Looking for a Cayman 987.1

lostinespace

49 minutes ago, 944GS said:

Congratulations, is it just me or are the pictures all blank for everyone else too?

It that the new Cayman picture filter being applied?? @Davey P take note!

Seriously, congrats and enjoy.  I thnk you've already discovered we are friendly and helpful but enjoy a bit of fun too.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:44 PM, Darren Sapsford said:

Are you in Stevenage? I,ve got an atlas grey 2.7 as well. If you need a decent garage to look after it let me know. They are brilliant cars if looked after properly.

I'm in Shefford so not far from Stevenage, can you let me know garage details as well. Perhaps we need a Hertfordshire Bedfordshire meet up at some point, possibly Shuttleworth now they have opened up the free parking and cafe again.

Cheers

4 hours ago, Darren Sapsford said:

Messaged 👍

I am booked in with the garage in question for a Saturday free inspection, I also need alignment sorting as the steering is a little off centre and pulls to the right which Angus said he could sort. I suppose the inspection will find out if I bought a good car or not!

2 hours ago, lostinespace said:

I am booked in with the garage in question for a Saturday free inspection, I also need alignment sorting as the steering is a little off centre and pulls to the right which Angus said he could sort. I suppose the inspection will find out if I bought a good car or not!

Nice one, hopefully we don't find anything too bad 👍

disk corrosion is common.  Seems to be best way avoiding is enthusiastic braking and don’t put it away wet if it’s a daily and you get to stand on the brakes occasionally then probably you are doing the best you can to avoid.  

Learn to bleed the brakes your self .With callipers with pistons each side dealers and tech often only vac bleed the outer calliper because its easier to access .Also halves the risk of snapping a bleed screw .* 

So as the yrs pass the inner pistons esp the rears just don’t press up enough.You never really notice the technically reduced brake power because the fronts do 80 % of the work anyhow .

What you do notice , or your MOT guy is corroded inner rear disk faces .= This is where you are now ! 

* The dissimilar metal / alloy corrosion thingy occurs between the bleed screw and calliper .To mitigate a few days prior to bleeding squirt penetrating fluid 3-4 times a day around the nipples .Use a mirror to get it round the inner .You can get to them  through the spokes with the wheels on btw .

Yes as others have said unless it’s going out next morning always take it for a run after washing , standing on the brake to get drying heat into them before a lay up .Preferably in a garage imho .

I know a lot on hear don’t Garage them = asking for water related issues on many levels ( inc disk corrosion)  imho with these particular cars . 

2 hours ago, Boxer boy said:

Learn to bleed the brakes your self .With callipers with pistons each side dealers and tech often only vac bleed the outer calliper because its easier to access .Also halves the risk of snapping a bleed screw .* 

So as the yrs pass the inner pistons esp the rears just don’t press up enough.You never really notice the technically reduced brake power because the fronts do 80 % of the work anyhow .

What you do notice , or your MOT guy is corroded inner rear disk faces .= This is where you are now ! 

* The dissimilar metal / alloy corrosion thingy occurs between the bleed screw and calliper .To mitigate a few days prior to bleeding squirt penetrating fluid 3-4 times a day around the nipples .Use a mirror to get it round the inner .You can get to them  through the spokes with the wheels on btw .

Yes as others have said unless it’s going out next morning always take it for a run after washing , standing on the brake to get drying heat into them before a lay up .Preferably in a garage imho .

I know a lot on hear don’t Garage them = asking for water related issues on many levels ( inc disk corrosion)  imho with these particular cars . 

Interesting point.  With these car having fixed monobloc calipers (986 was first car in the world to fit them) as opposed to floating calipers this is a logical explanation of rusting in inner disc faces.  I'll be doing a full caliper overhaul and paint this spring so hopefully I'll notice a difference, along with Goodrich flexis.

On 4/17/2023 at 7:19 AM, ½cwt said:

Interesting point.  With these car having fixed monobloc calipers (986 was first car in the world to fit them) as opposed to floating calipers this is a logical explanation of rusting in inner disc faces.  I'll be doing a full caliper overhaul and paint this spring so hopefully I'll notice a difference, along with Goodrich flexis.

Go full hog Chris and fit the GT3 master cylinder whilst you are in there, definitely pimps  the pedal, from memory I think you go up 7mm on diameter so just simple hydraulics

Just now, bally4563 said:

Go full hog Chris and fit the GT3 master cylinder whilst you are in there, definitely pimps  the pedal, from memory I think you go up 7mm on diameter so just simple hydraulics

Just got into this getting the calipers off yesterday.  I think I'll be leaving the master cylinder, brakes are good enough for me with out that mod.  Just getting mice shiny new finish on calipers and replacing rusty brake lines and fitting Goodrich flexi hoses.

On 4/16/2023 at 1:02 PM, lostinespace said:

How did the inspection at AMS go?

On 4/23/2023 at 4:12 PM, And.rs1800 said:

How did the inspection at AMS go?

It is next Saturday, will report back. 

Been pondering about my base Cayman purchase vs the 2.7 Boxster 987 I had 2 years ago. 

Pros:I prefer the look of the Cayman over a Boxster (ducks). Feels stiffer and drives better than the Boxster, this might be subjective and my memory might not be that good. My Boxster was on 10mm dropped H&R's and although the Cayman seems to be on stock springs it feels lower and speed bumps are a right pain. 

Heated seats are ace. 

No risk of leaks from a soft top, car is kept outside unfortunately. No knicker elastic to go saggy. No roof parts to break. 

Quite nice in cabin with the windows down. 

Cons:

Can't really hear the sports exhaust like the Boxster with the roof down. 

Lack of drama putting the roof down and that motorbike-ish environment you are immersed in.  I used to get in the Boxster and usually put the roof down most trips. Still reaching for the hood switch at time despite the tin top. 

Exhaust drone and engine vibrations really hit the rear window and bounce around the car. 

The near side blind spot is nasty, I have adjusted my mirrors in the American style to point out more than I am used to. 

Things I have noticed:

Brakes are lacking feel and power. New pads, any recommendations?

The atlas grey seems to have some purple in the right light. 

The aircon was not working, I bought a can of refrigerant and topped it up and it is holding pressure and freezing. 

Ackerman effect is terrible when cold. It is on 18" Contisports with some cracking and the ride is like I have wooden wheels. Whilst the tyres look like they were bought as a set, offside rear is more worn almost to the limit on one side. My 987 Boxster was the same until I replaced the tyres with PS4's, these have lots of grip but are clearly past their best. Costco seem to be having supply issues with PS4s, and Camskill only have 235 40 18's in PS5, no rears. Not sure what to do about replacing them. 

It seems a front aircon fan is rubbing, when I press eco it goes away. Seems to be coming from the front, need to take a look. 

Steering wheel off centre slightly, seems to pull to the left a bit. Needs alignment. 

I bought a car without a knackered battery, result!

Ask amp bypassed, sounds OK with the bass at +9.

Plans:

Go to car meets and make the most of the summer with it, and thinking about a trip abroad with a club/group of cars. Using it every day for my commute which I think is better than sitting on the drive all week. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bqe8DVEhvmTvE2UJA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EXoFjxgZTHi4pFbW6

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lostinespace said:

Been pondering about my base Cayman purchase vs the 2.7 Boxster 987 I had 2 years ago. 

Pros: I prefer the look of the Cayman over a Boxster (ducks).

Blimey, you need to be careful talking like that around here....... 😂

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, lostinespace said:

Exhaust drone and engine vibrations really hit the rear window and bounce around the car. 

Think I remember hearing the solution to this is to adjust the bump rubbers on the rear hatch to make sure it absolutely can't move.

14 hours ago, lostinespace said:

It seems a front aircon fan is rubbing, when I press eco it goes away. Seems to be coming from the front, need to take a look. 

Think there isn't a specific fan for for the A/C and that its the regular radiator cooling fan(s) the kicks into "high" when the A/C is on to increase the airflow in that area - if you have ( or have access to ) a decent diags setup with porsche smarts - I believe you can spin the fans up independently of each other and without having to get things hot to check.