Oil level after an oil change (981)

Davey P

13 hours ago, Paul P said:

Ironically - the fill capacity for a 981 with a filter change is 7.5 litres - and you bought 8 as part of your service - so I hope the half a litre was in a bottle they gave you.....

Nope, I already had a 1 litre bottle of Mobil 1 in the frunk.  But you are right, I was invoiced for 8 litres, so I guess the Dove House invoicing system doesn't allow for half measures... :lol:

I've just had mine serviced, it is at the full mark. 

Any other vehicle I've had serviced has been the same.

My view, if the oil should be at half there would be only one mark. 

My 2pence worth

21 hours ago, Davey P said:

Nope, I already had a 1 litre bottle of Mobil 1 in the frunk.  But you are right, I was invoiced for 8 litres, so I guess the Dove House invoicing system doesn't allow for half measures... :lol:

Can I have your half litre in my next service with them so I only pay for 7? 🤣

The difficulty with Caymans of this model is that you have to drive around for at least 20 mins to get a reading. I guess they err on the side of caution, especially as it saves them a few quid. It doesn't save the customer anything as they still charge you for the full fill!

4 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Can I have your half litre in my next service with them so I only pay for 7? 🤣

No.

:lol:

3 hours ago, andygo said:

The difficulty with Caymans of this model is that you have to drive around for at least 20 mins to get a reading. 

Yes, I've always thought that was a bad idea, and poorly thought out from Porsche.  An old fashioned dipstick would be much better I reckon.  It seems like sometimes we have progress and change just for the sake of it - Same with the stupid electronic handbrake...... Having said all that, it's still by far the best car I've ever had, so not really a problem I guess  :thumbsup_still:

3 hours ago, ATM said:

Mine after the DIY oil change. It stayed like this for a long long time without going down. Not checked it recently. 

20200906-082510.jpg

20200906-082535.jpg

How much did you put in?  The first time I did my own change I carefully measured what came out (was just under 8 litres). I added back in 7.5 litres and then topped up by 0.5 litres a couple of days later.   Initiall fill showed 2 Green segments.

I’ve done a couple of changes since this first one and don’t bother measuring now, I just add 7.5 litres, this usually shows 2 segments (once showed one segment). I top up a day or so later with 0.5-1.0 litres.   Always top up slowly though (0.5 litres max in one go) as it frequently takes a couple of journeys to get a consistent reading.

6 hours ago, andygo said:

The difficulty with Caymans of this model is that you have to drive around for at least 20 mins to get a reading. I guess they err on the side of caution, especially as it saves them a few quid. It doesn't save the customer anything as they still charge you for the full fill!

Shouldn’t be guesswork for a well equipped garage. PIWIS has both a cold and hot absolute fill level reading - and I think there is an oil change service process that guides on refill amounts.  

Garages also often measure what came out and use that as a baseline for refill. 

Even without that - i would also expect a road test of sufficient length to get the car up to temp as part of the service - and they could then top up a little after that if required.  

• Like 1

It's not that an underfill of 400 - 800ml is likely to damage your engine, but it's just a niggle that the jobs 1. not been done properly and 2.That you have been overcharged at the same time. I can't remember an instance of where a garage has overfilled...

It's the same cynacism I have that prevails when charged for a brake fluid change and its clear that the inner bleed nipples have never been touched.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2022 at 11:46 AM, Davey P said:

Just wanted to ask a fairly basic question - I had my car serviced at Dove House Motors yesterday, and when I got home the oil level indicator showed this:

20220727_110835

Is that acceptable, or should it be higher?  For the past year the green marker has been 1 bar down from the top every time I checked it (i.e. 1 white bar and 4 green).  Just thought I'd check on here to see if other people think that is acceptable, before I phone them.  Note, the invoice states a charge for 8 litres of oil, which I assume is correct?

Cheers in advance for any advice :thumbsup_still:

I have mine serviced at Dove House and when I enquired I was told it allows for expansion when hot so in the middle is perfect.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, C3PO said:

I have mine serviced at Dove House and when I enquired I was told it allows for expansion when hot so in the middle is perfect.

Isn't the displayed 981 (and 982) oil measurement taken when the engine is at temp though...?

13 minutes ago, C3PO said:

That doesn’t ring true   Measurement on that gauge requires the engine to be at temperature - so that is the hot reading  

and those bars are what 400cc   - how much expansion are they expecting  

1 minute ago, iborguk said:

Isn't the displayed 981 (and 982) oil measurement taken when the engine is at temp though...?

Yep, there is no reading until the car is fully warmed up, which is a terrible design flaw IMHO.  But never mind, everything else about the car is brilliant (oh, apart from the silly electronic handbrake, obviously... :lol:), so swings and roundabouts I guess..... 

I still haven't checked the oil level since putting half a litre in, because... er... I haven't been out anywhere this week :(

8 minutes ago, Paul P said:

That doesn’t ring true   Measurement on that gauge requires the engine to be at temperature - so that is the hot reading  

and those bars are what 400cc   - how much expansion are they expecting  

^This^

5 minutes ago, Davey P said:

I still haven't checked the oil level since putting half a litre in, because... er... I haven't been out anywhere this week :(

Exactly..no point going out in the lovely weather when you can't put the roof down.Roll on the winter for you tin top addicts.😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

^This^

I would say that's utter rubbish as well.

For example, assuming your car uses little or no oil, and the level is showing as full - eg  top sector grey, then does your car suddenly show overfull on a particularly hot day?

Nope? Thought so.

My 987's and my 2 981's I have owned have never shown temp related fluctuations.

Get my goat when people get fed nonsense to cover up mistakes. Like the time my 6 month old 7.5R was in for a new water pump under warranty. I asked why the car wasn't ready as promised. They said they had drained the coolant but had to let it settle. They seemed a bit stuck for words when I asked if they considering putting it back into the car. Shady gits.

4 hours ago, iborguk said:

It was in relation to track days and you really pushing the engine rather than just normal operating temperature.

12 minutes ago, C3PO said:

It was in relation to track days and you really pushing the engine rather than just normal operating temperature.

Again would expect to see something in a driver's manual/specs re that, I'm not buying it but hey just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, C3PO said:

I did a track day at Bedford in my 987.2 CS. Oil level didn't move as I checked, having just done an oil change.

I think I had been pushing the car as both my front (Chinese copies) centre caps fell out in the garage before my final run as the securing tabs had melted! :)

Edited by andygo