987.1 FRONT SUBFRAME/CROSSMEMBER Wanted

capeboy

2008n Boxster S, 987.1.

Best place to buy a used front subframe please? None in the obvious places....

Part number, I believe:  99734108106

Thanks

1 hour ago, capeboy said:

2008n Boxster S, 987.1.

Best place to buy a used front subframe please? None in the obvious places....

Part number, I believe: 99734108106

Thanks

Parts cat confirms that number.  About £750-800 new from an OPC.

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

At that price, I'd buy new for only about £50 (there's nearly £50 in delivery cost too on the listing) more and know it is has zero rather than 80,000 km on it and is 3 years older than the car that needs it even though it would still be compatible.

23 hours ago, JonSta said:

Why would you need such a thing if you don't mind me asking?

Indie managed to break off a bit whilst trying to remove a seized coffin arm bolt...!!!!

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, capeboy said:

Indie managed to break off a bit whilst trying to remove a seized coffin arm bolt...!!!!

34 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Surely they should be paying for a brand new replacement one then

+1.  That is why they should have liability insurance....

A decent Porsche indy should recognise a seized coffin arm bolt and reach for the heat or cutting disc, not just carry on smacking tha cr*p out of it.  And again, a decent indy (any brand) should cough up if they cause damage.

I sympathise with mechanics working on older cars. My son is a mechanic and a lot of the cars that he works on are quite old and have never had various bolts and fixings removed so takes much longer to work on. What can be a straightforward job on a fairly new car can take four times as long on an old car with bolts rusted in situ. 

Along a completely different vein, He recently did work on a golf GTi. The spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft had spun and welded itself into the end of the crankshaft. New, (good quality used) crankshaft required which meant engine out and a total bottom end strip down. What started as a leaking rear crankshaft oil seal and a bit of noise turned out to be far more.

3 hours ago, phazed said:

I sympathise with mechanics working on older cars. My son is a mechanic and a lot of the cars that he works on are quite old and have never had various bolts and fixings removed so takes much longer to work on. What can be a straightforward job on a fairly new car can take four times as long on an old car with bolts rusted in situ. 

Along a completely different vein, He recently did work on a golf GTi. The spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft had spun and welded itself into the end of the crankshaft. New, (good quality used) crankshaft required which meant engine out and a total bottom end strip down. What started as a leaking rear crankshaft oil seal and a bit of noise turned out to be far more.

Sympathy yes, but you don't damage a subframe and then not accept any responsibility for it... Plus if you know these cars, having to cut out a coffin arm bolt is not uncommon.

Glad I didn't have to pay the bill on that Golf!!  There but for the grace of God....

I do agree with you regarding the Subframe. You’d have to be fairly hamfisted and be taking drastic action for that to happen.

I do agree with you regarding the Subframe. You’d have to be fairly hamfisted and be taking drastic action for that to happen.

The golf did turn out reasonably expensive although I believe my son managed to keep the bill down to about £1200. It was never going to be cheap anyhow taking into consideration the heavy PDK Gearbox.

Maybe the OP should buy my daughters low mileage, 06, 2.7, 987.1 which is sitting there in very good condition with a cooked engine. I will probably take 2.5 K for it. Think of all the other spares you have….

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 4:01 PM, phazed said:

The golf did turn out reasonably expensive although I believe my son managed to keep the bill down to about £1200. It was never going to be cheap anyhow taking into consideration the heavy PDK Gearbox.

Maybe the OP should buy my daughters low mileage, 06, 2.7, 987.1 which is sitting there in very good condition with a cooked engine. I will probably take 2.5 K for it. Think of all the other spares you have….

I'm trying to send you a private message, it says you can't accept, maybe your inbox is full?