Can you remove the AOS altogether? (Plus breather pipe question)

zcacogp

Guys, 

The long-running saga of AOS grief on my 987.1C rumbles on. The car went for an MOT this week and while it was all up in the air I had a nosy underneath it (be rude not to, eh?) and it was clear that there is a big oil leak from around the AOS. Yes, that's the same AOS that was changed a few hundred miles ago and which didn't sit into it's hole properly, leading to some weird fault codes. 

So, back home, clutching my shiny new MOT certificate in my hand*, I took the engine hatch off AGAIN (I swear that the bolts on that do more RPM than the wheels do) and had a look at what was up. In short, the vent pipe from cylinders 4,5 and 6 to the AOS had cracked and was dribbling oil. Part number 987 107 246 01 and it looks like this: 

98710714701_1.jpg?width=197&height=148

(Photo from t'interweb. I know it looks like a wiggly black worm). 

New part is £50 or so. Plus P&P. And I'm seriously wondering whether to replace it with the same, which will be made of the same brittle plastic and which will probably break at the drop of a hat, or whether to try and fit a general rubber hose instead, from one end to the other, on the basis that it will last longer. How I'd fit it at the end is a good question but some ingenuity would help. Does anyone know anyone who has done this? 

OR whether to bin the AOS altogether and run without it. Obviously I'd plug up all the ports on the engine (numbered in this picture) but what would be the consequences of this? Would it affect the running of the car? Would it cause fault codes a-plenty? Would it be bad news for the emissions at MOT time? 

iwjXnaFQUQzTX-GHgVOoonqujPie1-wxObqjIhxR

All answers on a postcard .... thanks! 

* - Sadly I didn't have such a thing as the damned car failed the MOT on handbrake adjustment. Handbrake adjustment! Yes, really! I only put the handbrake on once a year and that's for the MOT, and the tester probably felt his own fingerprints on the lever from last year .... 

Hose could be cheaper directly from your local OPC and no postage.

Once sorted with new parts there should be no issues for a long time.

• Like 1

One of the jobs of the AOS is to help manage crankcase/sump pressures. My understanding is that a catch can won’t necessarily do this.

In terms of a replacement AOS pipework - the one in your engine has been through loads of heat/cool cycles and who knows how it’s been twisted during maintenance.  Am replacing the AOS pipeage on my car and it has all been sourced via the OPC and the prices seemed like good value. I’d replace the pipes and let it be. 

• Like 2

^^^^^^^^^^

Why mess with a proven system. It works and the parts if fitted correctly will outlast your ownership.

I run a catch tank on my non Porsche track day car but the engine is running flat out all the time and the standard gas recirculation system can get overwhelmed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, zcacogp said:

Guys, 

The long-running saga of AOS grief on my 987.1C rumbles on. The car went for an MOT this week and while it was all up in the air I had a nosy underneath it (be rude not to, eh?) and it was clear that there is a big oil leak from around the AOS. Yes, that's the same AOS that was changed a few hundred miles ago and which didn't sit into it's hole properly, leading to some weird fault codes. 

So, back home, clutching my shiny new MOT certificate in my hand*, I took the engine hatch off AGAIN (I swear that the bolts on that do more RPM than the wheels do) and had a look at what was up. In short, the vent pipe from cylinders 4,5 and 6 to the AOS had cracked and was dribbling oil. Part number 987 107 246 01 and it looks like this: 

98710714701_1.jpg?width=197&height=148

(Photo from t'interweb. I know it looks like a wiggly black worm). 

New part is £50 or so. Plus P&P. And I'm seriously wondering whether to replace it with the same, which will be made of the same brittle plastic and which will probably break at the drop of a hat, or whether to try and fit a general rubber hose instead, from one end to the other, on the basis that it will last longer. How I'd fit it at the end is a good question but some ingenuity would help. Does anyone know anyone who has done this? 

OR whether to bin the AOS altogether and run without it. Obviously I'd plug up all the ports on the engine (numbered in this picture) but what would be the consequences of this? Would it affect the running of the car? Would it cause fault codes a-plenty? Would it be bad news for the emissions at MOT time? 

iwjXnaFQUQzTX-GHgVOoonqujPie1-wxObqjIhxR

All answers on a postcard .... thanks! 

* - Sadly I didn't have such a thing as the damned car failed the MOT on handbrake adjustment. Handbrake adjustment! Yes, really! I only put the handbrake on once a year and that's for the MOT, and the tester probably felt his own fingerprints on the lever from last year .... 

is that the one that goes from the AOS to under the plenum? If so where did you get that price from?

32 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

is that the one that goes from the AOS to under the plenum? If so where did you get that price from?

Looks like the Design 911 price (on offer at 49.03 currently), so add VAT and delivery so nearer £68 delivered.  Should make it around £50 to £55 from an OPC if you ask for a bit of discount.

17 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Looks like the Design 911 price (on offer at 49.03 currently), so add VAT and delivery so nearer £68 delivered.  Should make it around £50 to £55 from an OPC if you ask for a bit of discount.

64 quid with Tipec5 discount 

Managed to crack mine routing the new Numeric gear cables through, which are about as flexible as wood thing on a wood day !!!

21 hours ago, zcacogp said:

I'm seriously wondering whether to replace it with the same, which will be made of the same brittle plastic and which will probably break at the drop of a hat, or whether to try and fit a general rubber hose instead, from one end to the other, on the basis that it will last longer

It’s lasted 15 years or so. Do you really expect to keep the car as long as that?