Category S Porsche Boxster 981

Richjf

Hi all,

I've seen a 981 in the spec I want recently but it's a category S due to front and rear damage (which is why it's in my budget!).

Just wanted to get some buying advice as to the level of risk that comes with buying a vehicle with this history.

The seller has an engineer's report following the repair work and I'll get a PPI carried out before I buy but what's everyone's opinions on getting a cat S Boxster?

Had an insurance quote already and it's higher than for my current 987 but not extortionate.

I'd like to think I'll be keeping the car for a long time so I'm not too worried about the resale value, but is it going to be really difficult to sell on if I do get rid of it?

Thanks in advance. Richard

Well most would recommend against, but ultimately it’s a cost/value/risk call.   If you are going in with your eyes open and have an engineers report and ppi uncovering nothing unexpected then at lest you are in a position to make a sensible call.  Obviously anything saved now on purchase price will be lost on resale so ultimate  ownership cost is likely to be little cheaper than a straight car.   

Have you seen pictures of the damaged car? …..might put you off! 

Edited by Greenman
  • Thanks 1

Would put me off since i have a cyclical distrust of car body repairs - unless I had seen it before during and after and the repairs were done by someone I knew or had a proven track record I would always wonder if that squeak, rattle, knock was something more serious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Richjf said:

Hi all,

I've seen a 981 in the spec I want recently but it's a category S due to front and rear damage (which is why it's in my budget!).

Just wanted to get some buying advice as to the level of risk that comes with buying a vehicle with this history.

The seller has an engineer's report following the repair work and I'll get a PPI carried out before I buy but what's everyone's opinions on getting a cat S Boxster?

Had an insurance quote already and it's higher than for my current 987 but not extortionate.

I'd like to think I'll be keeping the car for a long time so I'm not too worried about the resale value, but is it going to be really difficult to sell on if I do get rid of it?

Thanks in advance. Richard

Hi, I wouldn’t but it’s your cash. I’ll ask the rude question, what’s your budget ?

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Paul P said:

would always wonder if that squeak, rattle, knock was something more serious.

This could be quite a significant psychological point. Second hand cars a few years old are always likely to have the odd squeak or rattle, but in this case will it knock you confidence that there may be something more sinister?

Also, what sort of driving do you do?  If you do much spirited stuff or track days then are you confident that it can be taken to 8 or 9 tenths consistently?    Generally tootling and summer roof off leisurely outings, maybe?

Edited by Greenman
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I would avoid any car with a known CAT marker, but that's just me.  There are plenty of decent cars on the market, and I think a CAT S is a false economy.  Tread carefully mate, although it does sound like you're already aware of the pitfalls by inspecting an engineer's report following the repair work, and getting a PPI carried out before you buy.

Good luck, and do let us know how you get on with it :thumbsup_anim:

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Richjf said:

Thanks all for your advice, I really appreciate it.

I think I'll leave it. I don't feel confident enough with cars to take this risk.

Do you have a spec/colour/wants in mind ? 25k is quite a chunk of change although the 981 market is buoyant as you’ve discovered. It may be a case of having to save a bit more to get what you want but if you’re willing to share some desirables we might be able to at least point at cars to go look at. 

2 hours ago, Richjf said:

Hi all,

It can certainly be a way into a car that was/is out of budget for the reason you have already stated.

There are lots of horror stories out there such as replacing airbags with a resistor to fool the ecu into thinking an airbag is actually fitted.

However IF it has been repaired responsibly/professionally then there is little to no reason to worry.

Sounds to me like you know your mind so good luck with your decision and hunt :)

11 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

My Qs would be, who repaired it and when. 

OPC 6 years ago, go ahead. 
Owners mate last month, run. 
In between, you judge. 

You can pretty much guarantee it won’t have been an OPC repair, the whole point of being written off as a cat S is that it’s not financially viable to repair.   These get picked up and repaired ‘on the cheap’, it doesn’t mean though they won’t have been done properly, just it will have been at £60-£80/hr rather than £180/hr.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greenman said:

You can pretty much guarantee it won’t have been an OPC repair, the whole point of being written off as a cat S is that it’s not financially viable to repair.   These get picked up and repaired ‘on the cheap’, it doesn’t mean though they won’t have been done properly, just it will have been at £60-£80/hr rather than £180/hr.

And not only that, potentially the cost of a similar replacement hire car etc. Quicker and cheaper for the insurer to write it off.

S is structural damage  OPC bodyshop rate will be between £50 - £80 per hour. 
An Insurance approved Porsche bodyshop will have a prestige rate of around £52 per hour. 
or just an approved insurance bodyshop will be around £30.00 

I had a little mishap in my Boxster and it didn’t go anywhere near my approved Porsche bodyshop. However I’m in the game so know where to go in my area. 

For me to own a CAT S car i would need it to be at least 40% cheaper, have images of the original damage, the engineers report pre and post repairs and the original estimate for the car. Even then I would be cautious and it would still be a world of trouble to sell on. 

• Like 3

I have bought a lot of cat d/n/ and s my current Boxster is a D bought of a member here 4 years ago and has given me very little bother, i can see where the repairs where done but the price reflects that as will the price when selling it.

if you can see pictures of the damage and think the repairs were done well i would have no problem buying it, there is certain damage i stay away from.

i have also seen some cat n cars worse than cat s

how many cars on the road that have had damage and not recorded and buyers are none the wiser, at the end of the day it's what you feel comfortable with

19 minutes ago, dpg123 said:

Is it normal to have parking sensors at the front and not the rear?

So what are the 4 round mouldings on the diffuser trim at the rear?