Pcm4 retrofit

daz05

Incredible resourcefulness Daz. Top work.

May I suggest a 718 steering wheel conversion next with PDK paddles? I'd like one for my car. I'm sure they use a VW Golf/Audi carcass so should be fairly obtainable.

Looking forward to your 'how to' video tomorrow...  :)

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, andygo said:

May I suggest a 718 steering wheel conversion next with PDK paddles? I'd like one for my car. I'm sure they use a VW Golf/Audi carcass so should be fairly obtainable.

I did consider stealing the one from the Cayenne but I'm already pushing my luck. I think a new steering wheel would cost more than the pcm 4 to be honest which is excessive for the benefit.

1 hour ago, andygo said:

When I jumped back into my 981 after a day and hundreds of miles in a 718 there were three things I immediately preferred with the old banger.  One I won't mention as it's obvious and written about everywhere, the other was the chrono clock integration in the dash and the other was the wheel which benefits from not being adorned with buttons to my eyes.  I preferred the diameter on the 718 wheel but nothing else.

As for this video, when the soldering iron came out this upgrade was scrubbed from my "maybe" list ☺️

Brave man to experiment on the wife's car.  I did something to my wife's car once and momentarily considered dumping it off a cliff and claiming it was stolen rather than fessing up.   That's the difference, I've seen Braveheart...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moospeed said:

When I jumped back into my 981 after a day and hundreds of miles in a 718 there were three things I immediately preferred with the old banger.  One I won't mention as it's obvious and written about everywhere, the other was the chrono clock integration in the dash and the other was the wheel which benefits from not being adorned with buttons to my eyes.  I preferred the diameter on the 718 wheel but nothing else.

As for this video, when the soldering iron came out this upgrade was scrubbed from my "maybe" list ☺️

Brave man to experiment on the wife's car.  I did something to my wife's car once and momentarily considered dumping it off a cliff and claiming it was stolen rather than fessing up.   That's the difference, I've seen Braveheart...

I don't want any of the buttons, just a smaller wheel please.

• Like 2

Very cool update @daz05 that makes a difference to the Cayenne for sure.  Generally what do you think of that over the X5 you had before? (maybe a post in the Cayenne section soon?!)

Will be interested to see the PCM 4 in the 981 for sure.   Soldering Iron doesn't put me off - although the dash software update in the Cayenne looked a bit scary!

Joyeauto and/or Isudar is pretty good for the PCM 3.1 but I'm with you that the screen and actual touch interface of a v4 unit would be very welcome

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Withy said:

Very cool update @daz05 that makes a difference to the Cayenne for sure.  Generally what do you think of that over the X5 you had before? (maybe a post in the Cayenne section soon?!)

Will be interested to see the PCM 4 in the 981 for sure.   Soldering Iron doesn't put me off - although the dash software update in the Cayenne looked a bit scary!

Joyeauto and/or Isudar is pretty good for the PCM 3.1 but I'm with you that the screen and actual touch interface of a v4 unit would be very welcome

Very pleased with it excellent family car, the X5 was fine and kept it was with us for a long time, for an SUV they made it handle very car like but the consequence was that it never suited British roads very well. The reason we got this was because Porsche has a knack of getting suspension right, it rides really well, soaks it all up, the initial bump stiffness is just right, soft and bouncy but as you lean on the car it gets stiffer and feels sharper. Yet it is more comfortable, more refined, and definitely a nicer place to be. Take a look at my review of the 9ya model of you want more information it's just an evolution of the same thing. 

I suppose you only need to do the cluster for communication of some of the data I wouldn't be happy with it like that but it's not essential if you wanted to treat it like an aftermarket stereo as the important things work as before and all it does is replicate what you get in your cluster. The Japanese spec cars came without the pcm, instead you got an Alpine unit.

With Pcm 4 it's nice not to have to use auxiliary, you get real sound and the user interface is better which makes it easier to focus on the road. When you are running low on fuel it offers to show you the nearest station and navigate you toward it with one touch.

Thanks all, appreciate the feedback 👍

• Like 1

22 hours ago, andygo said:

Its funny I prefer the GTS's Alcantara steering wheel to the 2020 Macan we also have. It just feels a bit plastic

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Its funny I prefer the GTS's Alcantara steering wheel to the 2020 Macan we also have. It just feels a bit plastic

If I was going to the expensive trouble of swapping the wheel, I would have Royal Steering Wheels clad it in Alcantara. My wife wanted her 3 series touring doing and she loves it.

On 10/18/2022 at 1:31 PM, moospeed said:

the wheel which benefits from not being adorned with buttons to my eyes. 

I agree.

whilst I think the 718 wheel looks much better than the 981 buttoned option, to me the 981 sport design wheel has the perfect look and easily surpasses the 718.  

anyway, sorry for the off topic.   Great video Daz,  probably not something I would dare to do though🫣😥

Edited by Greenman
  • Like 1

Yes i agree too, the 981 Sport Design is far better looking than the 718 wheel. Its just a great, clean Sporty looking wheel. It would be top of my options list if ordering a 981 when they were made.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A little update, I was using the GSM antenna for DAB reception and it was working but I noticed I was losing signal more often than in my Golf. 😭

I was always under the impression that you needed a different windscreen fitted for DAB reception but that is not the case. Instead there is a little antenna amplifier on the left side A pillar (not fitted if you have a CDR), this is either a single, double or triple unit depending on whether you have DAB or TV in the car. 

I found a DAB one and replaced my FM only amplifier and guess what I have OEM level reception now on my PCM 4.

Unfortunately the PCM 3 unit needs to be coded with a special code for DAB but if you could find a DAB tuned PCM 3 and code it to the car retrofitting DAB would be a piece of cake. I have no idea why Porsche didn't offer this as a retrofit option I think lot of people would have paid for it!

Edited by daz05
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Patt said:

DAB has an extra PCB in the unit, it is not just software coding. 

Thus Porsche can not sell it as an upgrade without invalidating the PCM warranty.

Correct but they could in theory sell a replacement PCM as they do with the navigation retrofit. 

https://content3.eu.porsche.com/prod/pag/tequipment/TeqFinder.nsf/TeqFinder?ReadForm&ba=Boxster&ma=PCGB (RL)&sp=1&bt=981&mo=Boxster&ka=Audio und Kommunikation&co=30&ac=product&pr=FFB18B0A02D912E9C1257AA6004DF4AD

Only problem is the price!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Withy said:

@daz05 Was thinking that with your PCM 4 retrofit, that this might also enable the Porsche Connect / My Porsche App for your car - is that the case, or is that still only for the later cars?

Hi, I can see the menu for it but my vin number isn't in the database so it doesn't work. If the vin registered on the Pcm4 was registered to my Porsche account it would work.

No great loss I heard it wasn't very good.