Not starting :(

Withy

Freezer bag is a good idea, we usually pour a jug of hot (not boiling obvs) water over the windows but then of course if forms a nice ice rink on the drive around the car for when you get back.  Well aware of not doing that with the kettle unless you want to remove the windows entirely, permanent defrost method.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Withy said:

Out and about today - it is very noticeable that the Stop Start now actually works consistently with a new battery (all the more reason to be in Sport mode so it gets disabled! :) )

I think you can get the car coded to remember the last stop start setting so if you turn it off in normal mode then it stays that way next start.  

On 12/23/2022 at 9:36 PM, Withy said:

Out and about today - it is very noticeable that the Stop Start now actually works consistently with a new battery (all the more reason to be in Sport mode so it gets disabled! :) )

But if you don't drive the car frequently then the voltage will drop and this will prevent the start stop from functioning. It priorities battery charging. 

• 8 months later...

Resurrecting this thread, as the same thing has happened to my car again..  This 1/2 crank of engine and not starting

Never did get a root cause from the time it happened in Dec 2022, but PIWIS check at Indy showed no issues.

Car was left at an airport on Tue night last week, when we returned to it Sunday, it initially started for a few seconds, then died again.  Battery replaced again by AA as a diagnostic during recovery, but not made any difference (and now mine is back in)
Car with an Indy now after hassles of recovery in a secure Airport car park.  Will see what happens next week when Indy has capacity to have a look.  Thankfully I don't need the car for the moment.  Hopefully get to the actual cause this time

• 2 weeks later...

After a load of hassle getting the car recovered from Edinburgh Airport secure parking, it’s now at OPC Glasgow and does need a new VTS. Supply and fit is £1197 :(  
they did try the hard reset, but no joy. There are loads of reports of this unit failing on 981 and 991 cars, just Google ‘VTS Control Unit failure Porsche’ and you’ll be horrified at the number of these failures

this also interesting  https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2021/MC-10199818-0001.pdf

quite annoying that I’ve had this on 2 cars now. Oh well, no such thing as a cheap Porsche!

Both PSE valves stuck (open) and as I know one of the actuators snapped so estimate to replace that is £4K not happening at this point!

Edited by Withy

5 minutes ago, Withy said:

Still broken from last thread.. was trying to get a replacement right side from an Indy for a reduced price, but that never transpired

Are you talking about the small lever/tab that is attached to the shaft that comes out of the exhaust and has a small 'ball on a stick' that attches to the vacuum unit?

If so, I'm trying to get mine fixed or at least agreed as a warranty claim. The OPC are trying to tell me its 'corrosion' when clearly there is no corrosion present and my flap is completely free moving.

Here is my 'corroded broken tab/actuater:

M5R2abB.jpg

kJEuELV.jpg

As it happens, I got the two parts welded together and the exhaust has been fine, but when I come to extend my warranty it will fail the OPC check..

15 hours ago, alank said:

Just looked on Google and you can get replacement Sport Exhaust Vacuum Units for 981 from ,amongst others, Design 911 for the  sum of £126.11. i assume they come off ??

I have one going spare.  Bought it off here for (IIRC) £35, you are welcome to have it for the same.

It wasn't the fix for my PSE and I've had to go ful replacement.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, andygo said:

but when I come to extend my warranty it will fail the OPC check

If you currently have opc warranty then you don’t need a physical check to renew.  It’s all a paper exercise.  I did mine over email.  

13 minutes ago, Paul P said:

If you currently have opc warranty then you don’t need a physical check to renew.  It’s all a paper exercise.  I did mine over email.  

Thats helpful, thanks.

Would still be nice for them to have (a) the spare parts forn the car and (b) not try and wriggle out of the warranty obligation. :)

On the Porsche Approved Warranty there is no mention of anything exhaust-related on the "exhaustive list of items commonly subject to wear and tear" in the section headed "Ageing and wear and tear items". I had to remind my OPC that "exhaustive" means "fully comprehensive and complete". So if it ain't in the list of wear and tear items, it's included in the warranty. I wasn't claiming on the PSE but on a control arm. Sending them a copy of the relevant part of the contract changed their mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrianJ said:

On the Porsche Approved Warranty there is no mention of anything exhaust-related on the "exhaustive list of items commonly subject to wear and tear" in the section headed "Ageing and wear and tear items". I had to remind my OPC that "exhaustive" means "fully comprehensive and complete". So if it ain't in the list of wear and tear items, it's included in the warranty. I wasn't claiming on the PSE but on a control arm. Sending them a copy of the relevant part of the contract changed their mind. 

They were trying to tell me that the part breakage was due to corrosion. I couldm't see any evidence of corrosion...

Mine out of warranty, so no option there.

when I looked into this before the snapped actuator can be replaced and is available, however the challenge is that the baffle inside the exhaust is generally what jams, it can’t move, so a new actuator will just snap again unless someone can magic up how to Sort the internal issue which results in the ball/post joint snapping.

for cars under warranty, PSE is 100% included, my friend with a 2012 991.1 has had both sides replaced

Edited by Withy

23 minutes ago, Withy said:

Mine out of warranty, so no option there.

when I looked into this before the snapped actuator can be replaced and is available, however the challenge is that the baffle inside the exhaust is generally what jams, it can’t move, so a new actuator will just snap again unless someone can magic up how to Sort the internal issue which results in the ball/post joint snapping.

for cars under warranty, PSE is 100% included, my friend with a 2012 991.1 has had both sides replaced

The part that has snapped on mine is not part of the actuator, rather the external bit of the internal flap. I cant see that being available seperately though. Happy to be corrected though.