PCCM+ for 997/987

Obela

Links to the manuals and discussion of some of the integration features.   I think what sets these up against the food 3rd party installs is (if you have Bose ) you retain full control rather than losing sub woofer control and audio pilot and the integration with dash and the access to the other pcm functions like sports chronos and individual memory.  As always.  Pays your money etc but if they were available for a 987.2 then I would go for it 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The aftermarket 2DIN android unit I had in an previous car was far from ideal so in my 987 I opted to upgrade to the PCCM+.

I am very pleased with the result, it works really well and it really upgraded the car now since it has DAB+,Bluetooth, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and offline navigation.

I like how it looks completely stock, it makes the car look much more modern and use able.

DIY installation was relatively easy even without any installation manual except for the youtube video from FGP. It took me about 3 hours taking it very slowly, figuring out the differences between my 987 with CRD24 and Bose compared to the 997 with PCM and Bose as shown on youtube.

If anybody has any questions let me know.

• Like 2

See here a picture i took with everything wired up. Notice how the yellow antenna is not connected to anything, the 997 on youtube did have wiring but my car did not. It does not seem to affect FM or DAB+ functionality. Also notice how the main 2 connectors have less wiring in my harness than the 997, again i do not seem to be missing functionality.

The connection for a rear camera (green connector in picture) is also not hooked up, this is intended for Macan which has one from stock. I guess it would be possible to add some aftermarket camera if you change the connector.

There are also some unused connectors in the PCCM+, there are no cables in my car or the kit that connect to these so again, I assume this is normal since everything is working.

My car also did not have any radio amplifiers on the A-pillars so I did not use the two small amplifiers, or the pass-through cable. Reception of DAB+ and FM are fine even inside my garage.

2023-01-08 11.21.15.jpg

2023-01-08 16.04.23.jpg

Edited by Martijn987
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Martijn987 said:

See here a picture i took with everything wired up. Notice how the yellow antenna is not connected to anything, the 997 on youtube did have wiring but my car did not. It does not seem to affect FM or DAB+ functionality. Also notice how the main 2 connectors have less wiring in my harness than the 997, again i do not seem to be missing functionality.

The connection for a rear camera (green connector in picture) is also not hooked up, this is intended for Macan which has one from stock. I guess it would be possible to add some aftermarket camera if you change the connector.

There are also some unused connectors in the PCCM+, there are no cables in my car or the kit that connect to these so again, I assume this is normal since everything is working.

My car also did not have any radio amplifiers on the A-pillars so I did not use the two small amplifiers, or the pass-through cable. Reception of DAB+ and FM are fine even inside my garage.

2023-01-08 11.21.15.jpg

2023-01-08 16.04.23.jpg

This looks so good. Absolutely beds in with original appearance but with modern technology. Win Win.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I’ve just spent 10% of that on a Bluetooth adapter and hoping it with my phone does 80% of the job; the 80% I want. 

You spent £180 on a Bluetooth adapter. You was robbed 😀

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

I’ve just spent 10% of that on a Bluetooth adapter and hoping it with my phone does 80% of the job; the 80% I want. 

If I wanted something to work for only 80% I could have bought a car at less than half of the price of my Porsche and saved a whole lot more than 1500 pounds...

I had a bluetooth adapter in my previous car since it was only a tenner and neatly integrated behind the radio so it looked and behaved completely stock, but that was no option on my 987.

987 originally equipped without PCM and/or CD changer like mine cannot have a Bluetooth adapter retrofitted so for me the choice was between an aftermarket 2DIN headunit or a Porsche OEM headunit. I am very happy with the choice for the OEM part since it makes no sense to put any crappy aftermarket stuff on a car as expensive as a 987 or 997. 

Edited by Martijn987
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Martijn987 said:

for me the choice was between an aftermarket 2DIN headunit or a Porsche OEM headunit.

You made at the best choice. When I can scramble the money together, I'll go this way too. Unfortunately, I need a new exhaust so the head-unit must wait a while.

• Like 1

Good luck with the exhaust @McDonald, I would recommend to save some money by installing the PCCM+ yourself. I read about a quote in the US for 4200 dollars to get an official Porsche dealer to install it (incl. parts). I am not sure how they can charge several thousand dollars for something that should take an expert 2 hours maximum. I do hope European dealers will have more reasonable prices because I can imagine not everybody feels comfortable doing it themselves.

Edited by Martijn987

9 hours ago, Gutley said:

You spent £180 on a Bluetooth adapter. You was robbed 😀

I got a Mr12v kit to plumb into my PCM2.1, like the Denison and Mobridge that used to be seen around here. They were 400 quid for some years IIRC so 180 is fine for what I want it for. I decided I don't really need maps and certainly don't need sounds in a car I drive barely 2k a year.

For those who want this, fill your boots.  This forum has no shortage of arguments about the best way to spend money due to the different needs and tastes. Martjn will learn that sooner or later.

Whatever floats your boat, I am here to give some information on the PCCM+ for 997/987 since there barely is anything available on the internet as of today.  There is tons of information available on the bluetooth kits so I assume that somebody who wants bluetooth only won't be reading this thread.

Edited by Martijn987
  • Like 1

Small update: I played around with the offline navigation, the one where you need an SD-card with the map (which I got delivered for free with my PCCM+) and I noticed there are no navigation instructions send to the gage cluster. The interaction with media such as radio station or tracks playing is working.

I suspect the reason for this is my car did not come with PCM as stock, but with the CDR24. There is a coding option for the instrument cluster called "factory setting navigation" which "If displayed, Turn by turn nav shows by default when cycled through with cluster stalk in center display area". Very likely this needs to be coded if you come from CDR24 and move to PCCM+. I am going to code this in the weekend or next week and update my findings.

It seems that if you come from PCM there is no coding required at all to get full functionality from the PCCM+, but unfortunately if you want to DIY the PCCM+ while coming from CDR24 it means you will need the right tools or a garage to code this. Although I would say it is not a deal breaker.

Edited by Martijn987
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Martijn987 said:

Small update: I played around with the offline navigation, the one where you need an SD-card with the map (which I got delivered for free with my PCCM+) and I noticed there are no navigation instructions send to the gage cluster. The interaction with media such as radio station or tracks playing is working.

I suspect the reason for this is my car did not come with PCM as stock, but with the CDR24. There is a coding option for the instrument cluster called "factory setting navigation" which "If displayed, Turn by turn nav shows by default when cycled through with cluster stalk in center display area". Very likely this needs to be coded if you come from CDR24 and move to PCCM+. I am going to code this in the weekend or next week and update my findings.

It seems that if you come from PCM there is no coding required at all to get full functionality from the PCCM+, but unfortunately if you want to DIY the PCCM+ while coming from CDR24 it means you will need the right tools or a garage to code this. Although I would say it is not a deal breaker.

That's good info - I did wonder from the Friends Green Porsche install on a 997 if there was an element of "self coding" included - they did mention a 1st "boot" setup routine of some description. Shame the official install instructions haven't surfaced yet.

Thanks for the update 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/8/2023 at 6:43 PM, Martijn987 said:

The aftermarket 2DIN android unit I had in an previous car was far from ideal so in my 987 I opted to upgrade to the PCCM+.

I am very pleased with the result, it works really well and it really upgraded the car now since it has DAB+,Bluetooth, Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and offline navigation.

I like how it looks completely stock, it makes the car look much more modern and use able.

DIY installation was relatively easy even without any installation manual except for the youtube video from FGP. It took me about 3 hours taking it very slowly, figuring out the differences between my 987 with CRD24 and Bose compared to the 997 with PCM and Bose as shown on youtube.

If anybody has any questions let me know.

Hi Martijn987

Did you have any issues with the aerial amplifier on the A pillar? Mine too has the CDR24 with ASK and the amifiers supplied in the kit are not compatible, the wiring connectors are completely different? With the original one in situ I get 3 DAB stations and nothing on AM or FM.

I've logged it with Porsche and an awaiting a response. 

Be interested to hear how you got on.

Cheers Ady

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martijn987, I bought the PCCM Plus, having some issues with it. I can’t get the orange socket to take the car plug.  The pins look identical but just won’t pus together.  Am I being too gentle? Did you get the steering wheel controls and the Bose all working correctly.  Instructions would have been nice for the PCCM

On 4/7/2023 at 7:05 PM, Mike Gammack said:

Hi Martijn987, I bought the PCCM Plus, having some issues with it. I can’t get the orange socket to take the car plug.  The pins look identical but just won’t pus together.  Am I being too gentle? Did you get the steering wheel controls and the Bose all working correctly.  Instructions would have been nice for the PCCM

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1334821-pccm-diy-guide.html