550 Anniversary

dunks

8 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

How do they get on? Respectable price, some disappointments, totally unpredictable?

It is like life in general, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Apart from low mileage 550's and the like 986's have dropped in value quite a lot in the past 18 months. 

I had to clear some stock and had purchased a couple when prices were high but could not prep them for ages as simply too busy. In the end I took a loss on one of them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TV8 said:

For me, if it’s an auction, then it’s the most accurate price? What someone is actually prepared to pay vs what someone thinks their vehicle is worth.  

What if it's an auction with a reserve, surely that sets what someone thinks their vehicle is worth?

I have owned well in excess of 50 cars and have never bid or sold in an auction. Too many stories of chancers offloading their problems. Also too many stories of trade scum colluding.

Which raises another point, if I as a serial car owner have never used an auction there must be plenty more like me (at least in this aspect) so you are deliberately reducing the number of people willing to purchase the car.

It is simply another sales medium, I ain't buying the most accurate or easiest aspect, trading in is equally easy and considerably more accurate considering most now match or exceed WBAC for example.

36 minutes ago, TROOPER88 said:

Nail on the head. 

It is the easiest and most accurate way to determine what an items actual worth is. 

Some people do not understand this.

If I have a 986 that has not sold for some time, I will list it on Ebay as a 7 day no-reserve auction. 

Buyer circumstances can often affect prices - some people need to release funds, think the car is about to go wrong or know of a hidden problem, realise they should sell but happy to have it sit there for months.

Personally, I hate buying/selling cars now. Used to enjoy it but no more. 

9 minutes ago, TV8 said:

This one sold, so I assume it was above reserve?

Assuming there was a reserve in the first place.

CC have a reputation for badgering the seller to lower reserves.

That alone would make me pause from employing their services because as you say circumstances can vary and there would always be that niggling feeling they have an agenda and it isn't to secure the best price possible for ME.

7 minutes ago, EXY said:

CC have a reputation for badgering the seller to lower reserves.

I wonder if they have a no sell fee?

I have only recently discovered bangers and cash and they seem to set reserves to sell. Proof, at least on the early series, that there were a few trade buyers. Not sure I would use them for some of the higher valued cars that they have for auction.

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

It is like life in general, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Apart from low mileage 550's and the like 986's have dropped in value quite a lot in the past 18 months. 

I had to clear some stock and had purchased a couple when prices were high but could not prep them for ages as simply too busy. In the end I took a loss on one of them.

I purchased my 986 in the summer and paid good money. I’ve spent a fair amount  since but it doesn’t really bother me. If I sold it now I’d probably be at least £6k out of pocket. I bought it to  enjoy not make a fortune out of. I did that with my Ferrari 308 GT4 in the 80s😇

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cybot7 said:

I purchased my 986 in the summer and paid good money. I’ve spent a fair amount  since but it doesn’t really bother me. If I sold it now I’d probably be at least £6k out of pocket. I bought it to  enjoy not make a fortune out of. I did that with my Ferrari 308 GT4 in the 80s😇

Pretty much like me, except the Ferrari bit that is.  My 986 was bought to enjoy and work on as a hobby, not to make money.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

I know some peps on here don’t think so but high mileage has a negative affect to price. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

I know some peps on here don’t think so but high mileage has a negative affect to price. 

Of course it does but it doesn't necessarily correspond to the condition of the car. 

11 minutes ago, edc said:

Of course it does but it doesn't necessarily correspond to the condition of the car. 

Only if you’ve changed everything mechanical that deteriorates due to the wear and tear of high mileage. Think about all those buried deep bearings, shafts, seals etc, etc. they will have greater wear. Far better to pay a bit more for a well maintained low miler imho. If you could compare 2 986 cars, same year, same condition, one on 40K mikes, one on 140K miles I bet there would be as much as 5K difference in the selling price. The market will always determine value not the owner. 

Edited by Clivescoobydo

Wow this thread is getting well juicy 😜. And 15 grand for a decent sports car...seems like a bargain to me. The 550 is bound to become collectable if it isn't already. I'm sure people said the same thing about 80's 911s 20 years ago, and we all know what's happened to those prices.

As the owner of a 987.2s with PDK, I do miss its predecessor, a 986s manual, and I am not alone. The 987 is better in every respect but somehow I connected more with the 986. I couldn't revert to a 986 even if I wanted to, the tax in Ireland is over €2000 as opposed to €600 on the 987, but some on here are doing exactly that and I can see why.

Who knows what will happen to prices in the future, but if someone had predicted that 40 year old air cooleds would be worth more than water cooleds half their age, they would have been locked up. Maybe the 986 will become the Boxster to have and an anni will then be silly money.

Personally, I don't give a flying f..k what anyone else thinks of what I spend my own money on, it's either worth it to me or it isn't.

• Like 1

Just now, Clivescoobydo said:

Is that the annual VED? Thank god for Brexit lol 

Yep, nothing to do with Europe, but I know leavers are now desperate for any evidence that the decision was a good one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Fat Rat said:

Is it just me that thinks those stick-on spyder humps are a bit nafff?

22 hours ago, Bike Loon said:

One at my way, well apparently it sa "Boxter"... a mere £12.5k with over 140,000 miles on it

don't think I've ever seen such a poor set of for sale photos. 

7 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Only if you’ve changed everything mechanical that deteriorates due to the wear and tear of high mileage. Think about all those buried deep bearings, shafts, seals etc, etc. they will have greater wear. Far better to pay a bit more for a well maintained low miler imho. If you could compare 2 986 cars, same year, same condition, one on 40K mikes, one on 140K miles I bet there would be as much as 5K difference in the selling price. The market will always determine value not the owner. 

I don't disagree per se. If the history and condition were equal then who wouldn't favour the lower mileage car? And if course the lower miler would be more  But that's not the same as saying a 45k mile car will be better than a 100k mile car. 

9 hours ago, jonogt6 said:

Wow this thread is getting well juicy 😜. And 15 grand for a decent sports car...seems like a bargain to me. The 550 is bound to become collectable if it isn't already. I'm sure people said the same thing about 80's 911s 20 years ago, and we all know what's happened to those prices.

Don't forget it had the wrong gearbox which apparently shaved £5k off the price, so it would be £20k for a manual version, allegedly.

Just look at the prices of automatic 911's in the vintage you are suggesting, IIRC some were even 3 - speed. :woot:

49 minutes ago, EXY said:

Don't forget it had the wrong gearbox which apparently shaved £5k off the price, so it would be £20k for a manual version, allegedly.

Just look at the prices of automatic 911's in the vintage you are suggesting, IIRC some were even 3 - speed. :woot:

Less gear changes so must be faster 😜

• Like 1