Thoughts on 2004 2.7 for sale 44k

Th1054

Hi all,

New to the forum, I’ve been looking for my first Porsche for about a month. 

I’m seeing a car today (my 3rd) and wondered if anyone fancied volunteering any thoughts/opinions.

I can’t seem to post the Facebook link but it’s a 2004 2.7 with 44k miles, lago green over savannah, advertised just under £10k, and seems to have been well looked after. Any thoughts welcome from those having seen the ad or not seen (value for money, pros/cons of sub-50k mileage etc)

I am hoping I would not miss going for a 3.2 as I’m not the most aggressive driver in the world and am coming from a Honda civic type r with little torque anyway. 

Edited by Th1054

9 minutes ago, Th1054 said:

Hi all,

New to the forum, I’ve been looking for my first Porsche for about a month. 

I’m seeing a car today and wondered if anyone fancied volunteering any thoughts/opinions.

I can’t seem to post the Facebook link but it’s a 2004 2.7 with 44k miles, lago green, advertised just under £10k, and seems to have been well looked after. Any thoughts welcome from those having seen the ad or not seen (value for money, pros/cons of sub-50k mileage etc)

I am hoping I will not miss going for a 3.2 as I’m not the most aggressive driver in the world and am coming from a Honda civic type r with little torque anyway. 

Welcome 👍and a forum mantra is buy on condition not mileage. 

https://www.porscheclubgb.com/regions-registers/registers/modern/boxster/boxster-buyers-guides/986-buyers-guide

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 2

A vital bit of regular maintenance - clearing roof drains, otherwise electronics under the seats can be flooded from overflow. Worth a check under the seats to see if anything is wet.

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1

Just now, Bike Loon said:

Its a 986 he is going to see though ;)

That is very strong money for a 986, let alone a 2.7 

Do you specifically want a really low mileage car? That budget gets you into a 987/S very comfortably 

Oops my bad....;)

It’s that price because of the mileage, which we don’t value much here. Components are still nearly 20 years old. 
No problem going for a 2.7 with your history (different if you came from a 3.5 engine or a turbo). 
It’s a bit C ovid priced but those are falling now. And Green/savannah isn’t so popular. 
You can probably find better value elsewhere. But your money your choice :) 

• Like 1

Thank all so far, that’s helpful. I have a good list of things to check. I’m aware it’s strong money - I’d like mileage below 80 ideally, makes use of the fact I’ll do limited mileage.

I’m quite particular on colour which narrows my options quite a bit - looking for savannah or red extended leather (dislike black) and looking for black/dark green/dark red paintwork. Call me difficult. I even considered ignoring interior to widen the pool, and swapping it out myself by sourcing from breakers etc. But trying my best to find ‘the right one’ instead.

Edited by Th1054

Where about is it located?

might be worth someone who has a good deal of knowledge on these , checking it over, the price is very strong, however if this the way they are going, all good for a sellers, but not so as a purchaser.

9 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Where about is it located?

might be worth someone who has a good deal of knowledge on these , checking it over, the price is very strong, however if this the way they are going, all good for a sellers, but not so as a purchaser.

It is a service I offer , depending on location, so long as my time is covered plus expenses 

Your colour preference might work in your favour, as savannah or red interior might be more difficult to sell - difficult as in there will be a smaller pool of buyers interested. The fact that you love it is a plus 👍

Update: sale provisionally agreed at £8750. I think that’s ok for a 44k miler personally.. Need to register the switch from private plates before actual sale. Car was in great condition overall. Drove great, light clutch. Only issue was gear lever wouldn’t self-centre in neutral without guiding hand. 

I am seeing a black over red S tomorrow just in case, but chances of it being in better condition than todays’ are low..

Personally, bought a low mileage well looked after 03 2.7. Paid over the odds but wouldn’t change that as love it. Car looks great. No need for any suspension work. All still good. Been inspected twice by 2 independents. Price is what you think it is worth and what you would pay. Enjoy.

Oh, no cam rattle on start up either after being layed up. Some don’t believe that is possible though. 🙄😂🤙🏻

Edited by Fat Rat
  • Like 1

Certainly a strong price for a colour scheme that is not mainstream, but if it meets your expectations I am sure you will enjoy it.  It may all be sound now, however the bills will come so plan to squirrel away a few hundred a year as a fighting fund.  If you do need a suspension refresh it will be £1500 in parts to do it all including shocks and springs, but it can be done in steps.  Gear lever obviously should centre without assistance, but might be an excuse to remove the 986/996 shifter and replace with the shorter throw 987/997 shifter.  Also check the air con condensers as these rot out at the bottom causing the system to leak which is time, not mileage dependent and check the CV boots haven't perished.  Otherwise, clutch should be good for another 30 to 40k miles.

Hope you get one soon and enjoy it.  Come back and post up pictures and ask away with any questions however big or small, the collective on here will have a usually helpful answer.  Maybe even venture out to one of our occasional meets.

It’s look great both colour and condition.A good one looks well kept for .

Hope the sale works out .

I wouldn’t bother with a S as well , as you say if you are a careful/ gentle / cautious driver coupled with speed camera s , cones , gen traffic congestion, speed bumps the base Hp is plenty .

Similarly I opted for the base 2.9 897.2 over the eq S .  Found like this a unmolested well maintained car .

30 minutes ago, Th1054 said:

Thanks all. The car has new top mounts up front and new AC condensers and a good full service history. Overall suspension is tight. Car also has cruise.

A few photos of the car below. 

20A5A2FA-9887-45C8-9B49-1FDC6E62BE9A.jpeg

7F7FCC96-4888-4543-80A6-65999A15BC48.jpeg

DD4A82E8-2A80-4348-9F5B-869AEA5B82E8.jpeg

14B0D5DB-2522-4EF5-8E3E-155F84309BED.jpeg

9697A9FD-D90A-4BD0-8F40-D13D42173CCD.jpeg

569EDFE0-91AE-4906-88BD-7ED13E62E2AA.jpeg

That looks like a good starting point for a long relationship!  Tidy car.

That looks a lovely car, similar colour to a 16v Mk2 Golf GTI which I wish I’d kept. It would be worth having the covers off underneath to get a good look at all the brake lines if they haven’t already been replaced. They are mostly hidden, so don’t always get picked up on the MOT.

Lovely looking car I really like that colour combo it’s a wee bit different. Looks like it has been well looked after. The Boxsters are brilliant cars you won’t regret buying one. Good luck.

Looks in great condition. I personally like the colour combo too. Mine is an 04 2.7 which is plenty for me, although not driven an S so can’t really compare. Like yours, my gear lever didn’t centre but after a thorough clean and greasing it’s perfectly fine now. Enjoy👍

On 4/1/2023 at 3:56 PM, Th1054 said:

Update: sale provisionally agreed at £8750. I think that’s ok for a 44k miler personally.. Need to register the switch from private plates before actual sale. Car was in great condition overall. Drove great, light clutch. Only issue was gear lever wouldn’t self-centre in neutral without guiding hand. 

The non-self centring can happen if the car hasn't been used much.  Just needs linkage lubricating and freeing up at the gearbox end, or it will free up with some use.  Happens to me every spring after taking the car out of winter storage

• Like 2

On 4/1/2023 at 6:18 PM, Th1054 said:

Thanks all. The car has new top mounts up front and new AC condensers and a good full service history. Overall suspension is tight. Car also has cruise.

A few photos of the car below. 

20A5A2FA-9887-45C8-9B49-1FDC6E62BE9A.jpeg

7F7FCC96-4888-4543-80A6-65999A15BC48.jpeg

DD4A82E8-2A80-4348-9F5B-869AEA5B82E8.jpeg

14B0D5DB-2522-4EF5-8E3E-155F84309BED.jpeg

9697A9FD-D90A-4BD0-8F40-D13D42173CCD.jpeg

569EDFE0-91AE-4906-88BD-7ED13E62E2AA.jpeg

No “Bally brace” fitted!!