Start Screen support, and HD Radio®.
During 2013 MY, version 4 was released for all variants including new features such as Aha Radio (Online Services), Jukebox, and Email / Text.

Software Versions:

PCM 3.0 Software Level 1.X - Hardware Version 1 - 2009-2011
PCM 3.0 Software Level 2.X - Hardware Version 2 - 2011-2013
PCM 3.1 Software Level 1.X - Hardware Version 1 - 2010
PCM 3.1 Software Level 2.X - Hardware Version 2 - 2010-2012
PCM 3.1 Software Level 3.X - Hardware Version 3 - 2012-2013
PCM 3.1 Software Level 4.X - Hardware Version 4 - 2013-

That was taken from a Porsche bulletin.  However, I have never seen a PCM3.0 with software version 1.x in a sports car.  All those I have seen are V2.x.  I have seen V1.x in a Cayenne though.

Interesting.  Also the pcm 3.0 in the cayenne has features that are not available in the pcm 3.0 for sports cars.  Bluetooth aux for one…..

and before this current round of car play retro fit units for pcm 3 it was only possible for the cayenne version of the 3.0. 

i just want pccm plus for 987.2 for Christmas please - and I want it to retain the integration for sports chronos, individual memory, Trip computers and the dashboard integration.  

oh and use the same aerial for dab 

and retain the steering wheel  controls. 

and use the built in mics.  

and I would also like a pony. 

I get the impression from discussion with OPCs that Greenman's experience is similar to what often happens in OPCs too. But because they go away to do something else when the process is running, they frequently don't recognise when something doesn't work properly. Which is possibly why I was told my map update had been done when in fact it hadn't completed correctly and appeared to have reverted to the previous version. 

20 hours ago, Greenman said:

So I’ve updated my system to 4.76 software and 6.7.1 maps using the above shop….however I had a few issues…..

- package included disks and USB stick but no instructions. I emailed the shop and got a response back within 1/2 hr with basic instructions that pretty much mirrored the procedure as described by BrianJ above.

- The software disc ejected after about 10 mins (I assumed it has finished). I inserted USB stick but just got following screen.

558956-B9-38-EC-4-B05-A2-DB-596807-B82-E

It seemed to me as though it was still trying to do the software update, so I reinserted software disk and it did in fact continue with the software update (module and version number on above screen kept changing and progress bar increased.  When completed it said software successfully updated on the above screen but did not eject disk, I waited a few mins, no change, I ejected disk manually, PCM said “aborted software update”  but seemed to work ok.

I then inserted usb drive in the usb slot and waited, got message something like “can’t play file” but no other feedback (thinking it’s all gone belly up at this point),  waited a couple of mins, took out usb drive and rebooted PCM ( press info for 10 secs). pCM rebooted no messages.  Inserted map disk 1, initially said can’t play disk, but after a few seconds seemed to start reading it and came up with disk 1 of 5.   After that it proceeded as expected with each disk and seemed to complete successfully. I had the same issues as BrianJ in taking a while for maps to load and then being in the middle of some foreign country initially.

Ultimately it looks like everything has worked. I’m now on 4.76 and 6.7.1, though I haven’t managed to check any new roads as yet.  So be aware you don’t necessary get any nice prompts on progress and the software disk might in fact eject before it’s finished.

Glad it turned ok @Greenman
I think you said earlier that you were on software version 4.76 to start with so I was curious as to why you you used the software update disc and didn’t just go straight to the usb plug in and map disc installation?

37 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

think you said earlier that you were on software version 4.76 to start

I did indeed say that, however I was mistaken, I was actually on 4.75, so was worthwhile doing the 4.76 update.  I remembered that when I did this back in 2019 that my version was ahead of the version shipped at that time by the eBay seller, he shipped 4.73. So back then I didn’t do the sw update.

I’ve got to say I’m unsure what step actually allows the map update disks to be used, I assume it’s the insertion of the usb drive which must do something, however given there is no visual acknowledgement or feedback when you do this it’s difficult to say.  But it was certainly possible to do the map updates without the sw update previously so I assume the same would apply now.

I think they encode the cars VIN and and some software key into the USB that allows the maps to load. They have to buy the sw key from Porsche, that’s why they can’t just ship these out at £20 or £30.  This would imply that the PCM software version can be updated just with the DVD and no sw key? Certainly looks like that to me.  

Edited by Greenman

4 hours ago, Greenman said:

I did indeed say that, however I was mistaken, I was actually on 4.75, so was worthwhile doing the 4.76 update.  I remembered that when I did this back in 2019 that my version was ahead of the version shipped at that time by the eBay seller, he shipped 4.73. So back then I didn’t do the sw update.

I’ve got to say I’m unsure what step actually allows the map update disks to be used, I assume it’s the insertion of the usb drive which must do something, however given there is no visual acknowledgement or feedback when you do this it’s difficult to say.  But it was certainly possible to do the map updates without the sw update previously so I assume the same would apply now.

I think they encode the cars VIN and and some software key into the USB that allows the maps to load. They have to buy the sw key from Porsche, that’s why they can’t just ship these out at £20 or £30.  This would imply that the PCM software version can be updated just with the DVD and no sw key? Certainly looks like that to me.  

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for clearing that up.

So nobody on here has done this map update without using the software disc yet?

Am I brave enough to try?????

6 minutes ago, Buzzfox said:

So nobody on here has done this map update without using the software disc yet?

Am I brave enough to try?????

CM-613CWEAIn65b?format=jpg&name=small

5 hours ago, Greenman said:

I doubt very much they buy the software key from Porsche.  Porsche charge about £118+VAT for the code.  I suspect they have their own key generator, or have an arrangement with the Lithuanian/Russian code providers.  The map disks themselves are relatively cheap at £42+VAT, so may well be genuine.

I think the USB stick contains a script which enters the Activation Code for the new maps into the PCM in place of doing it with PIWIS.  I suspect that if you don't enter the code, the maps won't load.

Well I emailed these guys and asked if I'd need to use the software disc as my version is already at 4.76.

I got a very quick response saying no, only the USB activation and map discs would be needed so I've now placed the order with them. I'll let know how it all goes when I get them.

I did my update yesterday, and it all went very smoothly.

I ordered online late Tuesday afternoon, having already taken a photo of my 'System version' screen on the PCM, and my VIN on the windscreen. David emailed about an hour later asking for these, and for confirmation that I had a USB socket. After sending these back, I got a 'Thank you' email from him. 🙂 The update package arrived, signed-for post, on Friday. As other people have found - no instructions included (why on earth - surely it would be easier to include them or email them for everyone??) but I didn't bother asking for them and just used what had been posted on here previously - particularly by @BrianJ and @Greenman (thanks both :thumbsup_still:).

I put a GoPro in the car pointing at the PCM and recording video while the update progressed - I thought it might be useful to refer back to if anything went wrong - I'd be able to see if any messages had appeared that I'd missed while I wasn't at the car. As it happens I didn't need it, but it does enable me to see what it was doing while I wasn't watching.

I'd meant to put the ignition on (supported by a CTEK connected under the bonnet) but forgot about the ignition until I'd already put the software disc in, and at that stage I didn't want to do anything that might interrupt the software update (V4.75 to V4.76 on mine), as it had warned with an on-screen message, so I just left it to do its thing. The software update took nearly 16 mins, but although normally my PCM would switch off after 10 mins in those circumstances, it stayed on throughout, so it seems that the update process kept the PCM awake. A message on-screen shows the progress; it updates 4 modules, but in a strange order: it seems to very briefly show 'Update of Module 4 of 4', switch immediately to 3, then 2 then 1, then do 2, 3 & 4 again before it finishes. Right at the end it said 'Restarting system' and the screen went off ... and then did nothing - it didn't come back on automatically. I suspect this was because the ignition was off - as more than 10 mins had gone by, the PCM shut itself down as soon as it wasn't busy any longer. Putting the key in the ignition woke the PCM up again at one of the 'normal' screens, although it seemed unresponsive to any buttons or knobs for about 30 seconds until (of its own accord) it showed a message saying 'Medium not playable' (ie it took a while to really wake up and check the disc in the slot - I hadn't noticed this message when I first put the disc in), then a few seconds later it showed an 'Update' tab with the message "System successfully updated to version PCM31MOPF_V476_RDW.

After Greenman's experience with a failed software update, I'd considered putting the software disc in again at this point (on the grounds that it probably wouldn't bother doing the update again if it really was now on V4.76, but would finish the update if it hadn't completed successfully the first time). But the message above seemed to show that the update had worked, and before I did the next steps I also checked the 'System version' screen again to check it was now showing V4.76 as expected.

With the ignition now on, I then did the next steps, starting with the USB stick (4GB, but with just one 22kB file copie_scr.sh on it). Plugging that in gives a 'No valid music data found' message for a few seconds but oddly nothing else to indicate that it's doing anything. I waited at least 2 minutes before removing it, then kept the INFO button down for 10 seconds to restart the PCM (a feature not mentioned in the manual, I think). Then the map DVDs in order - with the first one you get another warning not to interrupt the update process, then a screen asking you to confirm that you want to update to version 6.7.1, then briefly an empty progress bar, but then the PCM restarted itself again, put up the usual 'Don't be an idiot if the Satnav tells you to do something stupid' message, requiring a 'Confirm' press, then it showed 'Loading Navi' on an ordinary PCM screen for a slightly disconcerting 45 seconds before going back to the progress bar and proceding with the update.

From there, Nav disc 1 took less than 9 minutes to finish - the progress bar shot up rapidly from about 40% to 100% just before it decided it had finished. (I assume it finished this disc properly despite this, although I don't see how you could check other than going through the whole process again.) The next 4 discs took various times between 10 mins and 19 mins to process - unlike the first disc, they didn't need any user interaction after putting the disc in, and the progress bar seemed to move more uniformly too. I got all the other oddities that others have noted (wrong disc number at first, and disc 5 of 4 for the last one). At the end of disc 5 the PCM restarted automatically again before ejecting the disc - I then started to look at the info screens to check the update - at one point getting to the 'System version' screen that just said 'System version:    V' with no numbers at all - but after a few seconds a new Update screen popped up saying 'Navigation database successfully updated to version 6.7.1, and now the 'System version' screen showed the correct 'System version: V4.76'. Only at this point did the last disc eject - I think in my haste I had started doing things on the screen before the update process had truly finished, but with no obvious ill effects.

I now have a History screen showing 4 lines of software update entries (PCM31CFG... , PCM31HDD... , PCM31APP... & PCM31IOC...) and a further one line for the navigation data update (6.7.1 PCM31_ECE...).

The map screen initially looks worryingly blank, until you zoom out and realise it is centred somewhere Algeria (!) ... possibly the furthest south (nearest to zero latitude) it will go on zero longitude. Oddly, even with the car in my garage, the satnav doesn't think the car is in Algeria where the map is centred though - it thinks it's just outside Stockholm in Sweden (!!), as you can tell by asking it to route from what it thinks is its current location to any of your stored favourites. I found that even after leaving the car parked outside the garage for easily long enough to lock onto the satellite signals, I still had to drive it at least 100m before it updated the screen to show where I really was. But from there everything looked fine - I've checked that a new Sussex road and the A555 Manchester Airport link road are there, plus a rerouted section of German autobahn that I know of, and I've checked that it will use the Sussex one for routing.

TLDR version: I'd recommend this update package to anyone that wants the new maps. The main things I'd add to what has been said already about the process are:

- check the system version after using the first disc, before going on to use the USB stick and the nav discs, in case the software update hasn't completed sucecssfully;

- after putting in the first nav disc (only), hang around until the progress bar (re-)appears and starts moving up before walking away from the car, in case you need to respond to any on-screen messages - you shouldn't need to for the later discs (and I suppose it's possible that the messages will time out even if you don't respond);

- don't worry if the PCM seems to hang/appear unresponsive for up to a minute at various stages.

• Thanks 3

Well my experience hasn't been quite so straight forward as @Jon61but I think it has worked.

I didn't use the software update disc as I was already at 4.76 so I just started by connecting my CTek, turning on the ignition and putting in the usb stick for about 3 mins. 

I then pulled it out and rebooted the PCM by holding 'Info' for 10 seconds. When it rebooted I put in map disc 1. It asked if I wanted to update to 6.7.1 to which I said yes and off it went by telling me not to interrupt it then rebooted and came back with an error about write protect and ejected the DVD. Oh............

So I put it straight back in and then it asked again, I said yes, it rebooted but this time off it went asking for each DVD as it went with all the usual messages everyone else has seen.

At the end of disc 5 it rebooted again and told me it had successfully updated to 6.7.1. Happy days - until the CD drive made some odd noises then told me there was a mechanical problem with the CD drive and yes disc 5 was now stuck in the drive! I was not a happy bunny at this point.

I locked the car and came inside for a drink to calm down. About 20mins later I went back out unlocked the car and started it up. The CD drive began to spin up then asked if I wanted to update to 6.7.1. As I thought it had already done that I said 'no' and then tried to eject the disc - this time it came out, phew!!

I pressed the map button and my position came straight up, no delay in loading the maps and not in any strange countries as others have reported so I was unsure whether it had actually updated. 

I've driven out to a relatively new roundabout that wasn't on my maps before and indeed it now shows a roundabout, also I checked out a new bypass that only opened a few months ago and there it was on the maps (only a white road that it won't use but it is there). I've also checked the A555 mentioned earlier in the thread and that seems to be a red road that goes from Manchester airport all the way to the A6. So I think it has updated ok even with a scary occurrence of a jammed CD drive! The History tab does show two new entries, one with an error and one without both referring to 6.7.1

I'll now try to add the pictures of the history tab and the map showing the A555 road but I can't remember how to do that from flickr so it might not work!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2noCoJs][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52108248086_1f33759841.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2noCoJs]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155293911@N02/]Chris Boulton[/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nox9Q6][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52107225757_900cce6ee8.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nox9Q6]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155293911@N02/][/url], on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2noCzjN][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52108283718_7121ab338e.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2noCzjN]Untitled[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/155293911@N02/][/url], on Flickr

Edited by Buzzfox