Not starting :(

Withy

BGTS not starting today.  Haven't been out in it for probably 2 weeks and it's outside in the Scottish cold.   I'm hopeful it isn't blocked drains and expensive like my 981S was.  Car has power, in that lights are. on, frunk opens and all internal stuff working OK.  Right hand binnacle has had 2 errors;

- Low Battery 12V Socket Off
- Low Battery Start Engine and run for extended period

Jump leads not helping at all.  I know the car is the age that it should have a new battery, so maybe it's just that.  Probably get it down to Indy tomorrow if I can get it booked in, but 1st will be the recovery mob to see if a heavy duty booster kicks it back into life.

Please don't let it be drain holes!) (nothing wet behind passenger seat, all seems perfectly dry)

Just now, Scubaregs said:

I can lend you a CTEK mate if you want to try that overnight?

Thanks for the offer Craig.. Lets see what tomorrow brings, I might take you up on it - will ping you on whatsapp maybe!

37 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Got to be the battery!

Put your hand down under the seat and hopefully it's all dry in the gap in the carpet. 

Hopefully!  Yep, all dry as far as I can reach, gap in carpet I can feel down to the metal and all bone dry.  It's time for a new battery anyway I think.  I'll probably get the indy to replace it just for peace of mind as they have PIWIS - is the general consensus that they are just swap in/ swap out now though? (i.e. no coding/conditioning)

1 minute ago, Withy said:

Hopefully!  Yep, all dry as far as I can reach, gap in carpet I can feel down to the metal and all bone dry.  It's time for a new battery anyway I think.  I'll probably get the indy to replace it just for peace of mind as they have PIWIS - is the general consensus that they are just swap in/ swap out now though? (i.e. no coding/conditioning)

By the book it needs the battery type/capacity and serial number coding for optimal charging. If your Indy has a PIWIS anyway then that should be easy...

• Like 1

Read another thread on here about being able to see Vehicle Voltage on the right hand cluster display.. Quite cool that you can see this, and it does look like my battery needs replaced - showing 11.4V and I believe should be 12.6 min

52545184586_414a8eed02_b.jpg

15 hours ago, iborguk said:

By the book it needs the battery type/capacity and serial number coding for optimal charging. If your Indy has a PIWIS anyway then that should be easy...

I've used a few different batteries in mine and never coded anything.

5 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

These days batteries usually have a WWYY date code stamped in somewhere, like tyres. Some last for 10 years others die at 5 years.

Yes WWYY is sometimes stamped on the terminal post, on the negative post on the Porsche batteries.

981 External charging/jump starting

Every external charging/jump starting operation on the battery must be performed at the jump start terminal (positive battery terminal) and the corresponding ground terminal (on the wiper linkage). 

The negative battery terminal must not be used for external charging/jump starting since the battery sensor can be destroyed by voltage peaks during the charging operation/jump starting.

LIN control unit, battery sensor 

The battery sensor detects and calculates the energy flow and uses this information to calculate the battery condition. It is installed between the negative terminal of the battery and the ground cable to the body. 

The following measured variables are detected by the sensor: 

• Battery current (charging current/discharge current) 
• Battery voltage 
• Negative terminal temperature (NTC resistor) 

A connector with 2 terminals (terminal 30/LIN) is fitted on the battery sensor control unit (Figure 9_05_12). Terminal 30/battery positive is used to detect the battery voltage at the positive battery terminal and to supply power to the battery sensor. 

This means that it is possible to measure the charging voltage of the generator and open-circuit voltage of the battery. Using the measured values for battery positive/ terminal 30, battery current (measured via a shunt in the battery sensor control unit) and negative terminal temperature (NTC in the battery sensor control unit), the battery sensor control unit (slave) calculates the current battery condition by way of an algorithm. This value is transmitted to the gateway (energy management master) via a LIN interface

• Like 2

So I ended up using the AA of all people who have a mobile battery replacement service. Bosch battery used, conditioning of battery to car etc. 

guy was really good, but issue persists. I’ve elected to keep the new battery as the old one was clearly well past sell by date as was original one.  All electrics worlk, key twist tries engine but no joy.  It’s very like when my 981S had drain hole issues and the VTS unit was damaged

heading to Indy soon

1 hour ago, Withy said:

So I ended up using the AA of all people who have a mobile battery replacement service. Bosch battery used, conditioning of battery to car etc. 

guy was really good, but issue persists. I’ve elected to keep the new battery as the old one was clearly well past sell by date as was original one.  All electrics worlk, key twist tries engine but no joy.  It’s very like when my 981S had drain hole issues and the VTS unit was damaged

heading to Indy soon

Oh dear, I did have concerns when you were getting absolutely no turn whatsoever with 11.4v. Out of interest did you try the spare key? Does it know it's in park? Is the brake light coming on when you press it?

I hope it isn't water damage but it could be the fuel pump like this 

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/car-will-not-start-solution-and-a-question.249784/

Edited by daz05

32 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Oh dear, I did have concerns when you were getting absolutely no turn whatsoever with 11.4v. Out of interest did you try the spare key? Does it know it's in park? Is the brake light coming on when you press it?

I hope it isn't water damage but it could be the fuel pump like this 

https://www.planet-9.com/threads/car-will-not-start-solution-and-a-question.249784/

Yep tried spare key, it knows it's in Park (but occasionally does ask for the brake to be pressed when it already is when trying to start).  All lights operating as usual, roof operation OK, checked drains and look ok, still dry behind seats

Interesting post about the fuel pump relay..

15 minutes ago, zagamuffin said:

Pull the belts out full extension , if footwells flooded last foot of belt will be wet 

Completely dry.  
My usual Indy is mad busy at the moment, and it'll be next week before it goes in there.  I am thinking that maybe I should recover it to OPC for them to take a look.  

• Sad 1

Failed fuel pump definitely matches the symptoms - ask me how I know!

Many years ago now whilst at the tyre fitters - 3 year old Porsche, no previous issues.  Still feel the embarrassment of it being hauled away on the back of a truck.  Tyres looked good though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, zagamuffin said:

I’m thinking , the brake pedal switch would control starting the car but also the transmission lock, ign on and foot on brake can you move selector out of park ???  

Yep, ign on and Brake on I can move into N/D etc.  Interesting though as the display of "Press Brake Pedal" does pop up occasionally 

• Confused 1