Things do happen in 3's !!!

alank

walking up the drive last night had the obligatory glance at the Box, and had that horrible feeling in my stomach, the windows had condensation on the inside😲.

After a sleepless night i checked inside and sure enough, wet carpets. By the grace of whoever's  up their, it was only the drivers side behind the seat. I thought ,great not only \alarm/\battery problems, but this as well. To top it all off, got my Aqua Vac out and was trying to get any water i could out ,when their was a bang and a cloud of smoke from the Vac, deceased......

So , up with the roof, checked the obvious drain and sure enough it was blocked.  Not quite sure how you are meant to get anything around the right angle bend in the drain pipe about 5 inches in ??it just hits the wall of the pipe. So i taped a piece of hose to my trusty DC04, and managed to suck out whatever was blocking it. Then taped same pipe to garden hose gun and jetted out both sides so the water was running out of both underside positions, also checked the drains adjacent to the headrests.

Hopefully that has cured my water ingress problem, now for some sunny days.  And , incidently, CAN i remove the alarm siren and still use the car, as i want to change battery  . Cheers 

I had similar earlier in the year. Did a thread on it here. If I were you, I'd remove the interior and carpets - you will really be surprised how much water the carper can hold as the sound deadening is really thick. The carpet is in two halves for ease of removal.

11 minutes ago, alank said:

And , incidently, CAN i remove the alarm siren and still use the car, as i want to change battery

Car battery or Siren battery?

If it’s the car car battery then there will be a maintenance setting for the car that allows you to swap the car’s 12v battery without being left with a slew of warning lights to work through.

Don’t know about 981 but someone will know the answer.  

Edited by map
Tipo

1 hour ago, Happy Days said:

I had similar earlier in the year. Did a thread on it here. If I were you, I'd remove the interior and carpets - you will really be surprised how much water the carper can hold as the sound deadening is really thick. The carpet is in two halves for ease of removal.

This!
Had this a few years back.  I'm 99% sure there's some electronics under there too.  Might be the Bose amp.  Either way, worth stripping out and Porsche Portsmouth did mine under warranty.....both times!

20 hours ago, alank said:

walking up the drive last night had the obligatory glance at the Box, and had that horrible feeling in my stomach, the windows had condensation on the inside😲.

After a sleepless night i checked inside and sure enough, wet carpets. By the grace of whoever's  up their, it was only the drivers side behind the seat. I thought ,great not only \alarm/\battery problems, but this as well. To top it all off, got my Aqua Vac out and was trying to get any water i could out ,when their was a bang and a cloud of smoke from the Vac, deceased......

So , up with the roof, checked the obvious drain and sure enough it was blocked.  Not quite sure how you are meant to get anything around the right angle bend in the drain pipe about 5 inches in ??it just hits the wall of the pipe. So i taped a piece of hose to my trusty DC04, and managed to suck out whatever was blocking it. Then taped same pipe to garden hose gun and jetted out both sides so the water was running out of both underside positions, also checked the drains adjacent to the headrests.

Hopefully that has cured my water ingress problem, now for some sunny days.  And , incidently, CAN i remove the alarm siren and still use the car, as i want to change battery  . Cheers 

This is what I use to dry and keep my drains clear.

Even though I'm sure my drains are clear, I snaked them with a trombone cleaner when I got the car, there is alway water still in the channel at the drain grommet the bottom of which is not flush with the bottom of the channel.

Is it just expected to clear through evaporation?

10 hours ago, eob said:

Even though I'm sure my drains are clear, I snaked them with a trombone cleaner when I got the car, there is alway water still in the channel at the drain grommet the bottom of which is not flush with the bottom of the channel.

Is it just expected to clear through evaporation?

Are you talking about the top rear drain under the deck lid?  Yes there is always a little water left there , as you rightly called out due to drain grommet position.

I tend to open the deck and dry it out when washing the car (and keep that area waxed)

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, perebrine said:

If the drains are blocked, where or how does the water enter the car?

If the rear drains are blocked then the water pools in the membrane that sits under the roof (in open position) .... and seeps through the engine access cover in the cabin (behind the seats)

Worth having a feel behind your seats periodically. I keep a rolled up microfibre towel behind each seat and check them occasionally (clear my drains twice a year  but you know, just in case)

Edited by Pinewood
  • Like 2