Oil level after an oil change (981)

Davey P

2 hours ago, iborguk said:

Again would expect to see something in a driver's manual/specs re that, I'm not buying it but hey just my opinion.

I guess a 20 years worth of experience Porsche trained technician knows nothing then😆

2 hours ago, C3PO said:

I guess a 20 years worth of experience Porsche trained technician knows nothing then😆

Funny they don’t always fill every car up the same in that case.  

6 hours ago, C3PO said:

So by the same "track day" logic, the OP's road car wouldn't be half-full on the gauge or is it half-full in case they might track it one day…

Edited by iborguk

9 hours ago, iborguk said:

So by the same "track day" logic, the OP's road car wouldn't be half-full on the gauge or is it half-full in case they might track it one day…

Too much positivity. I’m an engine half empty kind of guy 😉

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Paul P said:

That doesn’t ring true   Measurement on that gauge requires the engine to be at temperature - so that is the hot reading  

and those bars are what 400cc   - how much expansion are they expecting  

Over at rennlist, they’ve been doing the maths. 

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/319204-coefficient-of-thermal-expansion-of-motor-oil.html

The expansion works out at 4.5% at operating temperatures, so 8 litres would expand by 360cm3.

40 minutes ago, BBB said:

Over at rennlist, they’ve been doing the maths. 

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/319204-coefficient-of-thermal-expansion-of-motor-oil.html

The expansion works out at 4.5% at operating temperatures, so 8 litres would expand by 360cm3.

Almost one block on the scale then....

I still say give me a good old dipstick, but then again on a 986 I have one.  Dove House have filled mine spot on to max on the two occasions they have serviced it, but with an easy visual inspection involving no electronics I'd expect that.  Dipstick reading is in year 1 even if the oil change is in year 19...

Apparently the M96 engine used to spit out its dipstick followed by a load of oil causing engine bay fires when run as a race car in then 996 Porsche Cup cars.  Might have some bearing on Porsche going for an electronic level system in all their engines.

55 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Almost one block on the scale then....

I still say give me a good old dipstick, but then again on a 986 I have one.  Dove House have filled mine spot on to max on the two occasions they have serviced it, but with an easy visual inspection involving no electronics I'd expect that.  Dipstick reading is in year 1 even if the oil change is in year 19...

Apparently the M96 engine used to spit out its dipstick followed by a load of oil causing engine bay fires when run as a race car in then 996 Porsche Cup cars.  Might have some bearing on Porsche going for an electronic level system in all their engines.

Not 800mls worth though.

Mine was serviced pre-delivery , didn’t seem to be an issue to get the oil level as expected with an electronic gauge in play….

I think  @Paul P mentioned elsewhere , PIWIS can tell you the live oil level , would be interesting to see the logged level variations on that with it riding shotgun on a car being tracked.

Edited by iborguk

I finally got round to checking the oil level again today, after a run long enough to register a reading, and... after adding half a litre previously, it now reads 2 bars from the top, so I will leave it at that for now. I think it's almost as bad for the car to over fill it, so I'm happy with that.  However, I will keep an eye on it more often in future.

Thanks for all the comments guys, much appreciated as always :thumbsup_still:

• 1 month later...

@Davey P mine was the same as that after an OPC service, it hasn't budged on the level since so I've taken to be OK.

I would also like a manual dipstick option but if it's anything like the wife's Qashqai then would rather stick with the leccy version.  The 1.2 turbos seem to like to drink a bit of oil, but to make matters worse the dipstick is impossible to read.

It smears all the way up one side but on the other it's rarely showing anything, which down to the tube and the twirly stick design.  So depending on what side of the stick you look at it's near empty or it's got twice over Maximum.  Common issue apparently, I've given up now and just chuck a little bit in every couple of thousand miles   She needs to get a Macan 😎

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, moospeed said:

@Davey P mine was the same as that after an OPC service, it hasn't budged on the level since so I've taken to be OK.

I would also like a manual dipstick option but if it's anything like the wife's Qashqai then would rather stick with the leccy version.  The 1.2 turbos seem to like to drink a bit of oil, but to make matters worse the dipstick is impossible to read.

It smears all the way up one side but on the other it's rarely showing anything, which down to the tube and the twirly stick design.  So depending on what side of the stick you look at it's near empty or it's got twice over Maximum.  Common issue apparently, I've given up now and just chuck a little bit in every couple of thousand miles   She needs to get a Macan 😎

My 981 has read 1 bar from the top for 2500 miles. I did a day at Spa on Tuesday and at half time and the following day, it read exactly the same.

The tailgate had been opened several times so had plenty of opportunities for the level to recalibrate itself.