Not starting :(

Withy

On 12/5/2022 at 8:57 PM, Withy said:

Read another thread on here about being able to see Vehicle Voltage on the right hand cluster display.. Quite cool that you can see this, and it does look like my battery needs replaced - showing 11.4V and I believe should be 12.6 min

52545184586_414a8eed02_b.jpg

I didn’t realise you can get that screen up without the engine running, did you just put the ignition on and wait a few moments for it to appear? Also I notice you have a little whit battery icon displayed, I reckon it’s telling you it needs replacing. 

Withy ,

another free thing to check before stealers get it in , turn ign on in quiet garage/area with drivers door open , listen for fuel pump priming up, if you don’t hear it spin Eng on starter and you release pressure.shut off key fully , now repeat as fuel system will need to prime up to full pressure again,should hear even in tank pumps that way. Next is disconnect battery and leave for 30 mins . Reconnect up and system should be fully discharged , might reset a relay or some other glitch.

if it’s a failed part none of this will help but good to eliminate the ghosts…..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Just worked it out, mines reading 12.2 after a half hour run. Reckon I’m going to need a new battery soon as I’ve noticed my stop start has recently stopped working. 

Or just give it a good charge with a proper charger. My stop start only ever works properly after a good charge from a charger.

What is peoples charging voltage whilst driving.

Mine, for some weird reason -other than its a bit chilly- has gone to 15.2v even after a CTEK charge and with a 3 month old new Bannerman OPC battery. It always used to be about 14.5V until Saturday whilst on a 150 mile trip.

Edited by andygo

18 hours ago, andygo said:

What is peoples charging voltage whilst driving.

Mine, for some weird reason -other than its a bit chilly- has gone to 15.2v even after a CTEK charge and with a 3 month old new Bannerman OPC battery. It always used to be about 14.5V until Saturday whilst on a 150 mile trip.

Same here this morning. Car has been sat for a week, no CTEK or anything. Brass monkey weather and was charging at 15.2v

Lots of battery related maths here - https://workshoppist.com/agm-battery-charging-voltages/ 

Seems to support the theories about optimal charging based on State of Charge, Battery characteristics and ambient temp - there's one table in there that suggest one of the voltages used should be about 15.1V when its cold. And also talks about the temp logic in one of the CTEK chargers that senses ambient and adjusts is charging accordingly. My take after reading it was that "its around 0 deg C so the cars charging at 15.something are doing the smart thing with optimised charging"

2 hours ago, Paul P said:

Lots of battery related maths here - https://workshoppist.com/agm-battery-charging-voltages/ 

Seems to support the theories about optimal charging based on State of Charge, Battery characteristics and ambient temp - there's one table in there that suggest one of the voltages used should be about 15.1V when its cold. And also talks about the temp logic in one of the CTEK chargers that senses ambient and adjusts is charging accordingly. My take after reading it was that "its around 0 deg C so the cars charging at 15.something are doing the smart thing with optimised charging"

Good find Paul.

So here's a bit of turn-up, and I thank @zagamuffin and others for guidance/hints and tips.   My car (with new battery) is now starting :):)

I followed guidance, and disconnected battery yesterday for about an hour, but the same pathetic 1/4 crank happened before nothing else.  I recall that the helpful AA guy who replaced the battery said that on his knowledgebase system there was a few instances of similar guidance for Porsches where disconnecting battery for some period of time resolved my exact issue.  Anyhoo didn't seem to work for me yesterday, but for sh1ts and g1ggles I disconnected battery late evening and left it overnight.  Today I was scheduled to get the car recovered to Indy, but I called it off this morning, due to other stuff going on, and just left the car disconnected until about 20 mins ago.  Took the dog out (in -2.5 weather) and thought "will try one more time" before rescheduling the pickup.  And fu(k me it actually fired 1st time like it had never had an issue!

I've never been so happy to hear that 3.4 do it's thang!

Of course then I was completely scared to turn it off and try again, but I did so a few times, and all seems to be back to normal.  I think I'll arrange an Indy visit to see if anything has popped up on PIWIS, just for some peace of mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Withy said:

So here's a bit of turn-up, and I thank @zagamuffin and others for guidance/hints and tips.   My car (with new battery) is now starting :):)

I followed guidance, and disconnected battery yesterday for about an hour, but the same pathetic 1/4 crank happened before nothing else.  I recall that the helpful AA guy who replaced the battery said that on his knowledgebase system there was a few instances of similar guidance for Porsches where disconnecting battery for some period of time resolved my exact issue.  Anyhoo didn't seem to work for me yesterday, but for sh1ts and g1ggles I disconnected battery late evening and left it overnight.  Today I was scheduled to get the car recovered to Indy, but I called it off this morning, due to other stuff going on, and just left the car disconnected until about 20 mins ago.  Took the dog out (in -2.5 weather) and thought "will try one more time" before rescheduling the pickup.  And fu(k me it actually fired 1st time like it had never had an issue!

Of course then I was completely scared to turn it off and try again, but I did so a few times, and all seems to be back to normal.  I think I'll arrange an Indy visit to see if anything has popped up on PIWIS, just for some peace of mind.

Cheap fix, the best kind! Result!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Withy said:

Love self DIY , so satisfying 💥

• Haha 3

Oh

My

God

Dont turn it on and off when it's Cold .... and definitely dont rev the nuts off it

Not necessarily related but popped into my head

Few years ago my Cousin left his car at my parents.  For some reason my dad decided to move it and turned it on and off a couple of times.  Not exactly sure how many because it broke and he got all sheepish.  Anyway the inlet manifold blew off due to some unburnt fuel exploding in the inlet.  Ford repaired it under warranty but told my cousin to never turn it on and off quickly when it is cold.  So this was probably 25 years ago or more.  

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, ATM said:

Oh

My

God

Dont turn it on and off when it's Cold .... and definitely dont rev the nuts off it

Not necessarily related but popped into my head

Few years ago my Cousin left his car at my parents.  For some reason my dad decided to move it and turned it on and off a couple of times.  Not exactly sure how many because it broke and he got all sheepish.  Anyway the inlet manifold blew off due to some unburnt fuel exploding in the inlet.  Ford repaired it under warranty but told my cousin to never turn it on and off quickly when it is cold.  So this was probably 25 years ago or more.  

I did that in an old transit when I was about 18. We used to max the van in 2nd gear, turn ignition off whilst still in gear and pump the throttle like mad. When we turned the ignition back on there was always an big bang from the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. This was before the days of fule injection of course.

Was great fun until one day the whole exhaust system completely didintegrated all over the road.

Good times. :)

Edited by andygo

Took it out for a spin today.. started no problem at all.

I did that thing of using a bag of hot water to defrost windscreen - works well (better than Prestone de-icer anyway)

car cover going on tomorrow if I can stand the cold (and get rid of surface frost before the cover goes on)

• Thanks 1

take a resealable bag, I use a freezer bag, fill with warm water from the tap.

Seal shut

Wipe on glass and watch it satisfyingly melt very quickly.

When done, I tend to poor the water over the headlights to remove some of the dirt too.

Place freezer bag ready for next morning.

Another top tip I do is have a sports bottle with cold water in the car.  As the windscreen washers tend to freeze up in the pipes, I squirt on windscreen when sat at traffic lights etc.

• Like 1