Generator failure - Park Vehicle safely

moonshine

Just a point I haven’t seen made yet, if the tensioner mechanism has failed due to ‘wear and tear’, could it be possible that it has put strain on the bolt that has caused it to shear? It doesn’t seem likely, but it would be worth confirming with the OPC that the tensioner itself is still in working order to exclude the possibility that this is a consequential failure from a wear and tear fault not covered by warranty.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Just a point I haven’t seen made yet, if the tensioner mechanism has failed due to ‘wear and tear’, could it be possible that it has put strain on the bolt that has caused it to shear? It doesn’t seem likely, but it would be worth confirming with the OPC that the tensioner itself is still in working order to exclude the possibility that this is a consequential failure from a wear and tear fault not covered by warranty.

I'd say that's a very likely cause of the rapid, unscheduled disassembly of the bolt but it's all worth "an ask".

Isn't that bolt known for coming loose, the symptoms are a smell of hot rubber in cabin, I've seen it reported backing out on the 987.2.

I think they will cave and cover this either as goodwill or contribution if you make enough noises.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daz05 said:

Isn't that bolt known for coming loose, the symptoms are a smell of hot rubber in cabin, I've seen it reported backing out on the 987.2.

I think they will cave and cover this either as goodwill or contribution if you make enough noises.

Interesting, not one I've personally heard of as being a thing.

The tensioner was replaced on my 2011 987.2 at around 33k miles/10 years as part of it's pre-purchase work.

Possibly point the service manager in the direction of this thread?

In my experience of Porsche bolts into alloy; they are there for the fife time for sure when you do eventually come to get then out you can't due to electrolytic corrosion of the dissimilar metals....

4 hours ago, daz05 said:

On a heat cycling use, properly designed, specified, constructed and torqued bolts should not back off - if they do, one of the four parameters is wrong.

They are either badly designed, incorrectly specified, incorrect (or faulty materials) or under (or over torqued) - as a heat cycling application cannot use thread lock to guarantee friction.

To my eyes, the mode of failure is either

A) a material defect in the bolt: or

b) the bolt backing out, causing lateral play of the tensioner on the shaft of the bolt;

either of these could cause the failure observed - none of it is the tensioner failing.

If any bolt is at risk of backing out, it should be considered an item worthy of routine inspection, and it should be on a service schedule - something as simple as “Actuate tensioner and check bolt is correctly torqued to 23Nm (17ft lbs) - would cover it off - that is a simple operation to do as part of a regular 2 yr service - so why is it not on the routine service schedule? (It sounds like it might be something doing even if not specified)

One could imagine a similar situation on say a brake calliper bolt - if the bolt were backs off ever so slightly due to thermal cycling - then bang - calliper explosively deconstructs off under braking taking wheel / suspension etc out - that is why there are torques and specs

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

personally I would not reference this thread - it will just serve to muddle the argument

stick to the simple argument - a static bolt suffered a sudden failure. this is not wear and tear and thus the repair should be covered.

• Like 3

^This.  Catastrophic failure of a non serviceable part has caused this.  Wear and tear excursions are therefore irrelevant.

Does the car have an OPC service history?  If so I would be hopeful of a significant goodwill contribution from Porsche in the worst case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Carmand said:

^This.  Catastrophic failure of a non serviceable part has caused this.  Wear and tear excursions are therefore irrelevant.

Does the car have an OPC service history?  If so I would be hopeful of a significant goodwill contribution from Porsche in the worst case.

Yes, full OPC service history, and extended warranty

A good meeting with the service manager and a great outcome.
All parts and labour covered for repair apart from parts cost for replacement belt and pully that are considered consumables
Very happy with that outcome😅

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, moonshine said:

A good meeting with the service manager and a great outcome.
All parts and labour covered for repair apart from parts cost for replacement belt and pully that are considered consumables
Very happy with that outcome😅

Nice one, it pays to push back when in the right.

• Thanks 1

He said the failure was due to the bolt seizing on the shaft  of the tensioner that results in repeated overtorqing of bolt, leading to failure.

As described in the 911 post above.

From reading that post, it appears v rare on Boxster / Cayman as the engine position  is much more protected form exposure to elements 

I think I was luckily. I think it failed on idle  / start up. 

I stopped to rescue a lamb ( seriously!!)  that had escaped from a field and was stuck on the outside of the gate. So  I stopped, ran back and got it into the field. When it restarted, I got the dash warning.

Had it let go at 4-6k RPM, the damage could have been catastrophic 😱

Perhaps the good deed saved me! 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2023 at 1:59 PM, moonshine said:

I think I was luckily. I think it failed on idle  / start up. 

I stopped to rescue a lamb ( seriously!!)  that had escaped from a field and was stuck on the outside of the gate. So  I stopped, ran back and got it into the field. When it restarted, I got the dash warning.

Had it let go at 4-6k RPM, the damage could have been catastrophic 😱

Perhaps the good deed saved me! 

I once had an issue with the belt on a VX220 Turbo, was whanging it along and fluffed an up-change.  At that instant a red light appeared on the dash so my first thought was "oh cr*p, I over-revved it and stuffed the engine".

However in the few seconds it took to pull over I'd remembered that it would be rev limited so the only way to over-rev it would be to jam in a lower gear rather than just revving up in neutral - and also the fact that everything seemed to be working normally and what I thought was an engine light was just the battery light.

Getting under the car by the roadside the serpentine belt had disappeared !!  No sign of it on the road, inside the engine bay, on the undertray - it had just disappeared 🤔

Drove home as normal, waiting for it to conk out but made the 40 min journey back without an issue.  Checked the voltage and it was on 11.3 which I thought was surprisingly good though I didn't have fans / lights / wipers running.

A good result there for you @moonshine but it's what I would've hoped for.  Ridiculous if they can turn down a warranty claim for something that isn't replaced as a service item.

• Like 1

Final update

Got my car back today!!! 

The parts on the invoice for this were for the belt and pulley (Tension Pulley P9A110221200 (£87.72) and V belt P0PBP03137A (41.95 ) plus VAT.

No labour or other parts for the repair on the invoice - no tensioner / replacement for the failed bolt on invoice

and i got the SC replaced under warranty when it was in as the minute hand had fallen off

Phew!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Final update

Got my car back today!!! 

The parts on the invoice for this were for the belt and pulley (Tension Pulley P9A110221200 (£87.72) and V belt P0PBP03137A (41.95 ) plus VAT.

No labour or other parts for the repair on the invoice - no tensioner / replacement for the failed bolt on invoice

and i got the SC replaced under warranty when it was in as the minute hand had fallen off

Phew!

Sweet !

• Like 1