987.1 number plate plinth

832ark

10 hours ago, 832ark said:

Strange request, could someone do me a favour and measure the front number plate plinth for me please?

Many thanks!

Approx 48 x 9cm; bit hard to measure accurately with a plate over it!

1 hour ago, 832ark said:

Mine’s a 3x3 so should fit on a shorter plate, just working out what size to order to fit the plinth perfectly.

There are 3 type of license plate holder according to the PET parts diagram, if you include US and RoW lists, a regular longer narrow one 987 701 105 00, a shorter deeper version (USA) 987 701 107 00, and shorter narrower version 987 701 109 00.  Whether you can order all of these in the UK I don't know but if you need a shorter or deeper plinth ask at your local Porsche Centre and see what options of these 3 they can provide. 

Unfortunately I don't have the dims for these 3 options.

I'm struggling to find a company to make a plate to the length of the standard plinth 48cm / 19 inches. I find lots of companies offering shorter plates but not the size I need. Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Ady

4 hours ago, AdyG said:

I'm struggling to find a company to make a plate to the length of the standard plinth 48cm / 19 inches. I find lots of companies offering shorter plates but not the size I need. Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Cheers Ady

One thing I’m going to try is cutting down a plate. Got loads of old ones to practice on, not sure how well they cut though

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdyG said:

Cheers Ady

Right, I have a process for you:

1.Measure and mark the plate on both sides

2. Using a straight edge and a fresh Stanley knife score the plate heavily front and back

3. Snap the end of the plate off while resting on a hard surface like a workbench 

4. Round the corners with a file

5. Take off the sharp edge with some emery paper

6E526D44-D256-443E-9795-BC2EE7C7E018.thumb.jpeg.9c7d8475312f7ce89a7dc337abdc2201.jpeg

519AB8C9-1D21-4099-877D-3D14CE8611BA.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laney456 said:

Yep... look on my build thread page 2 and page 4 (image of the 981 plinth and then on pg4 I did an image of what has to be modified on the back)

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/90099-2005-porsche-boxster-9871-32s-guards-red/page/2/

That looks great! I’ve cut another plate down to 480mm as a test and it looks good. Just waiting to pic the car up now! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laney456 said:

Yep... look on my build thread page 2 and page 4 (image of the 981 plinth and then on pg4 I did an image of what has to be modified on the back)

https://www.BoXa.net/topic/90099-2005-porsche-boxster-9871-32s-guards-red/page/2/

The shiniest car at Gaydon. Cracking car. 👍

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Chigley said:

Take the ugly, bulky plinth off, polish the bodywork and use a vinyl stick on, www.onestopnumberplates.co.uk that are road legal. You keep the appealing aerodynamic curves of the front bumper and they enhance the front view of the car and are an attractive "add" to the car.

PJO_8840 (3).jpg

Exactly what i did and looks so much better. Kept the plinth for sale time

5 hours ago, Chigley said:

Take the ugly, bulky plinth off, polish the bodywork and use a vinyl stick on, www.onestopnumberplates.co.uk that are road legal. You keep the appealing aerodynamic curves of the front bumper and they enhance the front view of the car and are an attractive "add" to the car.

PJO_8840 (3).jpg

Has the central air dam on this bumper been deleted? 🤔

Only the S has the centre bumper opening for a 3rd radiator in the centre, but I guess it needs to be there or Porsche wouldn't have 2 solutions that they have carried over to later models.