Warping/delamination of door card, all Porsche 981's and 991's 2013 to 2015.

andygo

Anyone managed to fix this or had experience of it? I had no idea, but seems to be quite a big problem according to the dozens of examples on the net. Google Porsche warping delamination.

The top edge of the 'windowsill' part of the door card becomes delaminated and just popping the door trim off (easy job, 5 mins) and applying contact adhesive doesn't work. Ask me how I know.

Mine decidedd to delaminate this morning when I got in the car, I hadn't ebven noticed the beginnings of an issue.

It's all Porsches from 2013 >2015 and caused by having to change to an acrylic adhesive rather than a solvent heat resistant version (Thanks EU). Porsche doen't seem to be bothered and new panels are apparently mental money - over £1500 I believe which is a bit naughty as it's clearly a manufacturing issue and not really on for a 'quality car'..

Edited by andygo

I haven't found one.

All the American stuff I have found online either send it to Pedro's garage or manage to get Porsche to pay at least part of it. I have rung up my local Porsche dealers in Towcester but they were busy and said they would call back. I'm not holding my breath, not sure their phones work for outbound calls...

Edited by andygo

I don’t think it’s that common in the uk, certainly there’s plenty of examples in the USA and elsewhere, most frequently it seems in hot climates where the cars often get left in very hot sun. Doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue if you have your car under cover as far as I can tell?

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

I don’t think it’s that common in the uk, certainly there’s plenty of examples in the USA and elsewhere, most frequently it seems in hot climates where the cars often get left in very hot sun. Doesn’t seem to be too much of an issue if you have your car under cover as far as I can tell?

Indeed I do have mine under cover & even after a run today, it's back with stop lock & cover on.

I iamgine mine has been left outside for most of it's life, but we are hardly living in the Arizona desert6 - we are in the UK! just had a quote for a new Genuine Porsche one - £1157 inc VAT. But naughty when its a definate manufacturing fault in a similar way  to the IMS issues etc.

I'm a bit grumpy about it TBH - I have had 2 goes to glue it down again - it's a doddle to remove - but there isnt a lot of material to actuall glue as most of it is a tight fit to get at.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:54 PM, andygo said:

I haven't found one.

All the American stuff I have found online either send it to Pedro's garage or manage to get Porsche to pay at least part of it. I have rung up my local Porsche dealers in Towcester but they were busy and said they would call back. I'm not holding my breath, not sure their phones work for outbound calls...

They do, but only when I had a go at the Parts Department for lack of response a couple of months back (First time they let me down in 3 years), got a call from the parts manager very quickly.  Ask for Karl Cimarond the DP if necessary, or his is the first office on the corner of the block when you walk in...

You might get a better repair from an automotive trimmer, certainly less than £1k. Dave the Trimmer in MK? Not used him but a good reputation.

Edited by ½cwt

On 6/13/2022 at 7:53 PM, andygo said:

The top edge of the 'windowsill' part of the door card becomes delaminated and just popping the door trim off (easy job, 5 mins) and applying contact adhesive doesn't work.

I can't help with the OP, but it might be useful to post a few pics of the problem on here, so other members might be able to offer a solution? 

Hope you get it sorted anyway mate

:thumbsup_anim:

• Like 2

I have actually sorted the issue, bit of a rush as my son was racing a Cayman GT4 at Silverstone last weekend (He won the GT4 class in the British Endurance Championship) and then set off for France on Holiday. I'm writing this from a rather damp Gite in the Dordogne...

Tried glueing it twice as other people have tried but with poor results.

In the end i used a 1.5mm drill to pierce the trim and plastic backing and used a series of 2mm cable ties to attach. Sounds awful I know, but the repair is invisible and looks pretty perfect from both inside and outside of the car, which, I guess is the desired result. Cost of the repair - circa 50p.

As a bonus, I can't see how the airbag deployment will be compromised as the cable ties are small and the plastic trim is pretty thin as well.

I'll take the panel off when I get home and post up some photos. I'm really pleased with it as it will NEVER come undone.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, iborguk said:

Interesting info on the issue itself, can't comment on the "fix"...

Tried to do this Fix, wasn't successful. Possibly the glue, but I ran out of time, hence my approach.

• 4 months later...
On 6/24/2022 at 8:44 AM, andygo said:

I have actually sorted the issue, bit of a rush as my son was racing a Cayman GT4 at Silverstone last weekend (He won the GT4 class in the British Endurance Championship) and then set off for France on Holiday. I'm writing this from a rather damp Gite in the Dordogne...

Tried glueing it twice as other people have tried but with poor results.

In the end i used a 1.5mm drill to pierce the trim and plastic backing and used a series of 2mm cable ties to attach. Sounds awful I know, but the repair is invisible and looks pretty perfect from both inside and outside of the car, which, I guess is the desired result. Cost of the repair - circa 50p.

As a bonus, I can't see how the airbag deployment will be compromised as the cable ties are small and the plastic trim is pretty thin as well.

I'll take the panel off when I get home and post up some photos. I'm really pleased with it as it will NEVER come undone.

Do you have any photos of what you did or how this works with the cable ties please

• 3 months later...

This is the next fix it job to address on Alice, any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Else I'm gonna get out the heat gun , VHB tape, and bodge it myself - prob end up melting something like I usually do 😜

Double sided tape doesn't work once it gets hot, I tried all sorts, but good luck! I was rushed doing mine as I was going on hols to France  in a couple of days anfd the weather here was scorching. The sticky adhesives (note the plural) I used were ok overnight but as soon as it got hot, they just let go.

Edited by andygo

Difficult to explain tbh, and I can't quite remember it anyway. It was sort of a do or die attempt due to looming hols in the car. I used very narrow ties but possibly shoud have used more to even out the load. Probably needed someone with a more creative mind than mine, lol.

OK cheers,  sounds like it will be more obvious when I actually remove the door card. NOI but if you can do a fix with zero planning except "I want it right before we go away" then my lazy ar*e has a chance.  

I can re-built an engine, but not put up a book shelf.

Got plenty of different size and length cable ties, just need to put them all in the same place in the shed.

3 hours ago, Patt said:

OK cheers,  sounds like it will be more obvious when I actually remove the door card. NOI but if you can do a fix with zero planning except "I want it right before we go away" then my lazy ar*e has a chance.  

I can re-built an engine, but not put up a book shelf.

Got plenty of different size and length cable ties, just need to put them all in the same place in the shed.

Engines are easy you just keep bolting on bits that other people have made and fit together properly already.  No room for creativity!

• Haha 1